Blood in poop.

Breed: chihuahua x pomerani
Hi There,

I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not sure if I should be worried.

I tried something new for both of my puppies (they are the same age) for their food. They love raw chicken, so I bought some mince and put it in their food for breakfast. When I got home after work there was diarreha all over the poo pads.

She is still playing and she ate her dinner last night and her breakfast this morning. Do you think she is alright??

I have noticed of late though that when she trys to poop, she will stand there for a little while later like there is still more to come out. Is this normal??

Thank you

Amanda

Hi there Amanda and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question!

For dogs (and cats as well), a little bit of inflammation in the colon can cause bleeding in the stool. Inflammation can be caused by any new addition to the diet (i.e. the new treat) or sometimes stress.

I know it can look frightening to see blood, but the vast majority of the time it is not a cause for concern.

When I get concerned is if I have a dog with blood in the stool and the dog is lethargic, not wanting to eat and generally sick. It sounds like your girl is still quite happy and wants to eat.

I generally recommend a period of fasting when an animal has diarrhea after eating a new food. For most dogs I recommend a fast of 24 hours, but often for puppies I will recommend only a 12 hour fast. She can still have water during this time.

The straining that you are seeing is probably because of the intestinal cramping that goes along with diarrhea. It really should be temporary. There are medicines that can help with this but they are prescription and you would need to see your vet to get them.

As long as your pup stays bright and alert I would not be too concerned. However, here are a few symptoms that would prompt you to go to the vet:

-if she does not want to eat
-if there is still diarrhea after 48 hours
-if there are other signs of bleeding (i.e. from a cut or excessive bleeding from teething)

I hope everything goes ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (23403 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (22579 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (31299 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (13843 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (32687 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (22152 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (6191 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (17034 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (11181 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (40432 views)