Wobbly after back surgery.

Breed: chichuhua /dachshund
My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to walk, sometimes as many as 20/30 steps but always ends up sitting down when her back end start to swivel. Is there anything I can do/buy to prevent this swiveling? Thanks.

Hi Caroline...I'm sorry to hear that Pumpkin is not doing well.

It sounds like what you are describing may be something called "ataxia". Ataxia means that there is hind end weakness or wobbliness. It happens because there is a problem with the spinal cord.

If Pumpkin had back surgery 2.5 years ago it is possible that there is some arthritis in the area that was operated on. Or, it is possible that she has a similar problem with a disc near the one that was operated on.

Has she been evaluated recently by her vet? She may benefit from anti-inflammatory medications or possibly even steroids. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that would be considered safe to use for this situation.

You may also want to have your vet check her anal glands as some dogs with anal gland problems will sit suddenly. However, what you are describing sounds more like a back problem than anything else.

If your vet feels that medications will not help, you can consider a doggie wheelchair. This chair helps to support your dog's back legs and can give her a better level of comfort. I have a web page about dog wheelchairs at www.askavetquestion.com/spinal_injury.php. There are links to sites that sell dog wheelchairs.

I hope this helps and I hope she does ok!

thank-you!

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (19336 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (13404 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (50210 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (17985 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12489 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (16630 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6506 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9831 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (26741 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (10171 views)