Swollen nose.

Breed: Samoyed
My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top. I have noticed this slowly raising for 5 weeks now. There is no pain when touched, no roof of mouth abnormalities or tooth decay. No discharge from the nose. The nose itself is moist but drier than normal. Unfortunately she has always liked to sun bake and although I have tried to stop her, I can't when not around. We live in Australia.
I took her to the vet this week who seemed to have no idea what it was, sending me home with 10 days of antibiotics. Her temperature was normal. I was given mixed messages from them, saying it was of "concern" and I should have xrays if it doesnt improve, but said they would double check with the other vet on site. On return she said xray would show nothing and I should not be concerned ! I am concerned as her mother died just 4 months ago from a nasal tumour at 11yrs old (although presented completely differently ie: single nasal discharge, sneezing, eye deformity). I realise genetics can play a role, however it can also not be associated also. This dog is in every way like her father also, not her mother.
What can I do?

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of pemphigus or discoid lupus.

A tumor is unfortunately a possibility as well.

It sounds like a biopsy of the area would be the next step.

Hope everything is ok!

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10312 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (10008 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (103400 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37983 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (24441 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8824 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (12270 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (41435 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5813 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (18307 views)