Blood in urine.

Breed: German Shepherd
I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing blood and they checked for infection. None. She was in great pain, so had x-rays and ultrasound to test for stones, look for masses, etc. There was nothing. She does have arthritis and hip dysplasia. Also, vertebrae on her back are misformed. They ran full blood work which came back great.
We started her on Rimadyl about 2 weeks ago. She is 70 lbs. and take 75 milligrams 2x daily.

She is still not herself. She pants a lot, and the last few days seems lethargic and depressed. She will eat but isn't excited about it as usual.

She got into some bread 5 days ago and was constipated for a day and now has had diarrhea for the last two days. Not sure if that is normal.

Also she shakes her head a lot, and vigorously. She does it a lot more at night.

I am not sure what to do. The vet says there appears to be nothing wrong, but there is such a drastic change in her demeanor that I find that hard to believe. She is nothing like the dog I had two weeks ago.

Any suggestions? Are they something like diagnosticians who can help with all these random symptoms?

I'm so sorry to hear about Saga's difficulties. This is really an unusual case.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. Do you know if Saga's urine was sent to the lab for a culture? This is a test that is separate from a normal urinalysis. It usually takes several days for the results to come back. Sometimes the normal lab tests that we run on urine can miss an infection. If a culture has not been done then this is not a bad thing to do. A hidden infection can definitely be painful.

Is Saga spayed? If not, you could ask your vet about the possibility of pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. It doesn't directly cause blood in the urine but it can cause blood to flow from the vagina and this could make it look like it is in the urine. Pyometra can make a dog feel very unwell. While most dogs with pyometra will have a high white blood cell count, some dogs can have a normal WBC.

I have seen some dogs who have a condition called interstitial cystitis. This condition is much more common in cats than in dogs, but it can exist. This is a condition that causes blood in the urine and we don't really know why. It is painful as well. If this is the case, then Rimadyl really should help.

I can't tie in the head shaking with the other issues.

In most areas, there are either veterinary teaching hospitals or specialty hospitals nearby where you can see an internal medicine specialist. If you feel that things are not improving then you can ask your vet for a referral.

I hope things look up soon!

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (27317 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (56592 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11497 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6759 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (17822 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (11791 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11647 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16744 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (30130 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (19059 views)