Cat flung himself around.

Breed: Mix
Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up suddenly and started to fling himself around. He could walk straight he was sideways. This lasted about 1 minute. Today my cat repeated this episode. He was sleeping on the couch then suddenly he flew up and bounced around sideways. This lasted also about 1 minute. Then he was fine and walking straight again. Could you please tell me what is happening. Thank you Janice

Oh, this must be so frightening when it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is happening but I can give you some ideas.

It could be that there is some type of pain that is present. Spinal pain, especially in the area where the tail starts is a possibility. But, it's a bit unusual for pain like that to hit him while he is sleeping.

I have seen cats do something like this with an anal gland problem. If a cat's anal glands suddenly express themselves it can cause significant distress. This would be a hard thing to diagnose though. If it is anal glands you should notice a very bad smell around the anal area after this has happened.

Another possibility, which may be more likely than the others is that Jazzy had some sort of a seizure. If this is what happened then the cause would be hard to determine but in an older cat a tumor in the brain is a possibility.

I would definitely recommend a vet check up although there is a good chance that the vet will not be able to find anything wrong. However, if there is a source of pain then they can help determine this.

I hope things improve soon,

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9861 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8678 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11980 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (32648 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10564 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8731 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (26533 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9908 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (18698 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (9197 views)