Trouble breathing and died.

Breed: dsh
my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could have saved him.about 2/3 wks ago he had a short episode of panting and fast breathing but he recovered quickly and i thought he had got hot or something and he was relatively overweight.the day he died he was panting for short bursts occasionaly but otherwise was normal self eating etc.by the evening/night he got worse and lay on bed on his side gasping for breath if i tried to pick him up he cried i had phoned vet but when i got back upstairs he had gone under the bed and had died.i am devastated i should have got him to vet sooner he may still be alive please please help tell me why he might have died i miss him so very much my heart aches and aches he was my beautiful baby he was only 4 how could he just die like that? I will never forgive myself i sometimes think i cant carry on. i let him down when he needed me .he definately hadnt been knocked by a car

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Mr. Whippy. (What a cool name, by the way.)

When a cat has significant difficulties with breathing there is always a very serious medical problem going on. The vast majority of the time this problem is something untreatable.

The most common reason for a young cat to die after having breathing problems is a heart condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This is a condition that cats can be born with. They will often have no symptoms throughout their life and then just suddenly the heart will fail.

If this was HCM then there is nothing you could have done.

There are other possible reasons for fluid in the chest such as trauma (but you said that was unlikely), or cancer (which is not common in a 4 year old cat.)

It is very unlikely that things would have been different even if you got to the vet's sooner.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8267 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (8866 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (10745 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5226 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (257478 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (45113 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (12734 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6101 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14362 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18869 views)