yellow colored diarrhea

Breed: pitbull
We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the mother stopped caring for them. We fed them big dog dry dog food moistened and before we got them they were being fed tuna! We got rid of 4 of the puppies. The one we have is the runt(we think) and he seems to be not gaining as much weight as his sister that we just saw last night. He has had yellow diarrhea and has been seen vomiting. he has had diarrhea for about 3 days straight. But he has had it off and on for the whole time. my roommate is convinced he has parvo but he seems to be drinking water and thriving. he is not lethargic. he is playful and enjoys being outside. What do u suggest? we cannot afford to get him to the vet right now but we do have the do-it-yourself shots from Walgreens.

Oh, sorry to hear that your little one is not feeling well.

Yes, parvo can cause vomiting and diarrhea. However, usually the diarrhea will be watery and bloody and not yellow like you described.

Something that can cause yellow diarrhea is a parasite called coccidia. There are other possibilities as well.

It really is necessary to have your vet examine a stool sample to determine if coccidia is present (or any other parasite). If so, they can prescribe the appropriate medication.

It will not help to vaccinate the dog at this point. Even if this was parvo virus, vaccinating once the dog has the virus will not help.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. So, I usually recommend that if diarrhea is persisting more than 24 hours then a vet visit is absolutely necessary.

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (10855 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (6429 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (11689 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (7022 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20063 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (10876 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (19218 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (12307 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (12905 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (8563 views)