Reduced appetite in kitten.

Breed: Siberian
Hello Dr. Marie,

My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She previously would eat up to 9 oz. a day (wet, premium, grain-free brands). The past few days, she'll eat around 3 or 4 oz., maybe slightly more. She is the same kitten otherwise, very lively and energetic. Her litterbox is the same as well. Should I be worried, or is this normal for a growing kitten?

It's not uncommon for a kitten to eat less as they get older. However, a drastic change like this does have me a little concerned.

It is possible that this is a temporary thing. If a cat has any pain they can go off of their food (or eat less.) At 6 months she will be just finishing teething so it is possible that she has some dental pain. If so, this should only last a couple of days.

If this continues for more than a few days or if her appetite is getting even smaller then it would be a good idea to have your vet examine her.

My gut instinct is that she is ok though. Usually if a cat is sick they will be much quieter than usual.

Hope everything is ok!

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9823 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (12638 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (246178 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (34193 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (51833 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (20388 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (12687 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (94413 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (36732 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (14676 views)