Dog not eating

Breed: boxer/lab
i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the very hot weather is here he re he will not eat at his normal times.morning and night.but he is the same as normal,he plays with the pitbulls (3)next door as we have the same fenced in backyard,they are the same pack ase they have growen up together.do i leave his food down all the time or do do i continue to stay at regular feeding times

Hi and thanks for your question.

Is Angus neutered? If not, often not being neutered can cause stress (because he has strong desires to breed) and a dog can go several days without food.

If he is bright and alert and not losing weight then it may well be that he is not eating because of the heat. I generally recommend putting his food down at regular feeding times rather than leaving it out all of the time.

You may also want to try him with a different type of food. Sometimes a bag of food will grow mouldy or stale and a dog will not want to eat it.

If he is losing weight or if you think he is just not well it is possible that his lack of appetite is due to an illness of some sort. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope he does ok!

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (168097 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (5045 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19730 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (40172 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11598 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9526 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8595 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11423 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5865 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (15035 views)