Reduced appetite in kitten.

Breed: Siberian
Hello Dr. Marie,

My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She previously would eat up to 9 oz. a day (wet, premium, grain-free brands). The past few days, she'll eat around 3 or 4 oz., maybe slightly more. She is the same kitten otherwise, very lively and energetic. Her litterbox is the same as well. Should I be worried, or is this normal for a growing kitten?

It's not uncommon for a kitten to eat less as they get older. However, a drastic change like this does have me a little concerned.

It is possible that this is a temporary thing. If a cat has any pain they can go off of their food (or eat less.) At 6 months she will be just finishing teething so it is possible that she has some dental pain. If so, this should only last a couple of days.

If this continues for more than a few days or if her appetite is getting even smaller then it would be a good idea to have your vet examine her.

My gut instinct is that she is ok though. Usually if a cat is sick they will be much quieter than usual.

Hope everything is ok!

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4593 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (16769 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11397 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (81254 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (38812 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4699 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10020 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9086 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4358 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (15494 views)