Very thirsty dog.

Breed: Labrador
My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get enough. She also has incontinence, so for 1 month I gave her Proin, but that didn't slow down the dribbling and drinking. Several years ago she had both ACLs repaired, so I know she is in some pain, so they also had her on 75mg of Derramax one time a day thinking she just wasn't getting up because of her pain plus she is getting 1500 mg of Condrotin/Glucosome treats daily. Well, I can't afford over $55 every two weeks for her pain medicine, so do you have any suggestions or ideas on what I can do?
This is very nice of all of you giving your time to visit with people

This is a question that I don't think I can address well in the free section as there are a lot of variables.

But, I wanted to point out that if your dog is this thirsty then she has an issue that is more than just incontinence. She may have either diabetes or kidney disease or possible cushing's disease. Unfortunately all of these are serious conditions.

It sounds like she will need to have some blood work done.

If you'd like to discuss her case more, you can ask a question by choosing one of the paid options here.

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (16881 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (25530 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (16858 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (4473 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (10012 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (5815 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (23033 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (7430 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (10512 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (4815 views)