Cat with diarrhea but eating.

Breed: tabby
My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away for 24 hours, and gave him fresh water with pedialyte. He continued to have diarrhea, vomiting had stopped. Today i have given him a small amount of wet food every 4 hours, and he has kept the food down. His stool is the consistency of pudding with some solid parts, but mostly pudding. He wants to eat, is drinking regularly, does not seem lethargic, grooming himself. He is extremely large, and it has not been possible to get him in a carrier even when I requested the vet to help me. I do not know what to do, what to look for. My fear is that the only way i can get him to the vet is to wait until he get weak, which is horrible. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your question about Spike. Sorry to hear that he has diarrhea.

There are a great number of things that can cause a cat to have diarrhea. The fact that he still wants to eat is great as this usually means that it is nothing too serious.

Sometimes cats can have diarrhea for a day or two as a result of eating something different or having a change in food. Or, it is possible to have diarrhea as a result of stress. (Has there been anything different in his life lately?)

If this is the case, then the treatment that you have done so far is good. I don't usually withhold food from cats though, but likely no harm is done.

As long as he is still bright and grooming himself and wanting to eat I think it's ok to wait for another day or two and see if he just gets better on his own.

It won't hurt to continue with the pedialyte if he still has diarrhea. However, if he is eating this is probably not necessary.

If the diarrhea is not going away, one thing you can do is take a stool sample to the vet's to have them do some tests to look for parasites.

If there are no parasites then somehow he does need to be seen. You may want to look into a different type of carrier. They make some great carriers these days that are like gym bags and it is usually not too hard to get a cat into one.

In some areas there are vets who do house calls for those cats who can't get in to the office, but of course this would be more expensive.

If the diarrhea doesn't clear up then a few things that could cause this in an older cat could be:
  • hyperthyroidism

• Inflammatory bowel disease

• Intestinal Lymphoma (not common)

• A virus (not common in an older cat though)

There really isn't any medicine that I can recommend.

I hope he is improving soon!

I will be offline for the next 30-60 minutes but if you need to reply I will check as soon as I am back online.

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5002 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (38876 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10282 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7572 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (10510 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (22201 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4123 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10056 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9734 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (13891 views)