Blood in poop.

Breed: chihuahua x pomerani
Hi There,

I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not sure if I should be worried.

I tried something new for both of my puppies (they are the same age) for their food. They love raw chicken, so I bought some mince and put it in their food for breakfast. When I got home after work there was diarreha all over the poo pads.

She is still playing and she ate her dinner last night and her breakfast this morning. Do you think she is alright??

I have noticed of late though that when she trys to poop, she will stand there for a little while later like there is still more to come out. Is this normal??

Thank you

Amanda

Hi there Amanda and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question!

For dogs (and cats as well), a little bit of inflammation in the colon can cause bleeding in the stool. Inflammation can be caused by any new addition to the diet (i.e. the new treat) or sometimes stress.

I know it can look frightening to see blood, but the vast majority of the time it is not a cause for concern.

When I get concerned is if I have a dog with blood in the stool and the dog is lethargic, not wanting to eat and generally sick. It sounds like your girl is still quite happy and wants to eat.

I generally recommend a period of fasting when an animal has diarrhea after eating a new food. For most dogs I recommend a fast of 24 hours, but often for puppies I will recommend only a 12 hour fast. She can still have water during this time.

The straining that you are seeing is probably because of the intestinal cramping that goes along with diarrhea. It really should be temporary. There are medicines that can help with this but they are prescription and you would need to see your vet to get them.

As long as your pup stays bright and alert I would not be too concerned. However, here are a few symptoms that would prompt you to go to the vet:

-if she does not want to eat
-if there is still diarrhea after 48 hours
-if there are other signs of bleeding (i.e. from a cut or excessive bleeding from teething)

I hope everything goes ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (11847 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (14060 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (19689 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (9958 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4298 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (35641 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (9749 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14708 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10051 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (66481 views)