Dog doesn't like u/d

Breed: Papillon
For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you want to feed them a high protein or a low protein diet? I had him eating the Science Diet UD formula that the vet recommended but Cody hated it and would barely eat. The bladder stones happened about 5 years ago and he hasn't had any issues since but I still want to be careful about what I feed him.
Thank you!

Thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on what type of stones were removed from your dog. The most common types of stones are struvite and calcium oxalate stones. However, if your dog is on u/d then I'm wondering if he had urate stones.

Do you remember the name of the stones? If so, this will help me to give you the most complete answer. If not, that's ok...let me know either way and I'll give you some more information.

I'll be heading offline again soon but will be back late this evening to answer more questions.

I'm not sure which stones they were but vet did put him on the u/d formula.

OK. Most likely if Cody was put on u/d he had something called urate stones. These are common in Dalmatians but can happen in other breeds. Sometimes if a little dog has urate stones it can be because they have a condition called a liver shunt but likely if this was the issue you would know this by now.

Ultimately the best advice I can give you is to talk to your vet about the fact that Cody doesn't like the u/d food. If the vet really feels that Cody needs u/d they may be willing to try a different food but add on a medication called allopurinol which helps to prevent the formation of urate stones.

U/d is definitely a low protein food. However, there is more to preventing urate stones than just low protein. You can't really just substitute a low protein diet for u/d. But you could possibly talk to your vet about a low protein diet (such as one made for kidney disease like Hill's k/d or VMD Reduced Protein) and then add allopurinol to it.

If I had a case like this where it had been 5 years since the dog had any problems with stones I may consider allowing you to change to just a regular dog food and then check your dog's urine every few months to see if there is any evidence of stones or crystals forming again.

It's definitely a good idea to ask your vet to give you an alternative to the u/d as they should have all of the medical history as to which types of stones he had.

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (27487 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (26753 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (8211 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (8479 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (10054 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (8618 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (14961 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (12105 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (13762 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (22972 views)