Coughing after spay.

Breed: DSH calico
My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still does. Then she started coughing everytime she drank water and has slowly been getting worse. Today she stopped drinking water so I watered down her food(she is still eating a littl)with pedialyte and she drank a little then the coughing started again. It is a cough/wheezing like she has something caught in her throat. Then today she was moaning a little and sitting hunchbackeed and won't eat that much.She also feels hot around her head. She was not given bordetella but did get rabies.(She was spayed at the humane society.) She has always been an indoor cat and had two distemper shots and one of her leukemia. I am trying to treat her at home because we both lost our jobs recently but will take her because I don't want to lose her. Can I give her a humane antibiotic? Is it ok to give her pedialyte?

These are definitely not normal symptoms to see in a cat after a spay.

As this was asked in the free question section, you likely have resolved the issue by now (as it takes a week or more for me to get these questions) but I will answer the question in case it helps other people who are searching for information.

Some animals can have a mild cough after having a surgery. For most surgeries there is a tube placed in the animal's trachea to help them to breathe. Sometimes this tube can cause some mild irritation which can cause a mild cough for a few days.

However, in your case, your cat does not want to eat or drink and this is always a cause for concern. Mild irritation from an endotracheal tube would not cause a lack of appetite. It sounds like there may be something more serious going on. One thing that could be related to the surgery is if your cat had aspirated something into her lungs. This could cause a serious issue called aspiration pneumonia.

In any case, whenever a cat is refusing to eat or drink and it goes on for more than 24 hours it is very important to have her see a vet.

It is not right to give her human antibiotics. If she needs antibiotics your vet will advise you on the dosage and type.

I really hope that she is ok!

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10827 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (9841 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (12278 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11595 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8887 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (16522 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (11875 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (7887 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (21434 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7769 views)