Possible stroke?

Breed: Pitbull/Labrador
Hi,
Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and the front left tire of the truck made contact with her. The collision broke her left front paw right above the lowest joint, and also hit her in the left side of the face. I had to have her put in a cast for a month, and take Cephalexin. The cast had to come off a week early from it coming loose and creating an open wound on the effected leg. So, I kept her pretty much cage bound for the next week. I went to have the stitches removed a week or two later, and noticed in the waiting room at the vet she was being very aggressive and barking and trying to get free to get after the other dogs. She has never in the almost 3 years I've had her acted aggressively towards anything. I noticed also her eyes have begun to bulge, and the whites are very blood shot. She won't pay attention to anything, or listen to most commands. It's like she's a completely different dog.
I told you all of that to ask this, is it possible that she may have had some kind of bleeding in her head after getting hit that would cause a hemorrhagic stroke? And also that we might not have noticed until a couple weeks ago due to the medication she was on? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

-Joe

Oh dear,

Sorry to hear that Nyssa had this accident.

It is not common to see brain damage leading to aggressive behavior. However, I did have a case years ago of an aggressive doberman that was hit head on and was in a coma for several days. When the dog woke up she was no longer aggressive and was a real sweetheart. So, somehow the injury in her brain did affect her temperment.

We don't often see strokes in dogs...it seems unlikely in your dog's case.

The bloodshot eyes could be because of bruising. This can often take a few days to show up and can take a few weeks to go away. However, the bulging is a little bit of a concern. It would be a great idea to have your vet measure the pressure in her eyes to see if she has an increase there. It may possibly be that there is glaucoma (an increase of pressure in the eyes), or that there still is some swelling in the brain. Unfortunately the only way that we could assess if this was true is to do a CAT scan or MRI and this is quite expensive.

I think the more likely explanation for her behavior changes is that she still has some pain and also some traumatic memories that are associated with the vet hospital. Is she still on anti-inflammatory medication? If not it may be a good idea to talk to your vet about putting her back on some medicine for a while.

I really hope she feels better soon!

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (7358 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (6137 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5526 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (22786 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9307 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (54062 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (75761 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (5223 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (10737 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9102 views)