Dog not eating

Breed: boxer/lab
i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the very hot weather is here he re he will not eat at his normal times.morning and night.but he is the same as normal,he plays with the pitbulls (3)next door as we have the same fenced in backyard,they are the same pack ase they have growen up together.do i leave his food down all the time or do do i continue to stay at regular feeding times

Hi and thanks for your question.

Is Angus neutered? If not, often not being neutered can cause stress (because he has strong desires to breed) and a dog can go several days without food.

If he is bright and alert and not losing weight then it may well be that he is not eating because of the heat. I generally recommend putting his food down at regular feeding times rather than leaving it out all of the time.

You may also want to try him with a different type of food. Sometimes a bag of food will grow mouldy or stale and a dog will not want to eat it.

If he is losing weight or if you think he is just not well it is possible that his lack of appetite is due to an illness of some sort. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope he does ok!

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (8684 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11086 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (18236 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (10656 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (14108 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8336 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (29776 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8110 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (25650 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (15264 views)