Puppy not gaining weight.

Breed: shih tuz
my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating look smaller than he should what can i do to helh him what can i give him to eat

If your puppy is on a good quality puppy food and is not gaining weight then there is likely a medical problem with him.

It may be something as simple as parasites. Giving him some Dewormer now and two weeks from now may help.

But it is possible that there is something more serious going on. Some little dogs can be born with something called a liver shunt (otherwise known as a hepatic shunt or portosystemic shunt). This causes a problem with blood not flowing through the liver properly. Animals with a liver shunts will not gain weight well.

While a liver shunt is treatable it usually needs an expensive surgery to treat. Some dogs can be managed with special food and medications.

It's also possible that he is not gaining weight because of a health problem such as a heart problem, a virus or other things.

Sounds like a vet visit is a good idea!

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (13203 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (11572 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11651 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (6685 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (13970 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10977 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (27019 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (6309 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (30054 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (6275 views)