dead skin on wound

Breed: PitBull Boxer
My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under the metal bars. He has puss areas to which i have been cleaning with Prioxide and he is currently on antibodics witch the vet proscribed. How soon do I need to get the dead tissues removed??

Oh, so sorry to hear that Rex is having problems. If he has dead tissue it will look black in color. Really this should be removed as soon as possible. The question is, however whether it is really dead tissue or is it just bruised. Dead tissue is black and usually not painful if touched. If it is bruised then it may not have to be removed.

While peroxide is good for cleaning out a wound initially, it is not good for daily cleaning as it can cause damage to the tissues and slow down healing. A better alternative is a slow stream of lukewarm water for 5 minutes at a time several times per day. A good way to do this is by using the spray adapter on the kitchen sink.

If the wound is not healing as quickly as expected then it is a good idea to have your vet take another look.

I hope everything is healed soon!

I understand, but the first time I took him to the vet his skin was still attached so they told me to give him his anticboics twice a day and clean him. A week went by and his fur begin to shed greatly. Ranging from his shoulders to his tail area. At first his lower back was trying to form a scab but soon went back to displaying a white meat area. Towards his shoulders ( a square area) I am actullay able to see his skin lift up when he shakes off once again exposing his white meat area. I do see puss coming out the wounds witch i do clean on a daily bases. He is sensitive to the touch ,but will allow me to clean it. I took him to a second vet to get a second opinion to which they said that he had dead skin that needed to be removed asap. Im a college student doctor and my dog is the love of my life besides my books and studying. They told me that he needed surgery that would cost me about $600.00 dollars. For me thats alot of money but I am willing to do whatever it takes to make my dog well. I just need to know if thats my only option? and if so if rex have being dealing with this for about two weeks if it is possible that he can go another two weeks until i can come up with the money? Or should I go and get a third oppinion doctor? I tried to apply for carecredit but because Im only 20 years old I dont have an extended credit amount for the loan.

Oh, it sounds like you and Rex are really going through a hard time! This really sounds like an awful infection. I really do think that removing the dead skin and cleaning up the area surgically is the best idea. And, unfortunately the sooner this is done the better. It's hard for me to say whether this can wait for 2 weeks without me seeing Rex, but my gut instinct is that this should really be done as soon as possible.

It doesn't sound like the vets are trying to do things just to make money...especially if you have two agreeing on the situation.

There are some vets that will do payment plans, but many do not. One other thought...if you can't get approved for Care Credit, they will often approve you with a co-signer. Is there anyone who would cosign with you?

I really hope Rex is ok!

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (11771 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7478 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (72358 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11245 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (8209 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11653 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7848 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (9917 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14179 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10130 views)