Bumps around anus.

Breed: Labrador
Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She has always had itchiness, and started getting some bumps (pimple sizes) in the area of her vagina and anus..but now it is the worst ever. She drags herself around the carpet or grass to try and deal with it. I took her off prednazone 2 years ago, I gave her benadryl for a few months,but it makes her sleepy. For the past 15 months I have used topical anti-itch creams. How can I relieve her itch and prevent this swollen area?

Oh, the poor girl. That sounds really uncomfortable!

The most common reason for a dog to be irritated around the vulva and anus is allergies. Often it can be food allergies, but not always.

If the skin is *really* inflamed then the itchy allergic skin may have gotten infected. If this is the case then she will need a prescription of oral antibiotics from your vet.

I find that benadryl does not work that well for dogs with allergies. It may work for mild allergies, but not when a dog is this itchy. The drug that works the best for me is indeed prednisone. I have a number of dogs in my clinic that are on an extremely low dose of prednisone every other day long term for their allergies.

It may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about trying hypoallergenic food. Don't waste money on over the counter "allergy" foods, but rather use a prescription one like Hill's z/d or anything else that your vet prescribes. If you do use hypoallergenic food then you need to feed ONLY that and nothing else. One little treat here and there can cause serious allergies even if a dog is on hypoallergenic food.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area, so it is best to have your vet see her again. She could have anal gland problems. This wouldn't cause her vulva to be irritated, but then if she was rubbing her bum on the floor enough it could irritate her vulva as well. There are also immune conditions such as perianal fistulas that can do this, but what you are describing doesn't sound like that.

There really isn't an at home solution that is going to fix her problem. Steroid creams can give a little bit of relief, but it sounds like she needs some prescription meds.

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (25226 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (23856 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (12402 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (35352 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (18359 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (8562 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (13890 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (10010 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (13359 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (9055 views)