old dog is peeing in the house.

Breed: jack russell cross
spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any time I see an older dog who is starting to urinate in the house I think of medical problems.

You definitely need to have your vet see Spot and do a check on his urine.

Hopefully it is something simple like a urinary tract infection. If this is the case, then a course of antibiotics will do the trick.

It could also be a more serious condition such as diabetes, cushing's disease or kidney disease. These conditions are treatable but are more expensive and difficult to treat.

Some dogs as they get older can get a condition called cognitive dysfunction (similar to senility) where they forget their house training and can urinate inside the house. If your vet finds there is no medical problem then this may be the issue. While we have some medicines that help a little bit with cognitive dysfunction there is no cure for this condition.

I really hope things are ok!

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (7735 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (53468 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (14609 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (9647 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (7371 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (10094 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (9270 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (16483 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (17690 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (141204 views)