Dog Scorpion Bite.

Breed: Bechan-Frese Yorkie
My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out easy enough and when i was holding her she just stopped but looked a bit freaked out, then i found a scorpian with its stinger on but dead....bella seems perfectly normal! What happened? What should we do?

It sounds like your dog was stung by the scorpion!

Scorpions do not lose their stinger after stinging. What happens is they grasp their "prey" with their pincers and then arch their body to insert the stinger into the body. Then, through the stinger they inject venom into the dog.

The good news is that in the United States, most scorpion bites are not terribly dangerous. The most common scorpion found in the US is the Centruroides species which looks something like this:

dog scorpion bite

While a bite from this scorpion really hurts, it doesn't usually cause significant problems. However, there are some animals that are allergic to scorpion bites and can get a quite severe allergic reaction. (This is similar to how most people can be stung by a bee and experience pain while other people can have an allergic reaction to a bee sting.)

Outside of the United States there are a few breeds of scorpions that can inject a deadly toxin. Symptoms of a sting from a dangerous type of scorpion include:

• disorientation

• high blood pressure

• paralysis

• convulsions

• tremors

• drooling

• heart arrythmias

• death

It sounds like Bella had an awful fright with the sting but she should be just fine!

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6965 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (9310 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (11728 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (6182 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (8725 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (8129 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (11127 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (8639 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (30230 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (40517 views)