Dog Scorpion Bite.

Breed: Bechan-Frese Yorkie
My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out easy enough and when i was holding her she just stopped but looked a bit freaked out, then i found a scorpian with its stinger on but dead....bella seems perfectly normal! What happened? What should we do?

It sounds like your dog was stung by the scorpion!

Scorpions do not lose their stinger after stinging. What happens is they grasp their "prey" with their pincers and then arch their body to insert the stinger into the body. Then, through the stinger they inject venom into the dog.

The good news is that in the United States, most scorpion bites are not terribly dangerous. The most common scorpion found in the US is the Centruroides species which looks something like this:

dog scorpion bite

While a bite from this scorpion really hurts, it doesn't usually cause significant problems. However, there are some animals that are allergic to scorpion bites and can get a quite severe allergic reaction. (This is similar to how most people can be stung by a bee and experience pain while other people can have an allergic reaction to a bee sting.)

Outside of the United States there are a few breeds of scorpions that can inject a deadly toxin. Symptoms of a sting from a dangerous type of scorpion include:

• disorientation

• high blood pressure

• paralysis

• convulsions

• tremors

• drooling

• heart arrythmias

• death

It sounds like Bella had an awful fright with the sting but she should be just fine!

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (11460 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (4730 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (7518 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9322 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (10284 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (29129 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (29556 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (15521 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6479 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (12861 views)