Dog can't bark.

Breed: pembroke welsh corgi
I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds like she has been debarked but she hasnt been is it just an age thing?

Interesting question.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have a change in her voice or bark after a surgery, but this should only last for a few days. When this happens we usually blame it on irritation from the tube that was placed in her windpipe to give her her gas anesthetic.

We don't often see laryngitis in dogs. A change in bark can mean a few things:

• Some dogs will lose their bark because they have gone hoarse from constantly barking.

• Some dogs can get a condition called laryngeal paralysis where the larynx doesn't open properly. This is not common in corgis though. It happens more in labs.

• A tumor on or near the larynx could do this.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her.

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (3055 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (7959 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (45932 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (20769 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (56737 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (167085 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (86483 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (4058 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (4345 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (3482 views)