Cat has scabs on neck.

Breed: Short Hair Tabby
Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly started about 3 weeks ago. He now has scabs all over his neck and head from scratching I suppose. I put a moon collar on him to make him stop scratching.. and as soon as I take it off he starts right back up again. I checked for fleas and even gave him a bath.. NOTHING has helped.. any suggestions? He is eating and drinking, no vomitting. Thanks!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to scratch like this.

Fleas are still possible, even if you're not seeing them. Read this article on fleas for more information.

It's also possible that TJ has some kind of steroid responsive dermatitis. There are several conditions such as eosinophilic granuloma, eosinophilic plaque, or idiopathic ulcerative dermatitis that usually go away once the cat has received a steroid injection from the vet. Sometimes two injections, two weeks apart are necessary.

Food allergies can be a component, but it's unlikely that a food allergy on its own would do this.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal condition.

In any case it sounds like poor TJ really needs to see a vet. Hope everything is ok!

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9120 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32227 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (51672 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56173 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (54724 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15249 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19175 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (25689 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (17830 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (45357 views)