Brown spots and hair loss.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Hi again Dr. Marie,
My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she is losing hair in circle spots but it is not red or weepy. The skin there feels a little "tacky and she has tiny brown spots that are easily washed off. I have tried benadryl, oatmeal shampoo, coal tar shampoo, hydrocortisone and currently I have started using malesab spray on the patches. The picture I am sending is NOT her but the skin in the pic is exactly what hers looks like in the spots. Do you have any hints or thoughts on this? She is fed a very high quality diet. She is spayed. She has had no other health problems. Thank you for your time,
Lisa Roach

Thank you for your question. Here is the image that you sent me that represents what you are seeing on Gracie's skin:

brown spots on dog's skin

I can't give you an exact answer without seeing Gracie in person. But, the skin in the photo that you sent me looks relatively normal. Sometimes dogs can get some areas of increased pigmentation and it can mean nothing. However, if it is itchy then there is probably something else going on.

There are a number of possible reasons for a dog to have hair loss in patches and also itchiness. One possibility is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common in Golden Retrievers. Often the cause is unknown. Some Goldens who get repeated infections can do so because of a condition called hypothyroidism. But even dogs with a normal thyroid can get skin infections. If this is what it is then she will need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. Antibiotic creams and sprays will not work.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. Mange usually causes patches like this that are most commonly on the elbows and ears but can appear anywhere. Mange is very itchy. Most vets will treat this with a heartworm and flea medication called Revolution but there are other treatments.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection, can look like this as well. Ringworm is not terribly common in dogs in my area, but it is possible. Ringworm needs prescription medicine as well.

An allergy is a less likely possibility. Allergies can cause skin itchiness but it's more likely to happen on the toes and inside the ears.

Unfortunately there is not likely to be an at home treatment for this. If there is something that is causing itchiness then most likely Gracie is going to need a vet to take a look and prescribe medication to fix the problem.

I wish I could offer you more over the internet!

Thank you for your reply.
The malesab spray seems to be relieving the itchiness dramatically. She is do for her blood panels soon so I will make her appointment. Thanks,
Lisa

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (11482 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (49500 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (54811 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (10603 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10491 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19609 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4978 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (65114 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (34385 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6743 views)