Coughing after spay.

Breed: DSH calico
My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still does. Then she started coughing everytime she drank water and has slowly been getting worse. Today she stopped drinking water so I watered down her food(she is still eating a littl)with pedialyte and she drank a little then the coughing started again. It is a cough/wheezing like she has something caught in her throat. Then today she was moaning a little and sitting hunchbackeed and won't eat that much.She also feels hot around her head. She was not given bordetella but did get rabies.(She was spayed at the humane society.) She has always been an indoor cat and had two distemper shots and one of her leukemia. I am trying to treat her at home because we both lost our jobs recently but will take her because I don't want to lose her. Can I give her a humane antibiotic? Is it ok to give her pedialyte?

These are definitely not normal symptoms to see in a cat after a spay.

As this was asked in the free question section, you likely have resolved the issue by now (as it takes a week or more for me to get these questions) but I will answer the question in case it helps other people who are searching for information.

Some animals can have a mild cough after having a surgery. For most surgeries there is a tube placed in the animal's trachea to help them to breathe. Sometimes this tube can cause some mild irritation which can cause a mild cough for a few days.

However, in your case, your cat does not want to eat or drink and this is always a cause for concern. Mild irritation from an endotracheal tube would not cause a lack of appetite. It sounds like there may be something more serious going on. One thing that could be related to the surgery is if your cat had aspirated something into her lungs. This could cause a serious issue called aspiration pneumonia.

In any case, whenever a cat is refusing to eat or drink and it goes on for more than 24 hours it is very important to have her see a vet.

It is not right to give her human antibiotics. If she needs antibiotics your vet will advise you on the dosage and type.

I really hope that she is ok!

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8324 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (5695 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (91750 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8496 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12495 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (14947 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17593 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11691 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27118 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8302 views)