Blood in urine

Breed: domestic shorthaired
My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is urinating on my dogs bed. I can't afford a trip to the vets till i get paid please help?

A red tinge to a cat's urine is always a concern. It will almost always mean that there is blood in the urine.

There are many possible causes for blood in the urine. Some cats can get a condition called interstitial cystitis which is inflammation in the bladder. This condition can usually be treated easily with medication.

The more serious possibility is if he has crystals in his urine. Crystals can very easily lead to a urethral blockage. It is much easier to treat crystals before there is a blockage. If there is a blockage then this is a life threatening emergency.

An infection is also possible, although urinary tract infections are not that common in cats.

Please don't wait on this. Any cat with blood in the urine needs to be seen right away.

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (46726 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (9562 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (6120 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (17739 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18952 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (14699 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (9586 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (11393 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (12282 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (15114 views)