Puppy not gaining weight.

Breed: shih tuz
my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating look smaller than he should what can i do to helh him what can i give him to eat

If your puppy is on a good quality puppy food and is not gaining weight then there is likely a medical problem with him.

It may be something as simple as parasites. Giving him some Dewormer now and two weeks from now may help.

But it is possible that there is something more serious going on. Some little dogs can be born with something called a liver shunt (otherwise known as a hepatic shunt or portosystemic shunt). This causes a problem with blood not flowing through the liver properly. Animals with a liver shunts will not gain weight well.

While a liver shunt is treatable it usually needs an expensive surgery to treat. Some dogs can be managed with special food and medications.

It's also possible that he is not gaining weight because of a health problem such as a heart problem, a virus or other things.

Sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (11623 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6209 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (18549 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (6354 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8033 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (10662 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (4617 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (13014 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (25343 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (4810 views)