old dog is peeing in the house.

Breed: jack russell cross
spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any time I see an older dog who is starting to urinate in the house I think of medical problems.

You definitely need to have your vet see Spot and do a check on his urine.

Hopefully it is something simple like a urinary tract infection. If this is the case, then a course of antibiotics will do the trick.

It could also be a more serious condition such as diabetes, cushing's disease or kidney disease. These conditions are treatable but are more expensive and difficult to treat.

Some dogs as they get older can get a condition called cognitive dysfunction (similar to senility) where they forget their house training and can urinate inside the house. If your vet finds there is no medical problem then this may be the issue. While we have some medicines that help a little bit with cognitive dysfunction there is no cure for this condition.

I really hope things are ok!

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (222717 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10498 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6097 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5745 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7690 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19194 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5730 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9544 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10561 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5615 views)