Puppy died suddenly.

Breed: large mixed breed
Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the same day he looked weak and tired. he would not eat and seemed to be very uninterested in any petting or playing. he never seemed to be disoriented, just tired. he just layed around in the shade. i noticed thick saliva hanging from his mouth but i never saw him throw up or have diarrhea and we were all trying to pay attention to him, i feel sure we would have noticed. no coughing. the only thing i noticed was bleeding around the teeth at the gums. he had all the shots we were to give him except rabies. i woke up saturday morning and he was dead. there's nothing i can do for him but we do have other pets and i'm scared for them. do you have any idea as to what may have happened? i want to do whatever possible to protect our other pets. please give me any advice on this problem that you think could be the cause of Dakotas life and the preservation of our other pets future. thank you!

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that Dakota died so suddenly like this.

Questions like this are always really hard to answer because anything I say is purely speculation.

It is interesting that you noticed bleeding in his mouth. Is there any chance he could have gotten into rat or mouse poison? Many of these poisons cause an animal to bleed. He may have bled internally. If there is no rat or mouse poison around another possibility is if he had eaten a rat or mouse that had previously ingested poison.

If possible, it would be a good idea to have a vet do a post mortem exam on his body to see if they can determine if there was bleeding or if there was something else going on.

This doesn't sound like a virus...most would cause more symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea or respiratory signs.

I wish I could give you more answers. It doesn't sound like something contagious. However, I would do a good search around for rat or mouse poisons.

So sorry for your loss.

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (6891 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (9201 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (8941 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (11293 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (21390 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (22253 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (6834 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (9936 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (11436 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (42433 views)