Pine bedding and gerbils.

Breed: gerbil
Hi,

We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I started to do research online and found information that pine bedding is toxic to gerbils. I replaced the bedding temporarily with ripped up paper towels and will now buy different bedding....Can our gerbil recover? What should we do?

Jill Friedbauer

Aw, sorry to hear that Pipsqueek is unwell.

Pine bedding certainly can be a problem for gerbils. It can cause breathing problems but it can also cause liver failure.

If the pine shavings were causing some respiratory (breathing) issues, then there is a chance that simply putting him or her on a better type of bedding will solve the issue. If that is the case, I should expect her to be recovering within 24-48 hours.

But, we don't know how much damage has been done by the pine. If there is liver damage then there still is a chance for recovery as the liver is good at repairing itself once damaged. But, if there has been too much damage done, then it may not be able to repair.

If Pipsqueek was a cat or a dog I would definitely be doing some chest xrays and some blood tests. Those are available for gerbils but it depends on whether you are willing to spend the money to have them done. You will also need to find a vet who is familiar with gerbils if you do this.

It really would be great to have a vet take a look at Pipsqueek. He or she could possibly benefit from some fluids and oxygen. Or, it's possible the vet may diagnose that something else is going on.

There's not a lot else that you can do at home other than change the bedding (which you have already done).

I really hope Pipsqueek is feeling better soon!

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (21897 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7416 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (9860 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11747 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11671 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (9395 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7935 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14944 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (60212 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (12373 views)