Cat has scabs on neck.

Breed: Short Hair Tabby
Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly started about 3 weeks ago. He now has scabs all over his neck and head from scratching I suppose. I put a moon collar on him to make him stop scratching.. and as soon as I take it off he starts right back up again. I checked for fleas and even gave him a bath.. NOTHING has helped.. any suggestions? He is eating and drinking, no vomitting. Thanks!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to scratch like this.

Fleas are still possible, even if you're not seeing them. Read this article on fleas for more information.

It's also possible that TJ has some kind of steroid responsive dermatitis. There are several conditions such as eosinophilic granuloma, eosinophilic plaque, or idiopathic ulcerative dermatitis that usually go away once the cat has received a steroid injection from the vet. Sometimes two injections, two weeks apart are necessary.

Food allergies can be a component, but it's unlikely that a food allergy on its own would do this.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal condition.

In any case it sounds like poor TJ really needs to see a vet. Hope everything is ok!

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7694 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (6925 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (9343 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (14613 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4615 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (8995 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (6836 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8297 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (11725 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9170 views)