medicine for collapsing trachea

Breed: maltese/chihuhu
We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets car sick. Our current Vet charges $52 for a prescription of 4 tabs to help when she will not stop "honking". Online, you can get prescriptions cheaper but must have a prescription from a vet. Can you prescribe for emergency help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I think what you are mentioning with Skiggy is a collapsing trachea, rather than collapsable larynx. It usually isn't connected to car sickness though so this is interesting.

If Skiggy's main problem is coughing then what your vet is prescribing may be hydrocodone. This medication works well to inhibit coughing in dogs.

If the main problem is that she gets carsick it may be that they are prescribing Cerenia. Cerenia works great, but can be a little pricey. You may want to ask your vet if instead of Cerenia they could prescribe a medication called Acepromazine. This is less expensive and usually works well.

No vet, myself included, can prescribe medication without having done a physical exam and establishing a record in their practice. So, unfortunately I cannot prescribe medication for you.

You can ask your vet if they would write you a prescription that you could fill online. Many vets will do this for a small fee and this could save you some money.

I hope this helps!

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (11559 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7154 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (19647 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (8521 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (11245 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (12195 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (9643 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (9877 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (9016 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (24174 views)