medicine for collapsing trachea

Breed: maltese/chihuhu
We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets car sick. Our current Vet charges $52 for a prescription of 4 tabs to help when she will not stop "honking". Online, you can get prescriptions cheaper but must have a prescription from a vet. Can you prescribe for emergency help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I think what you are mentioning with Skiggy is a collapsing trachea, rather than collapsable larynx. It usually isn't connected to car sickness though so this is interesting.

If Skiggy's main problem is coughing then what your vet is prescribing may be hydrocodone. This medication works well to inhibit coughing in dogs.

If the main problem is that she gets carsick it may be that they are prescribing Cerenia. Cerenia works great, but can be a little pricey. You may want to ask your vet if instead of Cerenia they could prescribe a medication called Acepromazine. This is less expensive and usually works well.

No vet, myself included, can prescribe medication without having done a physical exam and establishing a record in their practice. So, unfortunately I cannot prescribe medication for you.

You can ask your vet if they would write you a prescription that you could fill online. Many vets will do this for a small fee and this could save you some money.

I hope this helps!

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (27958 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (9486 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9671 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (50875 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10717 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15833 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9858 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13888 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (32114 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (11900 views)