Cat not using box.

Breed: Tortoiseshell long h
My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on her eye where they stitched it closed to help it heal. She now has a cone collar thing on and is on eye drops, antibiotics and pain killers. She has still been eating but is very quiet but most worryingly hasn't been for a wee or poo since Friday. I have tried moving her dirt box, changing the grit and lifting her into it but nothing seems to work. She looks uncomfortable when she is walking.

Oh, poor Millie. She's been through so much.

I am quite concerned if she hasn't urinated in two days. A lack of bowel movements are not as worriesome, but she really should have urinated by now. With that being said, I have seen cats that will go a couple of days without eliminating simply because of pain, discomfort or anxiety.

The fact that she is eating makes me feel that she is likely ok.

Did you witness the fight? Was it a fight with another cat or was it a dog? If it was a dog, then I would be concerned that perhaps she was shaken. When a cat is shaken there can be damage to internal organs. She could potentially have damage to her bladder. However, if this was the case she would likely not be eating anything at all. A shaking injury is unlikely to have happened if it was a cat fight.

Most likely she will urinate soon. My first inclination is to do nothing for now except what you have been doing - making sure that she has easy access to the litter box.

Another thing you may want to do is to take her cone off for a short period. This can be risky because we don't want her to scratch her stitches out. However, sometimes when a cat has a cone it seems to have a paralyzing effect on them and they don't want to move or use the litter box. It's probably not a bad idea to take the collar off and watch her closely. I would keep her confined to a small room so she doesn't take off where you can't see her. Perhaps, with the collar off she will feel comfortable enough to use the box.

If she has not urinated by the morning then I would have her seen. Or, if you feel that she is getting sicker (i.e. not eating, vomiting) then I would take her in to emergency today.

I really hope she improves soon!

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4665 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5439 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9872 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69458 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7617 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (17527 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14129 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22190 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15163 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10689 views)