Dog not eating

Breed: boxer/lab
i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the very hot weather is here he re he will not eat at his normal times.morning and night.but he is the same as normal,he plays with the pitbulls (3)next door as we have the same fenced in backyard,they are the same pack ase they have growen up together.do i leave his food down all the time or do do i continue to stay at regular feeding times

Hi and thanks for your question.

Is Angus neutered? If not, often not being neutered can cause stress (because he has strong desires to breed) and a dog can go several days without food.

If he is bright and alert and not losing weight then it may well be that he is not eating because of the heat. I generally recommend putting his food down at regular feeding times rather than leaving it out all of the time.

You may also want to try him with a different type of food. Sometimes a bag of food will grow mouldy or stale and a dog will not want to eat it.

If he is losing weight or if you think he is just not well it is possible that his lack of appetite is due to an illness of some sort. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope he does ok!

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7834 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (14262 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14162 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (16278 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (82840 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (14128 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22445 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (28410 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30961 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (9327 views)