High liver enzymes.

Breed: Sharpei/Chow MIx
I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming home, I had taken Archie to his vet the following day for an examination, which the vet said he was healthy. A couple of days later, Archie started to sneeze more than usual and his nose was runny more than usual as well. We took him to the vet, who had noticed his tonsils were inflamed, but otherwise, Archie was fine upon examination. The vet ordered doxycycline and prednisone for two weeks and a follow-up after the medications were finished. Archie finished the medications on time and when we had a follow-up appointment, the vet examined him and stated that he's doing much better. However, a couple of days later, he vomited several times in one day, which made us bring him back to the vet. The vet did blood work, which shown his liver enzymes were extremely high with one value not being able to register. (Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the values, but I will be obtaining them in a few hours). The vet stated we can put him on a treatment, but that it may not work and that putting him down is also an option. Archie's temperament has not change. He's still an active, happy dog. He is still eating and drinking as he usually does. I've read many articles since getting the news especially on prednisone and supplements that can help promote liver function, which leads me to my question.

Once I start him on supplements after consulting with his vet, will his liver enzymes go down especially since he has just finished the prednisone a couple of days ago?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Archie is having these problems. It sounds like there is a lot that we still don't know about his situation.

From what you've written I see the following: He was boarding and shortly after he came home he was sneezing with a runny nose. He was put on antibiotics and prednisone and improved, but then started vomiting. His blood work showed very high liver enzymes.

When I see a Sharpei dog with high liver enzymes I wonder about a very serious condition called hepatic amyloidosis. Dogs with severely high liver enzymes and this condition unfortunately do not survive. It is something that Sharpeis can be born with a genetic disposition towards.

However, amyloidosis doesn't fit with the respiratory signs. I really can't think of any condition that would start with respiratory signs and end in severe liver disease.

In people, doxycycline can cause severe liver damage. It has not been reported as far as I know in dogs. There really isn't a way to test if this is the cause though. It's very unlikely to be because of the prednisone.

I think that your vet's plan is a good one. If this were my case I would be putting him on some liver supplements and recheck his liver enzymes in a few weeks. I would also offer you more tests for the liver such as an ultrasound guided biopsy but this is expensive and does come with a little bit of risk.

Liver issues can be difficult to understand and often it can be frustrating when we don't know what is going on.

I really hope things are better soon.

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26363 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (7209 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4023 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10706 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8338 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (14597 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (27569 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13027 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9857 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19152 views)