Blood in urine.

Breed: German Shepherd
I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing blood and they checked for infection. None. She was in great pain, so had x-rays and ultrasound to test for stones, look for masses, etc. There was nothing. She does have arthritis and hip dysplasia. Also, vertebrae on her back are misformed. They ran full blood work which came back great.
We started her on Rimadyl about 2 weeks ago. She is 70 lbs. and take 75 milligrams 2x daily.

She is still not herself. She pants a lot, and the last few days seems lethargic and depressed. She will eat but isn't excited about it as usual.

She got into some bread 5 days ago and was constipated for a day and now has had diarrhea for the last two days. Not sure if that is normal.

Also she shakes her head a lot, and vigorously. She does it a lot more at night.

I am not sure what to do. The vet says there appears to be nothing wrong, but there is such a drastic change in her demeanor that I find that hard to believe. She is nothing like the dog I had two weeks ago.

Any suggestions? Are they something like diagnosticians who can help with all these random symptoms?

I'm so sorry to hear about Saga's difficulties. This is really an unusual case.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. Do you know if Saga's urine was sent to the lab for a culture? This is a test that is separate from a normal urinalysis. It usually takes several days for the results to come back. Sometimes the normal lab tests that we run on urine can miss an infection. If a culture has not been done then this is not a bad thing to do. A hidden infection can definitely be painful.

Is Saga spayed? If not, you could ask your vet about the possibility of pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. It doesn't directly cause blood in the urine but it can cause blood to flow from the vagina and this could make it look like it is in the urine. Pyometra can make a dog feel very unwell. While most dogs with pyometra will have a high white blood cell count, some dogs can have a normal WBC.

I have seen some dogs who have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This condition is much more common in cats than in dogs, but it can exist. This is a condition that causes blood in the urine and we don't really know why. It is painful as well. If this is the case, then Rimadyl really should help.

I can't tie in the head shaking with the other issues.

In most areas, there are either veterinary teaching hospitals or specialty hospitals nearby where you can see an internal medicine specialist. If you feel that things are not improving then you can ask your vet for a referral.

I hope things look up soon!

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (27180 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (11176 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (15109 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9158 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (134400 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (38464 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (6691 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (43876 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (47540 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (4903 views)