old dog is peeing in the house.

Breed: jack russell cross
spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any time I see an older dog who is starting to urinate in the house I think of medical problems.

You definitely need to have your vet see Spot and do a check on his urine.

Hopefully it is something simple like a urinary tract infection. If this is the case, then a course of antibiotics will do the trick.

It could also be a more serious condition such as diabetes, cushing's disease or kidney disease. These conditions are treatable but are more expensive and difficult to treat.

Some dogs as they get older can get a condition called cognitive dysfunction (similar to senility) where they forget their house training and can urinate inside the house. If your vet finds there is no medical problem then this may be the issue. While we have some medicines that help a little bit with cognitive dysfunction there is no cure for this condition.

I really hope things are ok!

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (65859 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (14307 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (9589 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (4924 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (7970 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15446 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9390 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (17359 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (104464 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9086 views)