Coughing after spay.

Breed: DSH calico
My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still does. Then she started coughing everytime she drank water and has slowly been getting worse. Today she stopped drinking water so I watered down her food(she is still eating a littl)with pedialyte and she drank a little then the coughing started again. It is a cough/wheezing like she has something caught in her throat. Then today she was moaning a little and sitting hunchbackeed and won't eat that much.She also feels hot around her head. She was not given bordetella but did get rabies.(She was spayed at the humane society.) She has always been an indoor cat and had two distemper shots and one of her leukemia. I am trying to treat her at home because we both lost our jobs recently but will take her because I don't want to lose her. Can I give her a humane antibiotic? Is it ok to give her pedialyte?

These are definitely not normal symptoms to see in a cat after a spay.

As this was asked in the free question section, you likely have resolved the issue by now (as it takes a week or more for me to get these questions) but I will answer the question in case it helps other people who are searching for information.

Some animals can have a mild cough after having a surgery. For most surgeries there is a tube placed in the animal's trachea to help them to breathe. Sometimes this tube can cause some mild irritation which can cause a mild cough for a few days.

However, in your case, your cat does not want to eat or drink and this is always a cause for concern. Mild irritation from an endotracheal tube would not cause a lack of appetite. It sounds like there may be something more serious going on. One thing that could be related to the surgery is if your cat had aspirated something into her lungs. This could cause a serious issue called aspiration pneumonia.

In any case, whenever a cat is refusing to eat or drink and it goes on for more than 24 hours it is very important to have her see a vet.

It is not right to give her human antibiotics. If she needs antibiotics your vet will advise you on the dosage and type.

I really hope that she is ok!

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10878 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (25781 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (11196 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (28959 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (38273 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (13404 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (8377 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22908 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (20078 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14822 views)