Blood in poop.

Breed: chihuahua x pomerani
Hi There,

I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not sure if I should be worried.

I tried something new for both of my puppies (they are the same age) for their food. They love raw chicken, so I bought some mince and put it in their food for breakfast. When I got home after work there was diarreha all over the poo pads.

She is still playing and she ate her dinner last night and her breakfast this morning. Do you think she is alright??

I have noticed of late though that when she trys to poop, she will stand there for a little while later like there is still more to come out. Is this normal??

Thank you

Amanda

Hi there Amanda and thanks for using Ask A Vet Question!

For dogs (and cats as well), a little bit of inflammation in the colon can cause bleeding in the stool. Inflammation can be caused by any new addition to the diet (i.e. the new treat) or sometimes stress.

I know it can look frightening to see blood, but the vast majority of the time it is not a cause for concern.

When I get concerned is if I have a dog with blood in the stool and the dog is lethargic, not wanting to eat and generally sick. It sounds like your girl is still quite happy and wants to eat.

I generally recommend a period of fasting when an animal has diarrhea after eating a new food. For most dogs I recommend a fast of 24 hours, but often for puppies I will recommend only a 12 hour fast. She can still have water during this time.

The straining that you are seeing is probably because of the intestinal cramping that goes along with diarrhea. It really should be temporary. There are medicines that can help with this but they are prescription and you would need to see your vet to get them.

As long as your pup stays bright and alert I would not be too concerned. However, here are a few symptoms that would prompt you to go to the vet:

-if she does not want to eat
-if there is still diarrhea after 48 hours
-if there are other signs of bleeding (i.e. from a cut or excessive bleeding from teething)

I hope everything goes ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (13499 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (9583 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (23196 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (33345 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (23227 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (10741 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (11947 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (21187 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (56140 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (42008 views)