Blood in poop.

Breed: chihuahua x pomerani
Hi There,

I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not sure if I should be worried.

I tried something new for both of my puppies (they are the same age) for their food. They love raw chicken, so I bought some mince and put it in their food for breakfast. When I got home after work there was diarreha all over the poo pads.

She is still playing and she ate her dinner last night and her breakfast this morning. Do you think she is alright??

I have noticed of late though that when she trys to poop, she will stand there for a little while later like there is still more to come out. Is this normal??

Thank you

Amanda

Hi there Amanda and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question!

For dogs (and cats as well), a little bit of inflammation in the colon can cause bleeding in the stool. Inflammation can be caused by any new addition to the diet (i.e. the new treat) or sometimes stress.

I know it can look frightening to see blood, but the vast majority of the time it is not a cause for concern.

When I get concerned is if I have a dog with blood in the stool and the dog is lethargic, not wanting to eat and generally sick. It sounds like your girl is still quite happy and wants to eat.

I generally recommend a period of fasting when an animal has diarrhea after eating a new food. For most dogs I recommend a fast of 24 hours, but often for puppies I will recommend only a 12 hour fast. She can still have water during this time.

The straining that you are seeing is probably because of the intestinal cramping that goes along with diarrhea. It really should be temporary. There are medicines that can help with this but they are prescription and you would need to see your vet to get them.

As long as your pup stays bright and alert I would not be too concerned. However, here are a few symptoms that would prompt you to go to the vet:

-if she does not want to eat
-if there is still diarrhea after 48 hours
-if there are other signs of bleeding (i.e. from a cut or excessive bleeding from teething)

I hope everything goes ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11475 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (21629 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12591 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9153 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (72652 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (76817 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11301 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10365 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (24255 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7229 views)