IVDD in Basset Hound?

Breed: Basset hound
Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much water. Yesterday he did poop normal but today he hasn't and he is having trouble walking up steps. He does want to eat but I'm not feeding him much. I was thinking maybe bloat but he shows no other signs. What should I do?

Sorry to hear that Frank is not well. I have a few questions for you to answer before I type out a full answer for you:

• Is he vomiting (or even just retching/ trying to vomit)?

• Have a look at his gums...are they pink, really pale pink, or white?

• You mentioned that he does want to eat...do you think that if he had the opportunity to eat a full meal that he would? Or is his appetite reduced?

• Do his back legs seem weak or wobbly at all to you?

Thanks...I'll be waiting for your answers and then we'll see if we can figure out what could be going on.

No he has not vomit nor has he tried

His gums are pink

Yes he would eat a full meal if I gave it to him

His back legs seem fine but he can't get on the sofa by his self and he sleeps a lot. His breathing seems fine though.

OK, thanks for answering those questions.

Keep in mind here that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. But, I can definitely give you my thoughts on what is going on with Frank.

His symptoms don't sound like bloat to me. Usually dogs with bloat will be trying to vomit but not able to get any food up. They will usually be pale and really not want to eat. While bloat is always something we need to consider, it seems less likely to be the culprit to me.

My best guess is that this is a problem with Frank's back. Basset Hounds can be prone to back problems. I'm concerned that he may have some inflammation between his vertebrae, known as IVDD. You can read more about this here: IVDD in dogs.

Most dogs with IVDD will be reluctant to jump or go up the stairs. This is because it causes pain in their back. I will often have people telling me that they feel their dog's abdomen is sore, when in reality it is a sore back. When a dog has a sore back, then touching the abdomen can cause back pain.

Thankfully most cases of IVDD are not serious and can be treated with medications. But, some cases can be quite serious. I am assuming that Frank has some inflammation around his spinal cord but it's also possible that he has a bulging disk. If there is disk material bulging out of the spinal cord then some dogs need surgery.

Because IVDD is painful and has the potential to be serious (i.e. lead to paralysis) I would highly advise that Frank has a vet visit today. Hopefully you have an emergency vet you can see today! The vet will be able to asses him well and determine if there is back pain. They would do some tests with his back legs to determine if this is just a pain issue or if there is worry about paralysis or neurological issues. They may possibly want to take some xrays.

If the vet feels that it is not too serious they will prescribe medication that will really help relieve his discomfort. He will need to rest (i.e. no jumping or stairs or running around) for some time as well. This is very very important if he has IVDD.

If the vet feels that bloat is at all a possibility then they will take an xray to determine if the stomach is bloated. But I would be surprised if this was the issue.

There are of course other possibilities. (It's hard to know exactly what is going on without seeing your boy.) But, I think a back issue is most likely.

I really hope he is ok!

What would make his stomach very hard then?

I've seen this quite often with back pain. I believe it is caused by muscle spasms. When the back is sore, everything around it is sore and tense.

There are other things that can cause a hard stomach. You mentioned bloat, but again the symptoms don't exactly match. Another possibility is pancreatitis. This causes a hard, painful abdomen, especially in the front part (i.e. just behind the ribs). But dogs with pancreatitis don't want to eat and are vomiting.

An abdominal tumor could cause the abdomen to be hard but this really shouldn't cause him to not want to do stairs or jump.

Thank you very much for your help. I will monitor him today and hope we don't have to make the trip to the emergency vet and go to his normal vet tomorrow.

Sounds like a good plan. Keep him very quiet and don't encourage any jumping, running or stairs.

And if things get worse, or if you notice his back legs getting wobbly then I would take him in today.

Thanks again for your help it turns out he has 2 inflamed disc's between his L1 and L5 he has been put on painkillers and muscle relaxer

Thanks so much for the update. Hope he's feeling better soon!

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35910 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12836 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13023 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (21759 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10462 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (6673 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (39468 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (9492 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (18348 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (26862 views)