Wobbly after back surgery.

Breed: chichuhua /dachshund
My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to walk, sometimes as many as 20/30 steps but always ends up sitting down when her back end start to swivel. Is there anything I can do/buy to prevent this swiveling? Thanks.

Hi Caroline...I'm sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not doing well.

It sounds like what you are describing may be something called "ataxia". Ataxia means that there is hind end weakness or wobbliness. It happens because there is a problem with the spinal cord.

If Pumpkin had back surgery 2.5 years ago it is possible that there is some arthritis in the area that was operated on. Or, it is possible that she has a similar problem with a disc near the one that was operated on.

Has she been evaluated recently by her vet? She may benefit from anti-inflammatory medications or possibly even steroids. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that would be considered safe to use for this situation.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as some dogs with anal gland problems will sit suddenly. However, what you are describing sounds more like a back problem than anything else.

If your vet feels that medications will not help, you can consider a doggie wheelchair. This chair helps to support your dog's back legs and can give her a better level of comfort. I have a web page about dog wheelchairs at www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php. There are links to sites that sell dog wheelchairs.

I hope this helps and I hope she does ok!

thank-you!

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (11994 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (13433 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (13254 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (12369 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (14510 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (28466 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (10496 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (30739 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (8940 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (17679 views)