Cat flung himself around.

Breed: Mix
Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up suddenly and started to fling himself around. He could walk straight he was sideways. This lasted about 1 minute. Today my cat repeated this episode. He was sleeping on the couch then suddenly he flew up and bounced around sideways. This lasted also about 1 minute. Then he was fine and walking straight again. Could you please tell me what is happening. Thank you Janice

Oh, this must be so frightening when it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have an exact answer for you as to what is happening but I can give you some ideas.

It could be that there is some type of pain that is present. Spinal pain, especially in the area where the tail starts is a possibility. But, it's a bit unusual for pain like that to hit him while he is sleeping.

I have seen cats do something like this with an anal gland problem. If a cat's anal glands suddenly express themselves it can cause significant distress. This would be a hard thing to diagnose though. If it is anal glands you should notice a very bad smell around the anal area after this has happened.

Another possibility, which may be more likely than the others is that Jazzy had some sort of a seizure. If this is what happened then the cause would be hard to determine but in an older cat a tumor in the brain is a possibility.

I would definitely recommend a vet check up although there is a good chance that the vet will not be able to find anything wrong. However, if there is a source of pain then they can help determine this.

I hope things improve soon,

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9249 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (31151 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11497 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (22396 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (18389 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17647 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20217 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (32924 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7926 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14410 views)