Brown spots and hair loss.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Hi again Dr. Marie,
My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she is losing hair in circle spots but it is not red or weepy. The skin there feels a little "tacky and she has tiny brown spots that are easily washed off. I have tried benadryl, oatmeal shampoo, coal tar shampoo, hydrocortisone and currently I have started using malesab spray on the patches. The picture I am sending is NOT her but the skin in the pic is exactly what hers looks like in the spots. Do you have any hints or thoughts on this? She is fed a very high quality diet. She is spayed. She has had no other health problems. Thank you for your time,
Lisa Roach

Thank you for your question. Here is the image that you sent me that represents what you are seeing on Gracie's skin:

brown spots on dog's skin

I can't give you an exact answer without seeing Gracie in person. But, the skin in the photo that you sent me looks relatively normal. Sometimes dogs can get some areas of increased pigmentation and it can mean nothing. However, if it is itchy then there is probably something else going on.

There are a number of possible reasons for a dog to have hair loss in patches and also itchiness. One possibility is a bacterial skin infection. These are really common in Golden Retrievers. Often the cause is unknown. Some Goldens who get repeated infections can do so because of a condition called hypothyroidism. But even dogs with a normal thyroid can get skin infections. If this is what it is then she will need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet. Antibiotic creams and sprays will not work.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. Mange usually causes patches like this that are most commonly on the elbows and ears but can appear anywhere. Mange is very itchy. Most vets will treat this with a heartworm and flea medication called Revolution but there are other treatments.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection, can look like this as well. Ringworm is not terribly common in dogs in my area, but it is possible. Ringworm needs prescription medicine as well.

An allergy is a less likely possibility. Allergies can cause skin itchiness but it's more likely to happen on the toes and inside the ears.

Unfortunately there is not likely to be an at home treatment for this. If there is something that is causing itchiness then most likely Gracie is going to need a vet to take a look and prescribe medication to fix the problem.

I wish I could offer you more over the internet!

Thank you for your reply.
The malesab spray seems to be relieving the itchiness dramatically. She is do for her blood panels soon so I will make her appointment. Thanks,
Lisa

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (51123 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (17913 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32034 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10471 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9985 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7886 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4920 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11900 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7493 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7668 views)