Dog doesn't like u/d

Breed: Papillon
For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you want to feed them a high protein or a low protein diet? I had him eating the Science Diet UD formula that the vet recommended but Cody hated it and would barely eat. The bladder stones happened about 5 years ago and he hasn't had any issues since but I still want to be careful about what I feed him.
Thank you!

Thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on what type of stones were removed from your dog. The most common types of stones are struvite and calcium oxalate stones. However, if your dog is on u/d then I'm wondering if he had urate stones.

Do you remember the name of the stones? If so, this will help me to give you the most complete answer. If not, that's ok...let me know either way and I'll give you some more information.

I'll be heading offline again soon but will be back late this evening to answer more questions.

I'm not sure which stones they were but vet did put him on the u/d formula.

OK. Most likely if Cody was put on u/d he had something called urate stones. These are common in Dalmatians but can happen in other breeds. Sometimes if a little dog has urate stones it can be because they have a condition called a liver shunt but likely if this was the issue you would know this by now.

Ultimately the best advice I can give you is to talk to your vet about the fact that Cody doesn't like the u/d food. If the vet really feels that Cody needs u/d they may be willing to try a different food but add on a medication called allopurinol which helps to prevent the formation of urate stones.

U/d is definitely a low protein food. However, there is more to preventing urate stones than just low protein. You can't really just substitute a low protein diet for u/d. But you could possibly talk to your vet about a low protein diet (such as one made for kidney disease like Hill's k/d or VMD Reduced Protein) and then add allopurinol to it.

If I had a case like this where it had been 5 years since the dog had any problems with stones I may consider allowing you to change to just a regular dog food and then check your dog's urine every few months to see if there is any evidence of stones or crystals forming again.

It's definitely a good idea to ask your vet to give you an alternative to the u/d as they should have all of the medical history as to which types of stones he had.

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7912 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (11358 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19446 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4395 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16170 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8284 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (39702 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4898 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (24308 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13228 views)