Dog Scorpion Bite.

Breed: Bechan-Frese Yorkie
My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out easy enough and when i was holding her she just stopped but looked a bit freaked out, then i found a scorpian with its stinger on but dead....bella seems perfectly normal! What happened? What should we do?

It sounds like your dog was stung by the scorpion!

Scorpions do not lose their stinger after stinging. What happens is they grasp their "prey" with their pincers and then arch their body to insert the stinger into the body. Then, through the stinger they inject venom into the dog.

The good news is that in the United States, most scorpion bites are not terribly dangerous. The most common scorpion found in the US is the Centruroides species which looks something like this:

dog scorpion bite

While a bite from this scorpion really hurts, it doesn't usually cause significant problems. However, there are some animals that are allergic to scorpion bites and can get a quite severe allergic reaction. (This is similar to how most people can be stung by a bee and experience pain while other people can have an allergic reaction to a bee sting.)

Outside of the United States there are a few breeds of scorpions that can inject a deadly toxin. Symptoms of a sting from a dangerous type of scorpion include:

• disorientation

• high blood pressure

• paralysis

• convulsions

• tremors

• drooling

• heart arrythmias

• death

It sounds like Bella had an awful fright with the sting but she should be just fine!

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32008 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (13149 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8730 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (12547 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (8518 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (7090 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (20220 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (8897 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (28796 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (76110 views)