Wobbly after back surgery.

Breed: chichuhua /dachshund
My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to walk, sometimes as many as 20/30 steps but always ends up sitting down when her back end start to swivel. Is there anything I can do/buy to prevent this swiveling? Thanks.

Hi Caroline...I'm sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not doing well.

It sounds like what you are describing may be something called "ataxia". Ataxia means that there is hind end weakness or wobbliness. It happens because there is a problem with the spinal cord.

If Pumpkin had back surgery 2.5 years ago it is possible that there is some arthritis in the area that was operated on. Or, it is possible that she has a similar problem with a disc near the one that was operated on.

Has she been evaluated recently by her vet? She may benefit from anti-inflammatory medications or possibly even steroids. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that would be considered safe to use for this situation.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as some dogs with anal gland problems will sit suddenly. However, what you are describing sounds more like a back problem than anything else.

If your vet feels that medications will not help, you can consider a doggie wheelchair. This chair helps to support your dog's back legs and can give her a better level of comfort. I have a web page about dog wheelchairs at www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php. There are links to sites that sell dog wheelchairs.

I hope this helps and I hope she does ok!

thank-you!

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8446 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (6207 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11570 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (5076 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7898 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (31570 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6692 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (11096 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (20878 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7692 views)