Cosequin questions

Breed: persian
Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left hip joint. He is displaying difficulty in walking and normal activities. i have ordered cosequin as it is not available here. I would like to start both cats with cosequin. the directions say to sprinkle on food. This is not going to work since I will never know who ate the coseqin. Can the contents of the capsules be sprinkled in their mouths. Deja is on a steroid ( long lasting) because he bites himself Hopefully Cosequin will be compatible with the steroid. I cannot give him a NSAID because of the steroid. Would have liked to switched him to Benadryl but it is not available here either at least not in a liquid form do have the gel Could this be applied to a cat?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that Deja has issues with arthritis. This can be difficult to treat in cats.

Cosequin is an excellent product to use. The good news is that most cats take it really well. They designed the capsule so that you can open it up and sprinkle it on food, but you still can give it orally like a pill. It is definitely safe to sprinkle it directly in their mouth - I'm just not sure how easy that would be to do.

Another thing you could do is give each cat a small treat of canned food and put the cosequin in each cat's portion. This way they should eat up the canned food quickly and each get their dose. If it happens the odd time that a cat gets a double dose it won't be harmful at all.

I don't find that benadryl works well for many things in cats. I'm assuming that you are hoping to substitute the steroids with Benadryl? It likely won't be very helpful.

I think it's a great idea to give the cosequin a try and see how things go. Many cats do extremely well on it.

Thank you
Cats don't like canned food at all.
More important is OK to give Deja Cosequin with his steroid treatment

Thanks

Ah, sorry that I forgot that part! It is definitely safe to give cosequin along with steroids.

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (6017 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9798 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (17219 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (16092 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (7892 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (14080 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11678 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (53191 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (5917 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10979 views)