Pine bedding and gerbils.

Breed: gerbil
Hi,

We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I started to do research online and found information that pine bedding is toxic to gerbils. I replaced the bedding temporarily with ripped up paper towels and will now buy different bedding....Can our gerbil recover? What should we do?

Jill Friedbauer

Aw, sorry to hear that Pipsqueek is unwell.

Pine bedding certainly can be a problem for gerbils. It can cause breathing problems but it can also cause liver failure.

If the pine shavings were causing some respiratory (breathing) issues, then there is a chance that simply putting him or her on a better type of bedding will solve the issue. If that is the case, I should expect her to be recovering within 24-48 hours.

But, we don't know how much damage has been done by the pine. If there is liver damage then there still is a chance for recovery as the liver is good at repairing itself once damaged. But, if there has been too much damage done, then it may not be able to repair.

If Pipsqueek was a cat or a dog I would definitely be doing some chest xrays and some blood tests. Those are available for gerbils but it depends on whether you are willing to spend the money to have them done. You will also need to find a vet who is familiar with gerbils if you do this.

It really would be great to have a vet take a look at Pipsqueek. He or she could possibly benefit from some fluids and oxygen. Or, it's possible the vet may diagnose that something else is going on.

There's not a lot else that you can do at home other than change the bedding (which you have already done).

I really hope Pipsqueek is feeling better soon!

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18993 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (30643 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14595 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (24936 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (10231 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (20347 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5024 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (12074 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15537 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6673 views)