Possible stroke?

Breed: Pitbull/Labrador
Hi,
Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and the front left tire of the truck made contact with her. The collision broke her left front paw right above the lowest joint, and also hit her in the left side of the face. I had to have her put in a cast for a month, and take Cephalexin. The cast had to come off a week early from it coming loose and creating an open wound on the effected leg. So, I kept her pretty much cage bound for the next week. I went to have the stitches removed a week or two later, and noticed in the waiting room at the vet she was being very aggressive and barking and trying to get free to get after the other dogs. She has never in the almost 3 years I've had her acted aggressively towards anything. I noticed also her eyes have begun to bulge, and the whites are very blood shot. She won't pay attention to anything, or listen to most commands. It's like she's a completely different dog.
I told you all of that to ask this, is it possible that she may have had some kind of bleeding in her head after getting hit that would cause a hemorrhagic stroke? And also that we might not have noticed until a couple weeks ago due to the medication she was on? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

-Joe

Oh dear,

Sorry to hear that Nyssa had this accident.

It is not common to see brain damage leading to aggressive behavior. However, I did have a case years ago of an aggressive doberman that was hit head on and was in a coma for several days. When the dog woke up she was no longer aggressive and was a real sweetheart. So, somehow the injury in her brain did affect her temperment.

We don't often see strokes in dogs...it seems unlikely in your dog's case.

The bloodshot eyes could be because of bruising. This can often take a few days to show up and can take a few weeks to go away. However, the bulging is a little bit of a concern. It would be a great idea to have your vet measure the pressure in her eyes to see if she has an increase there. It may possibly be that there is glaucoma (an increase of pressure in the eyes), or that there still is some swelling in the brain. Unfortunately the only way that we could assess if this was true is to do a CAT scan or MRI and this is quite expensive.

I think the more likely explanation for her behavior changes is that she still has some pain and also some traumatic memories that are associated with the vet hospital. Is she still on anti-inflammatory medication? If not it may be a good idea to talk to your vet about putting her back on some medicine for a while.

I really hope she feels better soon!

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (41640 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (14251 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7435 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (18640 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4089 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23117 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5321 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8596 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8759 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (5822 views)