Cat flung himself around.

Breed: Mix
Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up suddenly and started to fling himself around. He could walk straight he was sideways. This lasted about 1 minute. Today my cat repeated this episode. He was sleeping on the couch then suddenly he flew up and bounced around sideways. This lasted also about 1 minute. Then he was fine and walking straight again. Could you please tell me what is happening. Thank you Janice

Oh, this must be so frightening when it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is happening but I can give you some ideas.

It could be that there is some type of pain that is present. Spinal pain, especially in the area where the tail starts is a possibility. But, it's a bit unusual for pain like that to hit him while he is sleeping.

I have seen cats do something like this with an anal gland problem. If a cat's anal glands suddenly express themselves it can cause significant distress. This would be a hard thing to diagnose though. If it is anal glands you should notice a very bad smell around the anal area after this has happened.

Another possibility, which may be more likely than the others is that Jazzy had some sort of a seizure. If this is what happened then the cause would be hard to determine but in an older cat a tumor in the brain is a possibility.

I would definitely recommend a vet check up although there is a good chance that the vet will not be able to find anything wrong. However, if there is a source of pain then they can help determine this.

I hope things improve soon,

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (15661 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14177 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8595 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12294 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (15899 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (9984 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (13534 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8266 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (78939 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7341 views)