Cosequin questions

Breed: persian
Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left hip joint. He is displaying difficulty in walking and normal activities. i have ordered cosequin as it is not available here. I would like to start both cats with cosequin. the directions say to sprinkle on food. This is not going to work since I will never know who ate the coseqin. Can the contents of the capsules be sprinkled in their mouths. Deja is on a steroid ( long lasting) because he bites himself Hopefully Cosequin will be compatible with the steroid. I cannot give him a NSAID because of the steroid. Would have liked to switched him to Benadryl but it is not available here either at least not in a liquid form do have the gel Could this be applied to a cat?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that Deja has issues with arthritis. This can be difficult to treat in cats.

Cosequin is an excellent product to use. The good news is that most cats take it really well. They designed the capsule so that you can open it up and sprinkle it on food, but you still can give it orally like a pill. It is definitely safe to sprinkle it directly in their mouth - I'm just not sure how easy that would be to do.

Another thing you could do is give each cat a small treat of canned food and put the cosequin in each cat's portion. This way they should eat up the canned food quickly and each get their dose. If it happens the odd time that a cat gets a double dose it won't be harmful at all.

I don't find that benadryl works well for many things in cats. I'm assuming that you are hoping to substitute the steroids with Benadryl? It likely won't be very helpful.

I think it's a great idea to give the cosequin a try and see how things go. Many cats do extremely well on it.

Thank you
Cats don't like canned food at all.
More important is OK to give Deja Cosequin with his steroid treatment

Thanks

Ah, sorry that I forgot that part! It is definitely safe to give cosequin along with steroids.

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (26057 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25248 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22220 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18503 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (25221 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (8634 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15052 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13760 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16460 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23043 views)