Reduced appetite in kitten.

Breed: Siberian
Hello Dr. Marie,

My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She previously would eat up to 9 oz. a day (wet, premium, grain-free brands). The past few days, she'll eat around 3 or 4 oz., maybe slightly more. She is the same kitten otherwise, very lively and energetic. Her litterbox is the same as well. Should I be worried, or is this normal for a growing kitten?

It's not uncommon for a kitten to eat less as they get older. However, a drastic change like this does have me a little concerned.

It is possible that this is a temporary thing. If a cat has any pain they can go off of their food (or eat less.) At 6 months she will be just finishing teething so it is possible that she has some dental pain. If so, this should only last a couple of days.

If this continues for more than a few days or if her appetite is getting even smaller then it would be a good idea to have your vet examine her.

My gut instinct is that she is ok though. Usually if a cat is sick they will be much quieter than usual.

Hope everything is ok!

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (9009 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (12329 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (7363 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (106581 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (18024 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (18512 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (11338 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (17914 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (20522 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (10800 views)