Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy.

Breed: Labrador Retriever
My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After consulting with my vet, it seems that it may have been some type of bite as she was put on Cephalexin for two weeks and it has shrunk to almost normal again. I am going in for another check this coming week.
BUT, here is my question. My vet suggested I spay her to prevent pyometra and ovarian and uterine cancers later in life. I have heard of a procedure called minimally invasive surgery where the ovaries are removed, but the uterus is not. I cannot fathom putting my Shadow through a needless surgery by removing the uterus if it is not needed. I hear that the minimally invasive surgery solves the same problems as the open spay, so I need to know your opinion on this less invasive surgery. I do not care about costs, so that is not a factor. I would give every penny I own, then borrow more just to save my Shadow needless pain and the chance of complications. Thank you for listening! Rick

Hi Rick. I often get asked about doing what is called an ovari-ectomy as opposed to a regular spay (ovario hysterectomy).

There are some vets that will do an ovariectomy (i.e. just remove the ovaries.) but most (including me) still do a full spay and remove the entire uterus.

The potential benefits to doing the ovariectomy are a slightly reduced surgery time and also a smaller incision. However, in my mind, the difference is negligible. When I do a spay on a dog the size of a lab, my incision may be about 1.5 cm long. Perhaps if I did an ovariectomy it could be 1 cm, but really that's not much difference. Similarly, a regular spay for a dog this size may take me 25 minutes. I'm not sure how long an ovariectomy takes, but even if it is half that time, there is not much difference to the dog.

There really is not much difference in the recovery time for either surgery (as far as I understand.) Both are abdominal surgeries with a belly incision. The length of the incision doesn't change the healing time. Having a uterus still in the body doesn't make it less painful. And, that uterus that remains could possibly be a source for cancer in the future. Having no ovaries will mean that pyometra is not going to happen, however, so that is good.

So here is the way I conclude this. A ovariectomy can be a little shorter and have a slightly smaller incision. But, I would only say that this is true for someone who is experienced in doing ovariectomies. In my case, I have done thousands, if not tens of thousands of regular spays in my career. But, I've never done an ovariectomy. So, if you asked me to do one on your dog, this would be my first time doing one and I would not be terribly comfortable as a surgeon doing this.

Perhaps, if your vet has done lots of ovariectomies, it may be something to consider. But, if a regular spay (ovariohysterectomy) is the norm for him or her, then I would have that done.

Dogs recover really quickly from a spay. She will be fine!

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6962 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (8984 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (11533 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (16169 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7628 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9395 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10001 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (298195 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (44778 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4570 views)