Dog Scorpion Bite.

Breed: Bechan-Frese Yorkie
My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out easy enough and when i was holding her she just stopped but looked a bit freaked out, then i found a scorpian with its stinger on but dead....bella seems perfectly normal! What happened? What should we do?

It sounds like your dog was stung by the scorpion!

Scorpions do not lose their stinger after stinging. What happens is they grasp their "prey" with their pincers and then arch their body to insert the stinger into the body. Then, through the stinger they inject venom into the dog.

The good news is that in the United States, most scorpion bites are not terribly dangerous. The most common scorpion found in the US is the Centruroides species which looks something like this:

dog scorpion bite

While a bite from this scorpion really hurts, it doesn't usually cause significant problems. However, there are some animals that are allergic to scorpion bites and can get a quite severe allergic reaction. (This is similar to how most people can be stung by a bee and experience pain while other people can have an allergic reaction to a bee sting.)

Outside of the United States there are a few breeds of scorpions that can inject a deadly toxin. Symptoms of a sting from a dangerous type of scorpion include:

• disorientation

• high blood pressure

• paralysis

• convulsions

• tremors

• drooling

• heart arrythmias

• death

It sounds like Bella had an awful fright with the sting but she should be just fine!

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (6608 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (11285 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (10062 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (23651 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (6426 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (21067 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (23752 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (9711 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (17346 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (8124 views)