Sneezing, vomiting, coughing.

Breed: cat
my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard breathing what can it be

Sorry to hear that Buddy is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, it sounds like you are describing an upper respiratory tract virus. These are quite common in kittens.

Many cats will get over an upper respiratory tract virus on their own similar to us getting over a cold on their own. However, there are a few criteria that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-if he is not eating.
-if you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from his eyes or nose.
-if he is really uncomfortable with his breathing.

If you are seeing any of these things then a vet visit is necessary. The vet will possibly prescribe antibiotics and perhaps an amino acid called lysine which will help him fight a virus.

In the meantime, you can encourage him to eat by heating up some canned food which will help to increase the odor and make it more appealing to him. Also, you can run the shower in the bathroom and get the bathroom steamy and then leave him in the room for 10 minutes. Do this a few times per day and this will help loosen up the congestion.

I hope he feels better soon!

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (5554 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (14832 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (15422 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (7165 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7986 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22912 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9366 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27460 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (50222 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (5378 views)