Pink spot on dog.

Breed: STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIO
I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest about the size of a pencil eraser head. A few weeks ago I noticed he now has more spots on him. There is a flat, sort of crusty pink spot with no hair in the fold of his skin on his right shoulder. Another spot that looks identical on his neck in the folds of his skin. Both spots are about the size of a dime maybe a little bigger. The spots seem like they are getting bigger. Could this be skin cancer? I called his vet to get an appointment but he cant get in until October 22nd.

Hi and thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of this lump and send it to me? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. I can't guarantee I can tell you what it is, but seeing a photo could make things a bit easier.

If you can't send a photo, then let me know and I'll give you my thoughts based on what you have written.

I sent a photo of one of the spots. The other spots look similar.

Hmmm...for some reason the photo has not come through yet. Are you sure you are sending it to photos@askavetquestion.com?

yes and i just sent it again

Thanks...Hang on. I just typed a big reply and for some reason my server ate it up. ....

OK, let's try this again.

Thanks for sending the photo:

pink spot on dog's skin

My first instinct is to say that this is a bacterial skin infection. Of course, I can't say for certain without seeing this in person. But, a bacterial infection would be my first guess. If this is the case, then most infections like this need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. But, if you can't see them right away, there's not likely to be any major harm done.

A fungal infection like ringworm could look like this, but I think that this is much less likely than a bacterial infection.

A parasite called demodex can do this, but demodex is really more common in much younger dogs.

I think that the chances of this being cancer are extremely small. With that said, if the spots are not responding to treatment then your vet may consider a biopsy. But, I would be quite surprised if this happens.

Thanks so much. Is this contagious to humans? I have an 8 month old baby and I'm afraid for him to contract something from Charlie.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is. If it's bacterial or demodex, then it's not likely to be contagious to humans. If it's ringworm, it certainly could be. I really do think that ringworm is unlikely though.

OK thanks so much!

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10717 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23567 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (12881 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (53614 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (9969 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (10225 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (38490 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (51289 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (88124 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (44078 views)