old dog is peeing in the house.

Breed: jack russell cross
spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any time I see an older dog who is starting to urinate in the house I think of medical problems.

You definitely need to have your vet see Spot and do a check on his urine.

Hopefully it is something simple like a urinary tract infection. If this is the case, then a course of antibiotics will do the trick.

It could also be a more serious condition such as diabetes, cushing's disease or kidney disease. These conditions are treatable but are more expensive and difficult to treat.

Some dogs as they get older can get a condition called cognitive dysfunction (similar to senility) where they forget their house training and can urinate inside the house. If your vet finds there is no medical problem then this may be the issue. While we have some medicines that help a little bit with cognitive dysfunction there is no cure for this condition.

I really hope things are ok!

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (9691 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7642 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (10210 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26277 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (15701 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (7685 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (9824 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17243 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13194 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (17822 views)