Brown spots and hair loss.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Hi again Dr. Marie,
My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she is losing hair in circle spots but it is not red or weepy. The skin there feels a little "tacky and she has tiny brown spots that are easily washed off. I have tried benadryl, oatmeal shampoo, coal tar shampoo, hydrocortisone and currently I have started using malesab spray on the patches. The picture I am sending is NOT her but the skin in the pic is exactly what hers looks like in the spots. Do you have any hints or thoughts on this? She is fed a very high quality diet. She is spayed. She has had no other health problems. Thank you for your time,
Lisa Roach

Thank you for your question. Here is the image that you sent me that represents what you are seeing on Gracie's skin:

brown spots on dog's skin

I can't give you an exact answer without seeing Gracie in person. But, the skin in the photo that you sent me looks relatively normal. Sometimes dogs can get some areas of increased pigmentation and it can mean nothing. However, if it is itchy then there is probably something else going on.

There are a number of possible reasons for a dog to have hair loss in patches and also itchiness. One possibility is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common in Golden Retrievers. Often the cause is unknown. Some Goldens who get repeated infections can do so because of a condition called hypothyroidism. But even dogs with a normal thyroid can get skin infections. If this is what it is then she will need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. Antibiotic creams and sprays will not work.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. Mange usually causes patches like this that are most commonly on the elbows and ears but can appear anywhere. Mange is very itchy. Most vets will treat this with a heartworm and flea medication called Revolution but there are other treatments.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection, can look like this as well. Ringworm is not terribly common in dogs in my area, but it is possible. Ringworm needs prescription medicine as well.

An allergy is a less likely possibility. Allergies can cause skin itchiness but it's more likely to happen on the toes and inside the ears.

Unfortunately there is not likely to be an at home treatment for this. If there is something that is causing itchiness then most likely Gracie is going to need a vet to take a look and prescribe medication to fix the problem.

I wish I could offer you more over the internet!

Thank you for your reply.
The malesab spray seems to be relieving the itchiness dramatically. She is do for her blood panels soon so I will make her appointment. Thanks,
Lisa

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (15663 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11448 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (128840 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (6672 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6794 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (20223 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (9858 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19529 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7628 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13716 views)