old dog is peeing in the house.

Breed: jack russell cross
spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any time I see an older dog who is starting to urinate in the house I think of medical problems.

You definitely need to have your vet see Spot and do a check on his urine.

Hopefully it is something simple like a urinary tract infection. If this is the case, then a course of antibiotics will do the trick.

It could also be a more serious condition such as diabetes, cushing's disease or kidney disease. These conditions are treatable but are more expensive and difficult to treat.

Some dogs as they get older can get a condition called cognitive dysfunction (similar to senility) where they forget their house training and can urinate inside the house. If your vet finds there is no medical problem then this may be the issue. While we have some medicines that help a little bit with cognitive dysfunction there is no cure for this condition.

I really hope things are ok!

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7498 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15815 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (75065 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10937 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7454 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13635 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (7003 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25774 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7110 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8050 views)