Puppy died suddenly.

Breed: large mixed breed
Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the same day he looked weak and tired. he would not eat and seemed to be very uninterested in any petting or playing. he never seemed to be disoriented, just tired. he just layed around in the shade. i noticed thick saliva hanging from his mouth but i never saw him throw up or have diarrhea and we were all trying to pay attention to him, i feel sure we would have noticed. no coughing. the only thing i noticed was bleeding around the teeth at the gums. he had all the shots we were to give him except rabies. i woke up saturday morning and he was dead. there's nothing i can do for him but we do have other pets and i'm scared for them. do you have any idea as to what may have happened? i want to do whatever possible to protect our other pets. please give me any advice on this problem that you think could be the cause of Dakotas life and the preservation of our other pets future. thank you!

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that Dakota died so suddenly like this.

Questions like this are always really hard to answer because anything I say is purely speculation.

It is interesting that you noticed bleeding in his mouth. Is there any chance he could have gotten into rat or mouse poison? Many of these poisons cause an animal to bleed. He may have bled internally. If there is no rat or mouse poison around another possibility is if he had eaten a rat or mouse that had previously ingested poison.

If possible, it would be a good idea to have a vet do a post mortem exam on his body to see if they can determine if there was bleeding or if there was something else going on.

This doesn't sound like a virus...most would cause more symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea or respiratory signs.

I wish I could give you more answers. It doesn't sound like something contagious. However, I would do a good search around for rat or mouse poisons.

So sorry for your loss.

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (14342 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4453 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6287 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5007 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7559 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (7455 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11734 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (10469 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13933 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (14111 views)