Cat not using box.

Breed: Tortoiseshell long h
My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on her eye where they stitched it closed to help it heal. She now has a cone collar thing on and is on eye drops, antibiotics and pain killers. She has still been eating but is very quiet but most worryingly hasn't been for a wee or poo since Friday. I have tried moving her dirt box, changing the grit and lifting her into it but nothing seems to work. She looks uncomfortable when she is walking.

Oh, poor Millie. She's been through so much.

I am quite concerned if she hasn't urinated in two days. A lack of bowel movements are not as worriesome, but she really should have urinated by now. With that being said, I have seen cats that will go a couple of days without eliminating simply because of pain, discomfort or anxiety.

The fact that she is eating makes me feel that she is likely ok.

Did you witness the fight? Was it a fight with another cat or was it a dog? If it was a dog, then I would be concerned that perhaps she was shaken. When a cat is shaken there can be damage to internal organs. She could potentially have damage to her bladder. However, if this was the case she would likely not be eating anything at all. A shaking injury is unlikely to have happened if it was a cat fight.

Most likely she will urinate soon. My first inclination is to do nothing for now except what you have been doing - making sure that she has easy access to the litter box.

Another thing you may want to do is to take her cone off for a short period. This can be risky because we don't want her to scratch her stitches out. However, sometimes when a cat has a cone it seems to have a paralyzing effect on them and they don't want to move or use the litter box. It's probably not a bad idea to take the collar off and watch her closely. I would keep her confined to a small room so she doesn't take off where you can't see her. Perhaps, with the collar off she will feel comfortable enough to use the box.

If she has not urinated by the morning then I would have her seen. Or, if you feel that she is getting sicker (i.e. not eating, vomiting) then I would take her in to emergency today.

I really hope she improves soon!

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (36816 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (23232 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21588 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (34032 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (20493 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6797 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13782 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13553 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (10863 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (42339 views)