Puppy died suddenly.

Breed: large mixed breed
Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the same day he looked weak and tired. he would not eat and seemed to be very uninterested in any petting or playing. he never seemed to be disoriented, just tired. he just layed around in the shade. i noticed thick saliva hanging from his mouth but i never saw him throw up or have diarrhea and we were all trying to pay attention to him, i feel sure we would have noticed. no coughing. the only thing i noticed was bleeding around the teeth at the gums. he had all the shots we were to give him except rabies. i woke up saturday morning and he was dead. there's nothing i can do for him but we do have other pets and i'm scared for them. do you have any idea as to what may have happened? i want to do whatever possible to protect our other pets. please give me any advice on this problem that you think could be the cause of Dakotas life and the preservation of our other pets future. thank you!

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that Dakota died so suddenly like this.

Questions like this are always really hard to answer because anything I say is purely speculation.

It is interesting that you noticed bleeding in his mouth. Is there any chance he could have gotten into rat or mouse poison? Many of these poisons cause an animal to bleed. He may have bled internally. If there is no rat or mouse poison around another possibility is if he had eaten a rat or mouse that had previously ingested poison.

If possible, it would be a good idea to have a vet do a post mortem exam on his body to see if they can determine if there was bleeding or if there was something else going on.

This doesn't sound like a virus...most would cause more symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea or respiratory signs.

I wish I could give you more answers. It doesn't sound like something contagious. However, I would do a good search around for rat or mouse poisons.

So sorry for your loss.

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11284 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (62525 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15355 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18259 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8574 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (4776 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11526 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23618 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (8258 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (70020 views)