Wobbly after back surgery.

Breed: chichuhua /dachshund
My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to walk, sometimes as many as 20/30 steps but always ends up sitting down when her back end start to swivel. Is there anything I can do/buy to prevent this swiveling? Thanks.

Hi Caroline...I'm sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not doing well.

It sounds like what you are describing may be something called "ataxia". Ataxia means that there is hind end weakness or wobbliness. It happens because there is a problem with the spinal cord.

If Pumpkin had back surgery 2.5 years ago it is possible that there is some arthritis in the area that was operated on. Or, it is possible that she has a similar problem with a disc near the one that was operated on.

Has she been evaluated recently by her vet? She may benefit from anti-inflammatory medications or possibly even steroids. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that would be considered safe to use for this situation.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as some dogs with anal gland problems will sit suddenly. However, what you are describing sounds more like a back problem than anything else.

If your vet feels that medications will not help, you can consider a doggie wheelchair. This chair helps to support your dog's back legs and can give her a better level of comfort. I have a web page about dog wheelchairs at www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php. There are links to sites that sell dog wheelchairs.

I hope this helps and I hope she does ok!

thank-you!

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10384 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6849 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11207 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19046 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14264 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11740 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (13748 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18944 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12643 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (7941 views)