Trouble breathing and died.

Breed: dsh
my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could have saved him.about 2/3 wks ago he had a short episode of panting and fast breathing but he recovered quickly and i thought he had got hot or something and he was relatively overweight.the day he died he was panting for short bursts occasionaly but otherwise was normal self eating etc.by the evening/night he got worse and lay on bed on his side gasping for breath if i tried to pick him up he cried i had phoned vet but when i got back upstairs he had gone under the bed and had died.i am devastated i should have got him to vet sooner he may still be alive please please help tell me why he might have died i miss him so very much my heart aches and aches he was my beautiful baby he was only 4 how could he just die like that? I will never forgive myself i sometimes think i cant carry on. i let him down when he needed me .he definately hadnt been knocked by a car

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Mr. Whippy. (What a cool name, by the way.)

When a cat has significant difficulties with breathing there is always a very serious medical problem going on. The vast majority of the time this problem is something untreatable.

The most common reason for a young cat to die after having breathing problems is a heart condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This is a condition that cats can be born with. They will often have no symptoms throughout their life and then just suddenly the heart will fail.

If this was HCM then there is nothing you could have done.

There are other possible reasons for fluid in the chest such as trauma (but you said that was unlikely), or cancer (which is not common in a 4 year old cat.)

It is very unlikely that things would have been different even if you got to the vet's sooner.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (15941 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (9435 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (25301 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (12747 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7689 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (18701 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (22392 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (19046 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (16244 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (7683 views)