Dog not eating

Breed: boxer/lab
i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the very hot weather is here he re he will not eat at his normal times.morning and night.but he is the same as normal,he plays with the pitbulls (3)next door as we have the same fenced in backyard,they are the same pack ase they have growen up together.do i leave his food down all the time or do do i continue to stay at regular feeding times

Hi and thanks for your question.

Is Angus neutered? If not, often not being neutered can cause stress (because he has strong desires to breed) and a dog can go several days without food.

If he is bright and alert and not losing weight then it may well be that he is not eating because of the heat. I generally recommend putting his food down at regular feeding times rather than leaving it out all of the time.

You may also want to try him with a different type of food. Sometimes a bag of food will grow mouldy or stale and a dog will not want to eat it.

If he is losing weight or if you think he is just not well it is possible that his lack of appetite is due to an illness of some sort. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope he does ok!

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (13830 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15689 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12639 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10223 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (16292 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (8904 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5644 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10354 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (26038 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (15390 views)