Pine bedding and gerbils.

Breed: gerbil
Hi,

We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I started to do research online and found information that pine bedding is toxic to gerbils. I replaced the bedding temporarily with ripped up paper towels and will now buy different bedding....Can our gerbil recover? What should we do?

Jill Friedbauer

Aw, sorry to hear that Pipsqueek is unwell.

Pine bedding certainly can be a problem for gerbils. It can cause breathing problems but it can also cause liver failure.

If the pine shavings were causing some respiratory (breathing) issues, then there is a chance that simply putting him or her on a better type of bedding will solve the issue. If that is the case, I should expect her to be recovering within 24-48 hours.

But, we don't know how much damage has been done by the pine. If there is liver damage then there still is a chance for recovery as the liver is good at repairing itself once damaged. But, if there has been too much damage done, then it may not be able to repair.

If Pipsqueek was a cat or a dog I would definitely be doing some chest xrays and some blood tests. Those are available for gerbils but it depends on whether you are willing to spend the money to have them done. You will also need to find a vet who is familiar with gerbils if you do this.

It really would be great to have a vet take a look at Pipsqueek. He or she could possibly benefit from some fluids and oxygen. Or, it's possible the vet may diagnose that something else is going on.

There's not a lot else that you can do at home other than change the bedding (which you have already done).

I really hope Pipsqueek is feeling better soon!

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (57986 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15401 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8552 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (38722 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (5739 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8235 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (98661 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10050 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (22126 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (39169 views)