Dog not eating

Breed: boxer/lab
i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the very hot weather is here he re he will not eat at his normal times.morning and night.but he is the same as normal,he plays with the pitbulls (3)next door as we have the same fenced in backyard,they are the same pack ase they have growen up together.do i leave his food down all the time or do do i continue to stay at regular feeding times

Hi and thanks for your question.

Is Angus neutered? If not, often not being neutered can cause stress (because he has strong desires to breed) and a dog can go several days without food.

If he is bright and alert and not losing weight then it may well be that he is not eating because of the heat. I generally recommend putting his food down at regular feeding times rather than leaving it out all of the time.

You may also want to try him with a different type of food. Sometimes a bag of food will grow mouldy or stale and a dog will not want to eat it.

If he is losing weight or if you think he is just not well it is possible that his lack of appetite is due to an illness of some sort. So, if you think this may be the case then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope he does ok!

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (41692 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (11854 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (15118 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (22560 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (16116 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (8354 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (16232 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (10486 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (9636 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (41231 views)