Cat has scabs on neck.

Breed: Short Hair Tabby
Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly started about 3 weeks ago. He now has scabs all over his neck and head from scratching I suppose. I put a moon collar on him to make him stop scratching.. and as soon as I take it off he starts right back up again. I checked for fleas and even gave him a bath.. NOTHING has helped.. any suggestions? He is eating and drinking, no vomitting. Thanks!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to scratch like this.

Fleas are still possible, even if you're not seeing them. Read this article on fleas for more information.

It's also possible that TJ has some kind of steroid responsive dermatitis. There are several conditions such as eosinophilic granuloma, eosinophilic plaque, or idiopathic ulcerative dermatitis that usually go away once the cat has received a steroid injection from the vet. Sometimes two injections, two weeks apart are necessary.

Food allergies can be a component, but it's unlikely that a food allergy on its own would do this.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal condition.

In any case it sounds like poor TJ really needs to see a vet. Hope everything is ok!

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (7278 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9163 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (24386 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (10462 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (21362 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (8392 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (12983 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (32657 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (11684 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (23357 views)