Crusty cat nipple.

Breed: long haired looks li
My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and attached was a white thing sort of like a pimple. It left a small hole but no liquids came out, no bleeding, no redness its not swollen or anything is this ok??? He also Had another nipple do that about 8 months ago

Sorry to hear that Hobo may be having problems.

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Hobo's skin but I can give you my thoughts.

My first thought is that it is unlikely to be anything serious. I have seen some cats that have crusty lesions around or on their nipple. Sometimes if you pick at it or pull it there is a white residue that comes out. I personally think it is dead skin and cells that collect in mammary ducts but I don't know for sure what it is.

It is also possible that this is a small wound that is infected. However, if he did this previously and there is no redness at all this is pretty unlikely.

There is a parasite called a cuterebra which can live under the skin and eventually surfaces and can be pulled out. However, this is usually quite large when it comes out and looks like a big grub, so I don't think this is what you are describing.

In my opinion, as long as it is not bothersome and there is no recurrence it is likely nothing to worry about. The next time you have your vet examine him, mention this and they can have a look at his nipples. And, if he has this problem again but there is inflammation or a large bump then a vet visit is a good idea.

After looking at him today he has several nipples that are hard and crusty like the one that pulled out is that normal for most of them to be that way? Thanks again for your time. RUTH

You're very welcome Ruth. This is a tough one for me to comment on without seeing Hobo. Is there any way you could take a picture of the area and send it to me? If you can get one you can email it to info@askavetquestion.com.

I won't be able to say 100% without seeing him in person but at least I can tell you whether it is worthwhile getting him checked out.

yes I will do that probably around 4 p.m. a tomorrow and again thank you so much for all your help

You're welcome! Looking forward to your photo.

Thanks for the great photos Ruth!

It looks to me like this is unlikely to be anything to worry about. The "plug" that is in the first photo is likely a collection of dead skin cells that has formed a big clump. And the photos of the nipple look quite normal.

However, no online consult can take the place of an in person vet visit. So, if you are seeing any redness, swelling or you just think something is not right then I'd have your vet take a look.

I will have him checked out he just had a yearly checkup in July so I wasnt going to rush him back if not necessary. I really appreciate your time and Thanks again. Have a great holiday weekend. Ruth

You're very welcome Ruth! I'd love to hear what your vet says.

ok i will probably take him next week and i will let you know

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (11681 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (7647 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (41297 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (47717 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (9140 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5940 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (26985 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8880 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10963 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (9320 views)