Cat not using box.

Breed: Tortoiseshell long h
My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on her eye where they stitched it closed to help it heal. She now has a cone collar thing on and is on eye drops, antibiotics and pain killers. She has still been eating but is very quiet but most worryingly hasn't been for a wee or poo since Friday. I have tried moving her dirt box, changing the grit and lifting her into it but nothing seems to work. She looks uncomfortable when she is walking.

Oh, poor Millie. She's been through so much.

I am quite concerned if she hasn't urinated in two days. A lack of bowel movements are not as worriesome, but she really should have urinated by now. With that being said, I have seen cats that will go a couple of days without eliminating simply because of pain, discomfort or anxiety.

The fact that she is eating makes me feel that she is likely ok.

Did you witness the fight? Was it a fight with another cat or was it a dog? If it was a dog, then I would be concerned that perhaps she was shaken. When a cat is shaken there can be damage to internal organs. She could potentially have damage to her bladder. However, if this was the case she would likely not be eating anything at all. A shaking injury is unlikely to have happened if it was a cat fight.

Most likely she will urinate soon. My first inclination is to do nothing for now except what you have been doing - making sure that she has easy access to the litter box.

Another thing you may want to do is to take her cone off for a short period. This can be risky because we don't want her to scratch her stitches out. However, sometimes when a cat has a cone it seems to have a paralyzing effect on them and they don't want to move or use the litter box. It's probably not a bad idea to take the collar off and watch her closely. I would keep her confined to a small room so she doesn't take off where you can't see her. Perhaps, with the collar off she will feel comfortable enough to use the box.

If she has not urinated by the morning then I would have her seen. Or, if you feel that she is getting sicker (i.e. not eating, vomiting) then I would take her in to emergency today.

I really hope she improves soon!

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (19822 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (78286 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (11377 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (11585 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (12695 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (52677 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (21045 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (8837 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (16910 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (10708 views)