Cat not using box.

Breed: Tortoiseshell long h
My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on her eye where they stitched it closed to help it heal. She now has a cone collar thing on and is on eye drops, antibiotics and pain killers. She has still been eating but is very quiet but most worryingly hasn't been for a wee or poo since Friday. I have tried moving her dirt box, changing the grit and lifting her into it but nothing seems to work. She looks uncomfortable when she is walking.

Oh, poor Millie. She's been through so much.

I am quite concerned if she hasn't urinated in two days. A lack of bowel movements are not as worriesome, but she really should have urinated by now. With that being said, I have seen cats that will go a couple of days without eliminating simply because of pain, discomfort or anxiety.

The fact that she is eating makes me feel that she is likely ok.

Did you witness the fight? Was it a fight with another cat or was it a dog? If it was a dog, then I would be concerned that perhaps she was shaken. When a cat is shaken there can be damage to internal organs. She could potentially have damage to her bladder. However, if this was the case she would likely not be eating anything at all. A shaking injury is unlikely to have happened if it was a cat fight.

Most likely she will urinate soon. My first inclination is to do nothing for now except what you have been doing - making sure that she has easy access to the litter box.

Another thing you may want to do is to take her cone off for a short period. This can be risky because we don't want her to scratch her stitches out. However, sometimes when a cat has a cone it seems to have a paralyzing effect on them and they don't want to move or use the litter box. It's probably not a bad idea to take the collar off and watch her closely. I would keep her confined to a small room so she doesn't take off where you can't see her. Perhaps, with the collar off she will feel comfortable enough to use the box.

If she has not urinated by the morning then I would have her seen. Or, if you feel that she is getting sicker (i.e. not eating, vomiting) then I would take her in to emergency today.

I really hope she improves soon!

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16108 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7362 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (8980 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44652 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9634 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (16857 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (8722 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32113 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17243 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7510 views)