Vomiting kitten.

Breed: unknown
My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very energetic and loves to play. and is always on the move, jumping and flipping. we feed him every 5 hours 2 tablespoons of KMR. recently about an hour before we feed him he starts meowing and licking his lips gags and has even thrown up. his throw up is the same color of the kmr and looks a tiny bit foamy. His pee is clear and his poop is normal. He still is as active as ever and still has an appetite. whats wrong with him? should we take him to the vet?

Hi and thanks for your question.

The symptoms that you are describing do not sound normal. A kitten should not be vomiting like this. It's hard to say what the cause is without actually examining Jinxster but here are a few thoughts:

1. He could have a foreign object in his stomach that is stopping the food from passing through properly. However, if this were the case you should notice that he does not have much stool and is very thin and lethargic.

2. He could have a condition called megaesophagus. This is a condition where the tube from the mouth to the stomach does not move food along properly. Animals with this condition regurgitate their food very easily. However, this is very rare in cats. Also, it would not cause him to gag and vomit before eating.

3. He could have some parasites.

4. He could have a problem with his liver or kidneys that is causing him to not feel well...but again you would expect him to be quiet and not feeling well.

At 4 weeks old, this little guy should be able to eat solid food. I would consider starting him on some watered down canned kitten food. Hopefully he can keep this down better.

But, if this continues then he really should see a vet to have a good exam and see if they can figure out what is wrong. I wouldn't wait too long because kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

Hope things improve soon!

thank you for answering so quickly. I'm taking him to the vet today to see whats wrong

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7147 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9906 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6732 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (29966 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9263 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4946 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14176 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (10199 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (21756 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8140 views)