intercat aggression

Breed: tabby
We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma left them on our porch when they were about 2 months old. We have taken care of them ever since. Within the past couple of months, they have been aggressively fighting. Recently, we had them neutered to help suppress this aggression. However, we are still having trouble. Claws is the runt and he gets along with everyone. Fuzzy seems to be "picked" on or "bullied" by Red and Ratty. Fuzzy gets jumped when he comes out of the litter box. Red and Ratty are always postering towards Fuzzy. The fights are where fur is everywhere, cuts and abrasions, and defication. Fuzzy will deficate anywhere now for fear of being jumped coming out of the litterbox. We use a spray bottle to breakup the fighting. We have at least two fights a day now. They usually occur in the mornings. What can we do about this? We don't want to get rid of any of them, but we don't know what else to do.

This is a difficult situation! It is sometimes hard (but not impossible) to change aggressive behaviors in feral cats.

You mentioned you had them neutered recently. If it has been really recently, you may find that things settle down in the next couple of weeks. It will take 2-3 weeks for the hormones to get out of their system.

You may want to look into a product called feliway. It is a pheromone which is a safe hormone that is released into the air. It has been proven to help reduce intercat aggression.

Another option is to keep them separated and then after a period of a week or two gradually give them supervised time together.

Sometimes in a situation like this it helps to have one or more of the cats put on a behavior modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Often this is done for a few months and then the cat can be gradually weaned off of the medicine.

I would highly advise you to talk to your vet about a behavior consult or even a referral to a veterinary behavior specialist. There are a number of things that can be done here, but it will take a good amount of time and in depth discussion...which is more than I can do for you online.

I really hope they are doing better soon!

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (115946 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (5739 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (5327 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (30106 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (11560 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (8241 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (30266 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (25109 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5852 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4896 views)