Bumps around anus.

Breed: Labrador
Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She has always had itchiness, and started getting some bumps (pimple sizes) in the area of her vagina and anus..but now it is the worst ever. She drags herself around the carpet or grass to try and deal with it. I took her off prednazone 2 years ago, I gave her benadryl for a few months,but it makes her sleepy. For the past 15 months I have used topical anti-itch creams. How can I relieve her itch and prevent this swollen area?

Oh, the poor girl. That sounds really uncomfortable!

The most common reason for a dog to be irritated around the vulva and anus is allergies. Often it can be food allergies, but not always.

If the skin is *really* inflamed then the itchy allergic skin may have gotten infected. If this is the case then she will need a prescription of oral antibiotics from your vet.

I find that benadryl does not work that well for dogs with allergies. It may work for mild allergies, but not when a dog is this itchy. The drug that works the best for me is indeed prednisone. I have a number of dogs in my clinic that are on an extremely low dose of prednisone every other day long term for their allergies.

It may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about trying hypoallergenic food. Don't waste money on over the counter "allergy" foods, but rather use a prescription one like Hill's z/d or anything else that your vet prescribes. If you do use hypoallergenic food then you need to feed ONLY that and nothing else. One little treat here and there can cause serious allergies even if a dog is on hypoallergenic food.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area, so it is best to have your vet see her again. She could have anal gland problems. This wouldn't cause her vulva to be irritated, but then if she was rubbing her bum on the floor enough it could irritate her vulva as well. There are also immune conditions such as perianal fistulas that can do this, but what you are describing doesn't sound like that.

There really isn't an at home solution that is going to fix her problem. Steroid creams can give a little bit of relief, but it sounds like she needs some prescription meds.

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9860 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (16796 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11244 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (43213 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6485 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (18397 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (13309 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (63187 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (114944 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14886 views)