Coughing after spay.

Breed: DSH calico
My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still does. Then she started coughing everytime she drank water and has slowly been getting worse. Today she stopped drinking water so I watered down her food(she is still eating a littl)with pedialyte and she drank a little then the coughing started again. It is a cough/wheezing like she has something caught in her throat. Then today she was moaning a little and sitting hunchbackeed and won't eat that much.She also feels hot around her head. She was not given bordetella but did get rabies.(She was spayed at the humane society.) She has always been an indoor cat and had two distemper shots and one of her leukemia. I am trying to treat her at home because we both lost our jobs recently but will take her because I don't want to lose her. Can I give her a humane antibiotic? Is it ok to give her pedialyte?

These are definitely not normal symptoms to see in a cat after a spay.

As this was asked in the free question section, you likely have resolved the issue by now (as it takes a week or more for me to get these questions) but I will answer the question in case it helps other people who are searching for information.

Some animals can have a mild cough after having a surgery. For most surgeries there is a tube placed in the animal's trachea to help them to breathe. Sometimes this tube can cause some mild irritation which can cause a mild cough for a few days.

However, in your case, your cat does not want to eat or drink and this is always a cause for concern. Mild irritation from an endotracheal tube would not cause a lack of appetite. It sounds like there may be something more serious going on. One thing that could be related to the surgery is if your cat had aspirated something into her lungs. This could cause a serious issue called aspiration pneumonia.

In any case, whenever a cat is refusing to eat or drink and it goes on for more than 24 hours it is very important to have her see a vet.

It is not right to give her human antibiotics. If she needs antibiotics your vet will advise you on the dosage and type.

I really hope that she is ok!

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8462 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4637 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (7236 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5648 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (10244 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17683 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (16794 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (25603 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (43311 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8525 views)