Reduced appetite in kitten.

Breed: Siberian
Hello Dr. Marie,

My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She previously would eat up to 9 oz. a day (wet, premium, grain-free brands). The past few days, she'll eat around 3 or 4 oz., maybe slightly more. She is the same kitten otherwise, very lively and energetic. Her litterbox is the same as well. Should I be worried, or is this normal for a growing kitten?

It's not uncommon for a kitten to eat less as they get older. However, a drastic change like this does have me a little concerned.

It is possible that this is a temporary thing. If a cat has any pain they can go off of their food (or eat less.) At 6 months she will be just finishing teething so it is possible that she has some dental pain. If so, this should only last a couple of days.

If this continues for more than a few days or if her appetite is getting even smaller then it would be a good idea to have your vet examine her.

My gut instinct is that she is ok though. Usually if a cat is sick they will be much quieter than usual.

Hope everything is ok!

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (6104 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9437 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24259 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7343 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10292 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14086 views)

Vomiting after eating. my pet vomits after eating since 20 days with brownish in color,faeces is loose with... (8520 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12900 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7786 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7755 views)