Cat flung himself around.

Breed: Mix
Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up suddenly and started to fling himself around. He could walk straight he was sideways. This lasted about 1 minute. Today my cat repeated this episode. He was sleeping on the couch then suddenly he flew up and bounced around sideways. This lasted also about 1 minute. Then he was fine and walking straight again. Could you please tell me what is happening. Thank you Janice

Oh, this must be so frightening when it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is happening but I can give you some ideas.

It could be that there is some type of pain that is present. Spinal pain, especially in the area where the tail starts is a possibility. But, it's a bit unusual for pain like that to hit him while he is sleeping.

I have seen cats do something like this with an anal gland problem. If a cat's anal glands suddenly express themselves it can cause significant distress. This would be a hard thing to diagnose though. If it is anal glands you should notice a very bad smell around the anal area after this has happened.

Another possibility, which may be more likely than the others is that Jazzy had some sort of a seizure. If this is what happened then the cause would be hard to determine but in an older cat a tumor in the brain is a possibility.

I would definitely recommend a vet check up although there is a good chance that the vet will not be able to find anything wrong. However, if there is a source of pain then they can help determine this.

I hope things improve soon,

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (11686 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (9829 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (30183 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (12482 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (10989 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (32167 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (14482 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6951 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (21226 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (39117 views)