Are chicken feces toxic?

Breed: Cavalier king charle
I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do about it if he has already consumed chicken poop? Thanks

Hi and thanks for a great question!

The risk with dogs eating chicken feces is that they may end up ingesting bacteria such as salmonella or campylobacter. Both of these can cause serious diarrhea and can be contagious to people as well.

With that being said, not all chickens carry these bacteria so not every dog who eats chicken poop will get sick.

Still, it's a good idea to discourage the practice.

There are no parasites that can be spread from chickens to dogs via the stool so you have no worries in that respect.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything right now. If the dog has some mild diarrhea you can try a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice. However, if the dog has severe diarrhea, diarrhea that is lasting for more than 48 hours or really doesn't feel well then you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

I hope all is well!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (16958 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (14890 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (60275 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (23313 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (6686 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (14868 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (10797 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (22427 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (19820 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (8057 views)