Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

dead skin on wound

Species: Dog
Breed: PitBull Boxer
Age: 1-2 years
My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under the metal bars. He has puss areas to which i have been cleaning with Prioxide and he is currently on antibodics witch the vet proscribed. How soon do I need to get the dead tissues removed??


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, so sorry to hear that Rex is having problems. If he has dead tissue it will look black in color. Really this should be removed as soon as possible. The question is, however whether it is really dead tissue or is it just bruised. Dead tissue is black and usually not painful if touched. If it is bruised then it may not have to be removed.

While peroxide is good for cleaning out a wound initially, it is not good for daily cleaning as it can cause damage to the tissues and slow down healing. A better alternative is a slow stream of lukewarm water for 5 minutes at a time several times per day. A good way to do this is by using the spray adapter on the kitchen sink.

If the wound is not healing as quickly as expected then it is a good idea to have your vet take another look.

I hope everything is healed soon!


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

I understand, but the first time I took him to the vet his skin was still attached so they told me to give him his anticboics twice a day and clean him. A week went by and his fur begin to shed greatly. Ranging from his shoulders to his tail area. At first his lower back was trying to form a scab but soon went back to displaying a white meat area. Towards his shoulders ( a square area) I am actullay able to see his skin lift up when he shakes off once again exposing his white meat area. I do see puss coming out the wounds witch i do clean on a daily bases. He is sensitive to the touch ,but will allow me to clean it. I took him to a second vet to get a second opinion to which they said that he had dead skin that needed to be removed asap. Im a college student doctor and my dog is the love of my life besides my books and studying. They told me that he needed surgery that would cost me about $600.00 dollars. For me thats alot of money but I am willing to do whatever it takes to make my dog well. I just need to know if thats my only option? and if so if rex have being dealing with this for about two weeks if it is possible that he can go another two weeks until i can come up with the money? Or should I go and get a third oppinion doctor? I tried to apply for carecredit but because Im only 20 years old I dont have an extended credit amount for the loan.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, it sounds like you and Rex are really going through a hard time! This really sounds like an awful infection. I really do think that removing the dead skin and cleaning up the area surgically is the best idea. And, unfortunately the sooner this is done the better. It's hard for me to say whether this can wait for 2 weeks without me seeing Rex, but my gut instinct is that this should really be done as soon as possible.

It doesn't sound like the vets are trying to do things just to make money...especially if you have two agreeing on the situation.

There are some vets that will do payment plans, but many do not. One other thought...if you can't get approved for Care Credit, they will often approve you with a co-signer. Is there anyone who would cosign with you?

I really hope Rex is ok!

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (32091 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (12719 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6587 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12138 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (9461 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (20377 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (9864 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11986 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (11296 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (10139 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.