Dog Scorpion Bite.

Breed: Bechan-Frese Yorkie
My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out easy enough and when i was holding her she just stopped but looked a bit freaked out, then i found a scorpian with its stinger on but dead....bella seems perfectly normal! What happened? What should we do?

It sounds like your dog was stung by the scorpion!

Scorpions do not lose their stinger after stinging. What happens is they grasp their "prey" with their pincers and then arch their body to insert the stinger into the body. Then, through the stinger they inject venom into the dog.

The good news is that in the United States, most scorpion bites are not terribly dangerous. The most common scorpion found in the US is the Centruroides species which looks something like this:

dog scorpion bite

While a bite from this scorpion really hurts, it doesn't usually cause significant problems. However, there are some animals that are allergic to scorpion bites and can get a quite severe allergic reaction. (This is similar to how most people can be stung by a bee and experience pain while other people can have an allergic reaction to a bee sting.)

Outside of the United States there are a few breeds of scorpions that can inject a deadly toxin. Symptoms of a sting from a dangerous type of scorpion include:

• disorientation

• high blood pressure

• paralysis

• convulsions

• tremors

• drooling

• heart arrythmias

• death

It sounds like Bella had an awful fright with the sting but she should be just fine!

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5694 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14164 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (20946 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (72018 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (28321 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6725 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (8668 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22016 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (35919 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8092 views)