Cosequin questions

Breed: persian
Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left hip joint. He is displaying difficulty in walking and normal activities. i have ordered cosequin as it is not available here. I would like to start both cats with cosequin. the directions say to sprinkle on food. This is not going to work since I will never know who ate the coseqin. Can the contents of the capsules be sprinkled in their mouths. Deja is on a steroid ( long lasting) because he bites himself Hopefully Cosequin will be compatible with the steroid. I cannot give him a NSAID because of the steroid. Would have liked to switched him to Benadryl but it is not available here either at least not in a liquid form do have the gel Could this be applied to a cat?

Many thanks

Sorry to hear that Deja has issues with arthritis. This can be difficult to treat in cats.

Cosequin is an excellent product to use. The good news is that most cats take it really well. They designed the capsule so that you can open it up and sprinkle it on food, but you still can give it orally like a pill. It is definitely safe to sprinkle it directly in their mouth - I'm just not sure how easy that would be to do.

Another thing you could do is give each cat a small treat of canned food and put the cosequin in each cat's portion. This way they should eat up the canned food quickly and each get their dose. If it happens the odd time that a cat gets a double dose it won't be harmful at all.

I don't find that benadryl works well for many things in cats. I'm assuming that you are hoping to substitute the steroids with Benadryl? It likely won't be very helpful.

I think it's a great idea to give the cosequin a try and see how things go. Many cats do extremely well on it.

Thank you
Cats don't like canned food at all.
More important is OK to give Deja Cosequin with his steroid treatment

Thanks

Ah, sorry that I forgot that part! It is definitely safe to give cosequin along with steroids.

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16616 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13559 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (10853 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5554 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45249 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9573 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20260 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (12912 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12612 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9335 views)