FIV positive and diarrhea.

Breed: DSH
Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has had extremely smelly diarrhea and gas since the day I trapped him. He got a dose of Revolution his first day with me (administered at the Vet's office). A week went by and he continued to have the stinkiest diarrhea ever(pudding consistency). He was then put on Metronidazole. No change. I took a poop sample to the Vet and he still had Hookworms. I then gave him one round of Pyrantel (9 days ago and 2nd pill due this week). Still no change. He was also put on Probiotics 5 days ago. His poop went from pudding consistency to a thicker paste but still not much of a shape and still extremely smelly with a lot of gas too. The next thing the Vet wants me to try is E/N canned food. He is snubbing it AND I have a multi-cat household so that is going to be difficult. Of course, I will try to get him to eat the E/N to see if that really makes any difference but I just wanted to check to see if you would have any other thoughts on this subject that I could possibly approach my doctor with. Is there anything else the doctor should be looking for and is there anything else you would try? Thanks so much!

Regards,
Shelley Rosa

Cases like this are really tough. Diarrhea in kittens can often be hard to figure out. And, the fact that this little guy has FIV makes things even more difficult.

It sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I would. They will likely want to repeat the fecal exam to see if the hookworms have cleared up. If not, they may add a different dewormer like fenbendazole.

If he doesn't like the e/n food then there are other options. This food is one that is easy on the digestive tract, but there are other brands which your vet can suggest for you as well.

The other thought that I had was to ask your vet if it's possible that this little guy could have FIP. Hopefully this is not the case as there is no cure for FIP. Kittens with FIP can have diarrhea that is difficult to treat. There is no distinct test for FIP. But, usually cats with FIP will have changes in their protein levels (ALB and GLOB) that can be seen on bloodwork.

It's also possible that we just need to be patient. This little guy has some immune system challenges. We have already seen some improvement and hopefully things will continue to improve.

It does sound like he is getting good care. I would trust the advice that you are being given.

Best of luck,

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9035 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (15406 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5187 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (12374 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (7250 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (9113 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (22486 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (6816 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (20537 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (5522 views)