Dog doesn't like u/d

Breed: Papillon
For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you want to feed them a high protein or a low protein diet? I had him eating the Science Diet UD formula that the vet recommended but Cody hated it and would barely eat. The bladder stones happened about 5 years ago and he hasn't had any issues since but I still want to be careful about what I feed him.
Thank you!

Thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on what type of stones were removed from your dog. The most common types of stones are struvite and calcium oxalate stones. However, if your dog is on u/d then I'm wondering if he had urate stones.

Do you remember the name of the stones? If so, this will help me to give you the most complete answer. If not, that's ok...let me know either way and I'll give you some more information.

I'll be heading offline again soon but will be back late this evening to answer more questions.

I'm not sure which stones they were but vet did put him on the u/d formula.

OK. Most likely if Cody was put on u/d he had something called urate stones. These are common in Dalmatians but can happen in other breeds. Sometimes if a little dog has urate stones it can be because they have a condition called a liver shunt but likely if this was the issue you would know this by now.

Ultimately the best advice I can give you is to talk to your vet about the fact that Cody doesn't like the u/d food. If the vet really feels that Cody needs u/d they may be willing to try a different food but add on a medication called allopurinol which helps to prevent the formation of urate stones.

U/d is definitely a low protein food. However, there is more to preventing urate stones than just low protein. You can't really just substitute a low protein diet for u/d. But you could possibly talk to your vet about a low protein diet (such as one made for kidney disease like Hill's k/d or VMD Reduced Protein) and then add allopurinol to it.

If I had a case like this where it had been 5 years since the dog had any problems with stones I may consider allowing you to change to just a regular dog food and then check your dog's urine every few months to see if there is any evidence of stones or crystals forming again.

It's definitely a good idea to ask your vet to give you an alternative to the u/d as they should have all of the medical history as to which types of stones he had.

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (16516 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6197 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (13840 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6146 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (5342 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35000 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (8798 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (33601 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (6933 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (11322 views)