intercat aggression

Breed: tabby
We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma left them on our porch when they were about 2 months old. We have taken care of them ever since. Within the past couple of months, they have been aggressively fighting. Recently, we had them neutered to help suppress this aggression. However, we are still having trouble. Claws is the runt and he gets along with everyone. Fuzzy seems to be "picked" on or "bullied" by Red and Ratty. Fuzzy gets jumped when he comes out of the litter box. Red and Ratty are always postering towards Fuzzy. The fights are where fur is everywhere, cuts and abrasions, and defication. Fuzzy will deficate anywhere now for fear of being jumped coming out of the litterbox. We use a spray bottle to breakup the fighting. We have at least two fights a day now. They usually occur in the mornings. What can we do about this? We don't want to get rid of any of them, but we don't know what else to do.

This is a difficult situation! It is sometimes hard (but not impossible) to change aggressive behaviors in feral cats.

You mentioned you had them neutered recently. If it has been really recently, you may find that things settle down in the next couple of weeks. It will take 2-3 weeks for the hormones to get out of their system.

You may want to look into a product called feliway. It is a pheromone which is a safe hormone that is released into the air. It has been proven to help reduce intercat aggression.

Another option is to keep them separated and then after a period of a week or two gradually give them supervised time together.

Sometimes in a situation like this it helps to have one or more of the cats put on a behavior modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Often this is done for a few months and then the cat can be gradually weaned off of the medicine.

I would highly advise you to talk to your vet about a behavior consult or even a referral to a veterinary behavior specialist. There are a number of things that can be done here, but it will take a good amount of time and in depth discussion...which is more than I can do for you online.

I really hope they are doing better soon!

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11702 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (6597 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (14418 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (6811 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (7261 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9945 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (20855 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (12576 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (7847 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (16097 views)