Sneezing, vomiting, coughing.

Breed: cat
my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard breathing what can it be

Sorry to hear that Buddy is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, it sounds like you are describing an upper respiratory tract virus. These are quite common in kittens.

Many cats will get over an upper respiratory tract virus on their own similar to us getting over a cold on their own. However, there are a few criteria that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-if he is not eating.
-if you are seeing a green or yellow discharge from his eyes or nose.
-if he is really uncomfortable with his breathing.

If you are seeing any of these things then a vet visit is necessary. The vet will possibly prescribe antibiotics and perhaps an amino acid called lysine which will help him fight a virus.

In the meantime, you can encourage him to eat by heating up some canned food which will help to increase the odor and make it more appealing to him. Also, you can run the shower in the bathroom and get the bathroom steamy and then leave him in the room for 10 minutes. Do this a few times per day and this will help loosen up the congestion.

I hope he feels better soon!

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (5307 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (25362 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (22414 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (25295 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (12588 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21142 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4650 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (6225 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (23195 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (12120 views)