Cat with diarrhea but eating.

Breed: tabby
My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away for 24 hours, and gave him fresh water with pedialyte. He continued to have diarrhea, vomiting had stopped. Today i have given him a small amount of wet food every 4 hours, and he has kept the food down. His stool is the consistency of pudding with some solid parts, but mostly pudding. He wants to eat, is drinking regularly, does not seem lethargic, grooming himself. He is extremely large, and it has not been possible to get him in a carrier even when I requested the vet to help me. I do not know what to do, what to look for. My fear is that the only way i can get him to the vet is to wait until he get weak, which is horrible. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your question about Spike. Sorry to hear that he has diarrhea.

There are a great number of things that can cause a cat to have diarrhea. The fact that he still wants to eat is great as this usually means that it is nothing too serious.

Sometimes cats can have diarrhea for a day or two as a result of eating something different or having a change in food. Or, it is possible to have diarrhea as a result of stress. (Has there been anything different in his life lately?)

If this is the case, then the treatment that you have done so far is good. I don't usually withhold food from cats though, but likely no harm is done.

As long as he is still bright and grooming himself and wanting to eat I think it's ok to wait for another day or two and see if he just gets better on his own.

It won't hurt to continue with the pedialyte if he still has diarrhea. However, if he is eating this is probably not necessary.

If the diarrhea is not going away, one thing you can do is take a stool sample to the vet's to have them do some tests to look for parasites.

If there are no parasites then somehow he does need to be seen. You may want to look into a different type of carrier. They make some great carriers these days that are like gym bags and it is usually not too hard to get a cat into one.

In some areas there are vets who do house calls for those cats who can't get in to the office, but of course this would be more expensive.

If the diarrhea doesn't clear up then a few things that could cause this in an older cat could be:
  • hyperthyroidism

• Inflammatory bowel disease

• Intestinal Lymphoma (not common)

• A virus (not common in an older cat though)

There really isn't any medicine that I can recommend.

I hope he is improving soon!

I will be offline for the next 30-60 minutes but if you need to reply I will check as soon as I am back online.

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4745 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19078 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (16945 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11606 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (15474 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (9121 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8503 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10262 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8620 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9547 views)