Blood in urine

Breed: domestic shorthaired
My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is urinating on my dogs bed. I can't afford a trip to the vets till i get paid please help?

A red tinge to a cat's urine is always a concern. It will almost always mean that there is blood in the urine.

There are many possible causes for blood in the urine. Some cats can get a condition called interstitial cystitis which is inflammation in the bladder. This condition can usually be treated easily with medication.

The more serious possibility is if he has crystals in his urine. Crystals can very easily lead to a urethral blockage. It is much easier to treat crystals before there is a blockage. If there is a blockage then this is a life threatening emergency.

An infection is also possible, although urinary tract infections are not that common in cats.

Please don't wait on this. Any cat with blood in the urine needs to be seen right away.

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (16114 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16344 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9942 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (15042 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (27877 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (7608 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11906 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (8754 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9087 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8268 views)