Dog afraid of dogs and people.

Breed: cocker spaniel
hello
i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another dog she seems to get terrified, we normally keep her on the lead but when she is she tries to get out of her collar and get away from the other dog.
but a few days ago she came into contact with another dog whilst she was off the lead and she ran out of the park, this problem is getting worse with he, she is like it when she meets new people and she is the at the worst when she see's little children.
i would love it if you could help me and my family
thank you for taking the time to read this email

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with Maisy being afraid of other dogs and people.

Dogs learn most of their social skills before the age of 12 weeks. So, if Maisy was not well socialized then this can be why she is nervous. However, she should still be able to be trained.

My first rule when I have a dog who is showing fear like this is to tell you to use no negative punishment at all. Only use positive reinforcement. Punishing her will simply make her more afraid.

She needs to have some confidence building exercises. One of the best ways to do this is to enroll in an obedience class. These classes are not just about teaching her how to sit and stay, but also they will help to teach her social skills.

The other thing you can do is to find a friend with a dog who is willing to help you. Then, give Maisy fun experiences with that dog. So, for example, go to the park and let Maisy sit next to you on leash. Then, start playing with the other dog, throwing a ball and just doing fun things. If Maisy shows any interest at all in the dog or the ball or in simply joining in then give her treats and lots of praise. Never punish her or speak harshly to her in this time period.

There are a number of other things that can be done. Hooking up with a personal trainer is a great idea. Or, setting up a behavioral consult with your vet may help as well.

I hope she improves soon!

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (15856 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (8824 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (10330 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (6229 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (7815 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (14820 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (10787 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (11965 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (3610 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (11299 views)