Brown spots and hair loss.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Hi again Dr. Marie,
My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she is losing hair in circle spots but it is not red or weepy. The skin there feels a little "tacky and she has tiny brown spots that are easily washed off. I have tried benadryl, oatmeal shampoo, coal tar shampoo, hydrocortisone and currently I have started using malesab spray on the patches. The picture I am sending is NOT her but the skin in the pic is exactly what hers looks like in the spots. Do you have any hints or thoughts on this? She is fed a very high quality diet. She is spayed. She has had no other health problems. Thank you for your time,
Lisa Roach

Thank you for your question. Here is the image that you sent me that represents what you are seeing on Gracie's skin:

brown spots on dog's skin

I can't give you an exact answer without seeing Gracie in person. But, the skin in the photo that you sent me looks relatively normal. Sometimes dogs can get some areas of increased pigmentation and it can mean nothing. However, if it is itchy then there is probably something else going on.

There are a number of possible reasons for a dog to have hair loss in patches and also itchiness. One possibility is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common in Golden Retrievers. Often the cause is unknown. Some Goldens who get repeated infections can do so because of a condition called hypothyroidism. But even dogs with a normal thyroid can get skin infections. If this is what it is then she will need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. Antibiotic creams and sprays will not work.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. Mange usually causes patches like this that are most commonly on the elbows and ears but can appear anywhere. Mange is very itchy. Most vets will treat this with a heartworm and flea medication called Revolution but there are other treatments.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection, can look like this as well. Ringworm is not terribly common in dogs in my area, but it is possible. Ringworm needs prescription medicine as well.

An allergy is a less likely possibility. Allergies can cause skin itchiness but it's more likely to happen on the toes and inside the ears.

Unfortunately there is not likely to be an at home treatment for this. If there is something that is causing itchiness then most likely Gracie is going to need a vet to take a look and prescribe medication to fix the problem.

I wish I could offer you more over the internet!

Thank you for your reply.
The malesab spray seems to be relieving the itchiness dramatically. She is do for her blood panels soon so I will make her appointment. Thanks,
Lisa

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53345 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (20946 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5453 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (29513 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (12972 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (21439 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (8967 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4661 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8186 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25349 views)