Cat not using box.

Breed: Tortoiseshell long h
My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on her eye where they stitched it closed to help it heal. She now has a cone collar thing on and is on eye drops, antibiotics and pain killers. She has still been eating but is very quiet but most worryingly hasn't been for a wee or poo since Friday. I have tried moving her dirt box, changing the grit and lifting her into it but nothing seems to work. She looks uncomfortable when she is walking.

Oh, poor Millie. She's been through so much.

I am quite concerned if she hasn't urinated in two days. A lack of bowel movements are not as worriesome, but she really should have urinated by now. With that being said, I have seen cats that will go a couple of days without eliminating simply because of pain, discomfort or anxiety.

The fact that she is eating makes me feel that she is likely ok.

Did you witness the fight? Was it a fight with another cat or was it a dog? If it was a dog, then I would be concerned that perhaps she was shaken. When a cat is shaken there can be damage to internal organs. She could potentially have damage to her bladder. However, if this was the case she would likely not be eating anything at all. A shaking injury is unlikely to have happened if it was a cat fight.

Most likely she will urinate soon. My first inclination is to do nothing for now except what you have been doing - making sure that she has easy access to the litter box.

Another thing you may want to do is to take her cone off for a short period. This can be risky because we don't want her to scratch her stitches out. However, sometimes when a cat has a cone it seems to have a paralyzing effect on them and they don't want to move or use the litter box. It's probably not a bad idea to take the collar off and watch her closely. I would keep her confined to a small room so she doesn't take off where you can't see her. Perhaps, with the collar off she will feel comfortable enough to use the box.

If she has not urinated by the morning then I would have her seen. Or, if you feel that she is getting sicker (i.e. not eating, vomiting) then I would take her in to emergency today.

I really hope she improves soon!

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (11161 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (6252 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (7195 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (13109 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (34837 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (21232 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (12994 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20614 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (8371 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (13658 views)