medicine for collapsing trachea

Breed: maltese/chihuhu
We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets car sick. Our current Vet charges $52 for a prescription of 4 tabs to help when she will not stop "honking". Online, you can get prescriptions cheaper but must have a prescription from a vet. Can you prescribe for emergency help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I think what you are mentioning with Skiggy is a collapsing trachea, rather than collapsable larynx. It usually isn't connected to car sickness though so this is interesting.

If Skiggy's main problem is coughing then what your vet is prescribing may be hydrocodone. This medication works well to inhibit coughing in dogs.

If the main problem is that she gets carsick it may be that they are prescribing Cerenia. Cerenia works great, but can be a little pricey. You may want to ask your vet if instead of Cerenia they could prescribe a medication called Acepromazine. This is less expensive and usually works well.

No vet, myself included, can prescribe medication without having done a physical exam and establishing a record in their practice. So, unfortunately I cannot prescribe medication for you.

You can ask your vet if they would write you a prescription that you could fill online. Many vets will do this for a small fee and this could save you some money.

I hope this helps!

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (8758 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (16146 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (8513 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (36691 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (8223 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (21607 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (8580 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (6577 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (211691 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (16661 views)