Sneezing, vomiting, coughing.

Breed: cat
my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard breathing what can it be

Sorry to hear that Buddy is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, it sounds like you are describing an upper respiratory tract virus. These are quite common in kittens.

Many cats will get over an upper respiratory tract virus on their own similar to us getting over a cold on their own. However, there are a few criteria that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-if he is not eating.
-if you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from his eyes or nose.
-if he is really uncomfortable with his breathing.

If you are seeing any of these things then a vet visit is necessary. The vet will possibly prescribe antibiotics and perhaps an amino acid called lysine which will help him fight a virus.

In the meantime, you can encourage him to eat by heating up some canned food which will help to increase the odor and make it more appealing to him. Also, you can run the shower in the bathroom and get the bathroom steamy and then leave him in the room for 10 minutes. Do this a few times per day and this will help loosen up the congestion.

I hope he feels better soon!

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5619 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8647 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4839 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (5128 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (46095 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13788 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17434 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (22252 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (29387 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (30343 views)