Dog afraid of dogs and people.

Breed: cocker spaniel
hello
i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another dog she seems to get terrified, we normally keep her on the lead but when she is she tries to get out of her collar and get away from the other dog.
but a few days ago she came into contact with another dog whilst she was off the lead and she ran out of the park, this problem is getting worse with he, she is like it when she meets new people and she is the at the worst when she see's little children.
i would love it if you could help me and my family
thank you for taking the time to read this email

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with Maisy being afraid of other dogs and people.

Dogs learn most of their social skills before the age of 12 weeks. So, if Maisy was not well socialized then this can be why she is nervous. However, she should still be able to be trained.

My first rule when I have a dog who is showing fear like this is to tell you to use no negative punishment at all. Only use positive reinforcement. Punishing her will simply make her more afraid.

She needs to have some confidence building exercises. One of the best ways to do this is to enroll in an obedience class. These classes are not just about teaching her how to sit and stay, but also they will help to teach her social skills.

The other thing you can do is to find a friend with a dog who is willing to help you. Then, give Maisy fun experiences with that dog. So, for example, go to the park and let Maisy sit next to you on leash. Then, start playing with the other dog, throwing a ball and just doing fun things. If Maisy shows any interest at all in the dog or the ball or in simply joining in then give her treats and lots of praise. Never punish her or speak harshly to her in this time period.

There are a number of other things that can be done. Hooking up with a personal trainer is a great idea. Or, setting up a behavioral consult with your vet may help as well.

I hope she improves soon!

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (11546 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (15251 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (16408 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4064 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (4785 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (4676 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (11407 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (41660 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (10978 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (18828 views)