Cosequin questions

Breed: persian
Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left hip joint. He is displaying difficulty in walking and normal activities. i have ordered cosequin as it is not available here. I would like to start both cats with cosequin. the directions say to sprinkle on food. This is not going to work since I will never know who ate the coseqin. Can the contents of the capsules be sprinkled in their mouths. Deja is on a steroid ( long lasting) because he bites himself Hopefully Cosequin will be compatible with the steroid. I cannot give him a NSAID because of the steroid. Would have liked to switched him to Benadryl but it is not available here either at least not in a liquid form do have the gel Could this be applied to a cat?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that Deja has issues with arthritis. This can be difficult to treat in cats.

Cosequin is an excellent product to use. The good news is that most cats take it really well. They designed the capsule so that you can open it up and sprinkle it on food, but you still can give it orally like a pill. It is definitely safe to sprinkle it directly in their mouth - I'm just not sure how easy that would be to do.

Another thing you could do is give each cat a small treat of canned food and put the cosequin in each cat's portion. This way they should eat up the canned food quickly and each get their dose. If it happens the odd time that a cat gets a double dose it won't be harmful at all.

I don't find that benadryl works well for many things in cats. I'm assuming that you are hoping to substitute the steroids with Benadryl? It likely won't be very helpful.

I think it's a great idea to give the cosequin a try and see how things go. Many cats do extremely well on it.

Thank you
Cats don't like canned food at all.
More important is OK to give Deja Cosequin with his steroid treatment

Thanks

Ah, sorry that I forgot that part! It is definitely safe to give cosequin along with steroids.

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (8570 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (8666 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (7156 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (46783 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (15103 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (7934 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (6957 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (9925 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (5821 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (6402 views)