Dog playing with a bat - rabies?

Breed: mixed
My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the yard playing...after a few minutes I found him playing with a bat that was dead. Can he get rabies? Is there anything we should do? I have to run out for an hour. Thanks...I may have to log back in.

Thanks for your question about Leo. I would highly recommend contacting your local health unit. If you are not sure of the number you can call either your veterinarian or the hospital.

Do you still have the body of the bat? In most areas, the health unit will come out and pick up the bat and test it for rabies.

We used to think that 10% of bats carry rabies. However, just yesterday I wrote an article about a new study that showed that this number is actually less than 1 per cent.

The way that a bat can transmit rabies is through the saliva. So, if the bat had bitten Leo then there is likely a one in one hundred chance that rabies was transmitted.

Rabies is definitely something to take seriously. Leo would not have had a rabies vaccine yet as it is not effective in dogs unless given after 3 months of age, so we wait until that time to give it.

While I think it is extremely unlikely that Leo has gotten rabies, here are some things to look for:
  • Unusual Aggressive behavior

• Ataxia (i.e. walking like he is drunk)

• Seizures

• Lack of appetite

• Difficulty opening jaw

• Excess drooling

The symptoms of rabies usually come on within 2-10 days of exposure. So, keep a close eye on him at this time.

If you think there are any of these symptoms then don't take any chances. Please take him to a vet right away. If he is aggressive towards you then you may need to call your vet for help in how to handle him. If a dog with rabies bites a person it can be fatal.

Unfortunately there is no test for rabies that can be done on Leo. The only test is to examine brain tissue which is something that can only be done on deceased animals.

Again, it is very unlikely that he has rabies. Hopefully you can have the bat tested. And if you have concerns then contact your vet right away.

I hope all is well!

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9575 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24257 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15434 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (29988 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (16425 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11145 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (12087 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (10072 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8031 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15613 views)