medicine for collapsing trachea

Breed: maltese/chihuhu
We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets car sick. Our current Vet charges $52 for a prescription of 4 tabs to help when she will not stop "honking". Online, you can get prescriptions cheaper but must have a prescription from a vet. Can you prescribe for emergency help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I think what you are mentioning with Skiggy is a collapsing trachea, rather than collapsable larynx. It usually isn't connected to car sickness though so this is interesting.

If Skiggy's main problem is coughing then what your vet is prescribing may be hydrocodone. This medication works well to inhibit coughing in dogs.

If the main problem is that she gets carsick it may be that they are prescribing Cerenia. Cerenia works great, but can be a little pricey. You may want to ask your vet if instead of Cerenia they could prescribe a medication called Acepromazine. This is less expensive and usually works well.

No vet, myself included, can prescribe medication without having done a physical exam and establishing a record in their practice. So, unfortunately I cannot prescribe medication for you.

You can ask your vet if they would write you a prescription that you could fill online. Many vets will do this for a small fee and this could save you some money.

I hope this helps!

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (11071 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (17605 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (17071 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (3657 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (15493 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (46346 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (7760 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (9947 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (69048 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (6345 views)