Cat flung himself around.

Breed: Mix
Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up suddenly and started to fling himself around. He could walk straight he was sideways. This lasted about 1 minute. Today my cat repeated this episode. He was sleeping on the couch then suddenly he flew up and bounced around sideways. This lasted also about 1 minute. Then he was fine and walking straight again. Could you please tell me what is happening. Thank you Janice

Oh, this must be so frightening when it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is happening but I can give you some ideas.

It could be that there is some type of pain that is present. Spinal pain, especially in the area where the tail starts is a possibility. But, it's a bit unusual for pain like that to hit him while he is sleeping.

I have seen cats do something like this with an anal gland problem. If a cat's anal glands suddenly express themselves it can cause significant distress. This would be a hard thing to diagnose though. If it is anal glands you should notice a very bad smell around the anal area after this has happened.

Another possibility, which may be more likely than the others is that Jazzy had some sort of a seizure. If this is what happened then the cause would be hard to determine but in an older cat a tumor in the brain is a possibility.

I would definitely recommend a vet check up although there is a good chance that the vet will not be able to find anything wrong. However, if there is a source of pain then they can help determine this.

I hope things improve soon,

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (13070 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (8805 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (14309 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (7571 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (52696 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (13016 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (41295 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (16094 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (24343 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (7717 views)