medicine for collapsing trachea

Breed: maltese/chihuhu
We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets car sick. Our current Vet charges $52 for a prescription of 4 tabs to help when she will not stop "honking". Online, you can get prescriptions cheaper but must have a prescription from a vet. Can you prescribe for emergency help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I think what you are mentioning with Skiggy is a collapsing trachea, rather than collapsable larynx. It usually isn't connected to car sickness though so this is interesting.

If Skiggy's main problem is coughing then what your vet is prescribing may be hydrocodone. This medication works well to inhibit coughing in dogs.

If the main problem is that she gets carsick it may be that they are prescribing Cerenia. Cerenia works great, but can be a little pricey. You may want to ask your vet if instead of Cerenia they could prescribe a medication called Acepromazine. This is less expensive and usually works well.

No vet, myself included, can prescribe medication without having done a physical exam and establishing a record in their practice. So, unfortunately I cannot prescribe medication for you.

You can ask your vet if they would write you a prescription that you could fill online. Many vets will do this for a small fee and this could save you some money.

I hope this helps!

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (14004 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (14327 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (23457 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (6493 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (13236 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (14115 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (9813 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (10873 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (10853 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (8481 views)