intercat aggression

Breed: tabby
We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma left them on our porch when they were about 2 months old. We have taken care of them ever since. Within the past couple of months, they have been aggressively fighting. Recently, we had them neutered to help suppress this aggression. However, we are still having trouble. Claws is the runt and he gets along with everyone. Fuzzy seems to be "picked" on or "bullied" by Red and Ratty. Fuzzy gets jumped when he comes out of the litter box. Red and Ratty are always postering towards Fuzzy. The fights are where fur is everywhere, cuts and abrasions, and defication. Fuzzy will deficate anywhere now for fear of being jumped coming out of the litterbox. We use a spray bottle to breakup the fighting. We have at least two fights a day now. They usually occur in the mornings. What can we do about this? We don't want to get rid of any of them, but we don't know what else to do.

This is a difficult situation! It is sometimes hard (but not impossible) to change aggressive behaviors in feral cats.

You mentioned you had them neutered recently. If it has been really recently, you may find that things settle down in the next couple of weeks. It will take 2-3 weeks for the hormones to get out of their system.

You may want to look into a product called feliway. It is a pheromone which is a safe hormone that is released into the air. It has been proven to help reduce intercat aggression.

Another option is to keep them separated and then after a period of a week or two gradually give them supervised time together.

Sometimes in a situation like this it helps to have one or more of the cats put on a behavior modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Often this is done for a few months and then the cat can be gradually weaned off of the medicine.

I would highly advise you to talk to your vet about a behavior consult or even a referral to a veterinary behavior specialist. There are a number of things that can be done here, but it will take a good amount of time and in depth discussion...which is more than I can do for you online.

I really hope they are doing better soon!

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8405 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19228 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26057 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (4963 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (17926 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (67226 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (7997 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10123 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (22075 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5011 views)