yellow colored diarrhea

Breed: pitbull
We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the mother stopped caring for them. We fed them big dog dry dog food moistened and before we got them they were being fed tuna! We got rid of 4 of the puppies. The one we have is the runt(we think) and he seems to be not gaining as much weight as his sister that we just saw last night. He has had yellow diarrhea and has been seen vomiting. he has had diarrhea for about 3 days straight. But he has had it off and on for the whole time. my roommate is convinced he has parvo but he seems to be drinking water and thriving. he is not lethargic. he is playful and enjoys being outside. What do u suggest? we cannot afford to get him to the vet right now but we do have the do-it-yourself shots from Walgreens.

Oh, sorry to hear that your little one is not feeling well.

Yes, parvo can cause vomiting and diarrhea. However, usually the diarrhea will be watery and bloody and not yellow like you described.

Something that can cause yellow diarrhea is a parasite called coccidia. There are other possibilities as well.

It really is necessary to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine if coccidia is present (or any other parasite). If so, they can prescribe the appropriate medication.

It will not help to vaccinate the dog at this point. Even if this was parvo virus, vaccinating once the dog has the virus will not help.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. So, I usually recommend that if diarrhea is persisting more than 24 hours then a vet visit is absolutely necessary.

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (7666 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (30295 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (99044 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (35808 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10672 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (9881 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (9044 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (39282 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (111740 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (11736 views)