Getting cat to lose weight.

Breed: Tabby
Dear Dr Marie,
We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight. He is around 7, and a house cat with access to a yard. I would class him as inactive, as he spends most of the day sleeping.
Previously he ate dry food, and we gave him 1 cup a day (in 2 half cup portions), which is less than the 1.5 cups recommend on the packet for a cat of his size to lose weight.
This didn't work so we are moving to wet food. We have chose the food carefully to be low carb, high moisture and decent meat. It says to feed him 6 3Oz cans a day, which seems excessive to me.
So my question is how much should we feed him for weight loss? We are thinking of feeding him dry in the morning and wet in the evening to get him used to the change. Is this a good idea? Should we just feed him twice a day and leave the food out till it's gone, or take away food that isn't consumed within a short time period?
Many thanks for any help you can give,
Nick

It's often a challenge to get cats to lose weight! There are a number of "weight loss" foods out there for cats. Some do well on a high fiber food (similar to us eating a lot of salads), but most cats do better at losing weight on a low carb food.

Often, some of the prescription foods are much better at helping a cat successfully lose weight. I like Royal Canin Satiety or Calorie Control best.

It's impossible for me to say how much food he should eat in order to lose weight because every food is different. I would feed the recommended amount for a couple of weeks and then weigh him. (The best way to do this is to weigh yourself, holding the cat, and then subtract your weight). If he hasn't lost any weight, then reduce the amount slightly. Keep doing this every two weeks.

I think the mixture of wet and dry like you are doing is a good idea. However, you should have a set amount that he gets throughout the day. So, if you are going to leave it out all day, if he tends to finish his ration early in the day this isn't going to work because he'll be hungry by nighttime. You may need to reserve some food for night time.

Some other things that may help include:

• Using a treat ball to feed him his dry food. This way he has to do some exercise in order to get his food.

• Putting his food in small amounts in several places around the house so that he has to walk around to get it.

• Playing games with him like using a laser pointer or a cat toy that he likes.

Remember, with weight loss in cats it is a SLOW process.

Hope he does well!

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (16323 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (9533 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7578 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (11877 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (16723 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8939 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (30574 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10979 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (13646 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (19371 views)