Cat flung himself around.

Breed: Mix
Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up suddenly and started to fling himself around. He could walk straight he was sideways. This lasted about 1 minute. Today my cat repeated this episode. He was sleeping on the couch then suddenly he flew up and bounced around sideways. This lasted also about 1 minute. Then he was fine and walking straight again. Could you please tell me what is happening. Thank you Janice

Oh, this must be so frightening when it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is happening but I can give you some ideas.

It could be that there is some type of pain that is present. Spinal pain, especially in the area where the tail starts is a possibility. But, it's a bit unusual for pain like that to hit him while he is sleeping.

I have seen cats do something like this with an anal gland problem. If a cat's anal glands suddenly express themselves it can cause significant distress. This would be a hard thing to diagnose though. If it is anal glands you should notice a very bad smell around the anal area after this has happened.

Another possibility, which may be more likely than the others is that Jazzy had some sort of a seizure. If this is what happened then the cause would be hard to determine but in an older cat a tumor in the brain is a possibility.

I would definitely recommend a vet check up although there is a good chance that the vet will not be able to find anything wrong. However, if there is a source of pain then they can help determine this.

I hope things improve soon,

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (30738 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (6687 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (27463 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (8689 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (40781 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (14485 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (13575 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (10481 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (21939 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (8097 views)