Swollen nose.

Breed: Samoyed
My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top. I have noticed this slowly raising for 5 weeks now. There is no pain when touched, no roof of mouth abnormalities or tooth decay. No discharge from the nose. The nose itself is moist but drier than normal. Unfortunately she has always liked to sun bake and although I have tried to stop her, I can't when not around. We live in Australia.
I took her to the vet this week who seemed to have no idea what it was, sending me home with 10 days of antibiotics. Her temperature was normal. I was given mixed messages from them, saying it was of "concern" and I should have xrays if it doesnt improve, but said they would double check with the other vet on site. On return she said xray would show nothing and I should not be concerned ! I am concerned as her mother died just 4 months ago from a nasal tumour at 11yrs old (although presented completely differently ie: single nasal discharge, sneezing, eye deformity). I realise genetics can play a role, however it can also not be associated also. This dog is in every way like her father also, not her mother.
What can I do?

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of pemphigus or discoid lupus.

A tumor is unfortunately a possibility as well.

It sounds like a biopsy of the area would be the next step.

Hope everything is ok!

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7051 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12406 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (25198 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (9138 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (9240 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (13275 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (7082 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15906 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (12383 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10584 views)