Cosequin questions

Breed: persian
Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left hip joint. He is displaying difficulty in walking and normal activities. i have ordered cosequin as it is not available here. I would like to start both cats with cosequin. the directions say to sprinkle on food. This is not going to work since I will never know who ate the coseqin. Can the contents of the capsules be sprinkled in their mouths. Deja is on a steroid ( long lasting) because he bites himself Hopefully Cosequin will be compatible with the steroid. I cannot give him a NSAID because of the steroid. Would have liked to switched him to Benadryl but it is not available here either at least not in a liquid form do have the gel Could this be applied to a cat?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that Deja has issues with arthritis. This can be difficult to treat in cats.

Cosequin is an excellent product to use. The good news is that most cats take it really well. They designed the capsule so that you can open it up and sprinkle it on food, but you still can give it orally like a pill. It is definitely safe to sprinkle it directly in their mouth - I'm just not sure how easy that would be to do.

Another thing you could do is give each cat a small treat of canned food and put the cosequin in each cat's portion. This way they should eat up the canned food quickly and each get their dose. If it happens the odd time that a cat gets a double dose it won't be harmful at all.

I don't find that benadryl works well for many things in cats. I'm assuming that you are hoping to substitute the steroids with Benadryl? It likely won't be very helpful.

I think it's a great idea to give the cosequin a try and see how things go. Many cats do extremely well on it.

Thank you
Cats don't like canned food at all.
More important is OK to give Deja Cosequin with his steroid treatment

Thanks

Ah, sorry that I forgot that part! It is definitely safe to give cosequin along with steroids.

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7924 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7906 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (15078 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16563 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (22575 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (11151 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16604 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (27732 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11478 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12946 views)