Pine bedding and gerbils.

Breed: gerbil
Hi,

We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I started to do research online and found information that pine bedding is toxic to gerbils. I replaced the bedding temporarily with ripped up paper towels and will now buy different bedding....Can our gerbil recover? What should we do?

Jill Friedbauer

Aw, sorry to hear that Pipsqueek is unwell.

Pine bedding certainly can be a problem for gerbils. It can cause breathing problems but it can also cause liver failure.

If the pine shavings were causing some respiratory (breathing) issues, then there is a chance that simply putting him or her on a better type of bedding will solve the issue. If that is the case, I should expect her to be recovering within 24-48 hours.

But, we don't know how much damage has been done by the pine. If there is liver damage then there still is a chance for recovery as the liver is good at repairing itself once damaged. But, if there has been too much damage done, then it may not be able to repair.

If Pipsqueek was a cat or a dog I would definitely be doing some chest xrays and some blood tests. Those are available for gerbils but it depends on whether you are willing to spend the money to have them done. You will also need to find a vet who is familiar with gerbils if you do this.

It really would be great to have a vet take a look at Pipsqueek. He or she could possibly benefit from some fluids and oxygen. Or, it's possible the vet may diagnose that something else is going on.

There's not a lot else that you can do at home other than change the bedding (which you have already done).

I really hope Pipsqueek is feeling better soon!

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8383 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (17591 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16529 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (13760 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (4899 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (21945 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10681 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8086 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (21840 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11189 views)