Pink spot on dog.

Breed: STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIO
I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest about the size of a pencil eraser head. A few weeks ago I noticed he now has more spots on him. There is a flat, sort of crusty pink spot with no hair in the fold of his skin on his right shoulder. Another spot that looks identical on his neck in the folds of his skin. Both spots are about the size of a dime maybe a little bigger. The spots seem like they are getting bigger. Could this be skin cancer? I called his vet to get an appointment but he cant get in until October 22nd.

Hi and thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of this lump and send it to me? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. I can't guarantee I can tell you what it is, but seeing a photo could make things a bit easier.

If you can't send a photo, then let me know and I'll give you my thoughts based on what you have written.

I sent a photo of one of the spots. The other spots look similar.

Hmmm...for some reason the photo has not come through yet. Are you sure you are sending it to photos@askavetquestion.com?

yes and i just sent it again

Thanks...Hang on. I just typed a big reply and for some reason my server ate it up. ....

OK, let's try this again.

Thanks for sending the photo:

pink spot on dog's skin

My first instinct is to say that this is a bacterial skin infection. Of course, I can't say for certain without seeing this in person. But, a bacterial infection would be my first guess. If this is the case, then most infections like this need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. But, if you can't see them right away, there's not likely to be any major harm done.

A fungal infection like ringworm could look like this, but I think that this is much less likely than a bacterial infection.

A parasite called demodex can do this, but demodex is really more common in much younger dogs.

I think that the chances of this being cancer are extremely small. With that said, if the spots are not responding to treatment then your vet may consider a biopsy. But, I would be quite surprised if this happens.

Thanks so much. Is this contagious to humans? I have an 8 month old baby and I'm afraid for him to contract something from Charlie.

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what it is. If it's bacterial or demodex, then it's not likely to be contagious to humans. If it's ringworm, it certainly could be. I really do think that ringworm is unlikely though.

OK thanks so much!

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14169 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19045 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5941 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (42959 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6641 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15426 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7059 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (13379 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6319 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (10892 views)