Blood in poop.

Breed: chihuahua x pomerani
Hi There,

I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not sure if I should be worried.

I tried something new for both of my puppies (they are the same age) for their food. They love raw chicken, so I bought some mince and put it in their food for breakfast. When I got home after work there was diarreha all over the poo pads.

She is still playing and she ate her dinner last night and her breakfast this morning. Do you think she is alright??

I have noticed of late though that when she trys to poop, she will stand there for a little while later like there is still more to come out. Is this normal??

Thank you

Amanda

Hi there Amanda and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question!

For dogs (and cats as well), a little bit of inflammation in the colon can cause bleeding in the stool. Inflammation can be caused by any new addition to the diet (i.e. the new treat) or sometimes stress.

I know it can look frightening to see blood, but the vast majority of the time it is not a cause for concern.

When I get concerned is if I have a dog with blood in the stool and the dog is lethargic, not wanting to eat and generally sick. It sounds like your girl is still quite happy and wants to eat.

I generally recommend a period of fasting when an animal has diarrhea after eating a new food. For most dogs I recommend a fast of 24 hours, but often for puppies I will recommend only a 12 hour fast. She can still have water during this time.

The straining that you are seeing is probably because of the intestinal cramping that goes along with diarrhea. It really should be temporary. There are medicines that can help with this but they are prescription and you would need to see your vet to get them.

As long as your pup stays bright and alert I would not be too concerned. However, here are a few symptoms that would prompt you to go to the vet:

-if she does not want to eat
-if there is still diarrhea after 48 hours
-if there are other signs of bleeding (i.e. from a cut or excessive bleeding from teething)

I hope everything goes ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8469 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (37267 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23306 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5370 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (3615 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (5971 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (8594 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (12631 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (19611 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (75927 views)