High liver enzymes.

Breed: Sharpei/Chow MIx
I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming home, I had taken Archie to his vet the following day for an examination, which the vet said he was healthy. A couple of days later, Archie started to sneeze more than usual and his nose was runny more than usual as well. We took him to the vet, who had noticed his tonsils were inflamed, but otherwise, Archie was fine upon examination. The vet ordered doxycycline and prednisone for two weeks and a follow-up after the medications were finished. Archie finished the medications on time and when we had a follow-up appointment, the vet examined him and stated that he's doing much better. However, a couple of days later, he vomited several times in one day, which made us bring him back to the vet. The vet did blood work, which shown his liver enzymes were extremely high with one value not being able to register. (Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the values, but I will be obtaining them in a few hours). The vet stated we can put him on a treatment, but that it may not work and that putting him down is also an option. Archie's temperament has not change. He's still an active, happy dog. He is still eating and drinking as he usually does. I've read many articles since getting the news especially on prednisone and supplements that can help promote liver function, which leads me to my question.

Once I start him on supplements after consulting with his vet, will his liver enzymes go down especially since he has just finished the prednisone a couple of days ago?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Archie is having these problems. It sounds like there is a lot that we still don't know about his situation.

From what you've written I see the following: He was boarding and shortly after he came home he was sneezing with a runny nose. He was put on antibiotics and prednisone and improved, but then started vomiting. His blood work showed very high liver enzymes.

When I see a Sharpei dog with high liver enzymes I wonder about a very serious condition called hepatic amyloidosis. Dogs with severely high liver enzymes and this condition unfortunately do not survive. It is something that Sharpeis can be born with a genetic disposition towards.

However, amyloidosis doesn't fit with the respiratory signs. I really can't think of any condition that would start with respiratory signs and end in severe liver disease.

In people, doxycycline can cause severe liver damage. It has not been reported as far as I know in dogs. There really isn't a way to test if this is the cause though. It's very unlikely to be because of the prednisone.

I think that your vet's plan is a good one. If this were my case I would be putting him on some liver supplements and recheck his liver enzymes in a few weeks. I would also offer you more tests for the liver such as an ultrasound guided biopsy but this is expensive and does come with a little bit of risk.

Liver issues can be difficult to understand and often it can be frustrating when we don't know what is going on.

I really hope things are better soon.

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (4834 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (6662 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6701 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8818 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (33031 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14059 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (68564 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (8054 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22078 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (14914 views)