Wobbly after back surgery.

Breed: chichuhua /dachshund
My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to walk, sometimes as many as 20/30 steps but always ends up sitting down when her back end start to swivel. Is there anything I can do/buy to prevent this swiveling? Thanks.

Hi Caroline...I'm sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not doing well.

It sounds like what you are describing may be something called "ataxia". Ataxia means that there is hind end weakness or wobbliness. It happens because there is a problem with the spinal cord.

If Pumpkin had back surgery 2.5 years ago it is possible that there is some arthritis in the area that was operated on. Or, it is possible that she has a similar problem with a disc near the one that was operated on.

Has she been evaluated recently by her vet? She may benefit from anti-inflammatory medications or possibly even steroids. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that would be considered safe to use for this situation.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as some dogs with anal gland problems will sit suddenly. However, what you are describing sounds more like a back problem than anything else.

If your vet feels that medications will not help, you can consider a doggie wheelchair. This chair helps to support your dog's back legs and can give her a better level of comfort. I have a web page about dog wheelchairs at www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php. There are links to sites that sell dog wheelchairs.

I hope this helps and I hope she does ok!

thank-you!

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (16381 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (19872 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (16820 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41963 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (15949 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (7704 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (11639 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15135 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13981 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22282 views)