Sneezing, vomiting, coughing.

Breed: cat
my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard breathing what can it be

Sorry to hear that Buddy is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, it sounds like you are describing an upper respiratory tract virus. These are quite common in kittens.

Many cats will get over an upper respiratory tract virus on their own similar to us getting over a cold on their own. However, there are a few criteria that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-if he is not eating.
-if you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from his eyes or nose.
-if he is really uncomfortable with his breathing.

If you are seeing any of these things then a vet visit is necessary. The vet will possibly prescribe antibiotics and perhaps an amino acid called lysine which will help him fight a virus.

In the meantime, you can encourage him to eat by heating up some canned food which will help to increase the odor and make it more appealing to him. Also, you can run the shower in the bathroom and get the bathroom steamy and then leave him in the room for 10 minutes. Do this a few times per day and this will help loosen up the congestion.

I hope he feels better soon!

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7751 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (56787 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (44816 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11843 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (669728 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (19372 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (12862 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6302 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (14734 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (20677 views)