Bumps around anus.

Breed: Labrador
Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She has always had itchiness, and started getting some bumps (pimple sizes) in the area of her vagina and anus..but now it is the worst ever. She drags herself around the carpet or grass to try and deal with it. I took her off prednazone 2 years ago, I gave her benadryl for a few months,but it makes her sleepy. For the past 15 months I have used topical anti-itch creams. How can I relieve her itch and prevent this swollen area?

Oh, the poor girl. That sounds really uncomfortable!

The most common reason for a dog to be irritated around the vulva and anus is allergies. Often it can be food allergies, but not always.

If the skin is *really* inflamed then the itchy allergic skin may have gotten infected. If this is the case then she will need a prescription of oral antibiotics from your vet.

I find that benadryl does not work that well for dogs with allergies. It may work for mild allergies, but not when a dog is this itchy. The drug that works the best for me is indeed prednisone. I have a number of dogs in my clinic that are on an extremely low dose of prednisone every other day long term for their allergies.

It may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about trying hypoallergenic food. Don't waste money on over the counter "allergy" foods, but rather use a prescription one like Hill's z/d or anything else that your vet prescribes. If you do use hypoallergenic food then you need to feed ONLY that and nothing else. One little treat here and there can cause serious allergies even if a dog is on hypoallergenic food.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area, so it is best to have your vet see her again. She could have anal gland problems. This wouldn't cause her vulva to be irritated, but then if she was rubbing her bum on the floor enough it could irritate her vulva as well. There are also immune conditions such as perianal fistulas that can do this, but what you are describing doesn't sound like that.

There really isn't an at home solution that is going to fix her problem. Steroid creams can give a little bit of relief, but it sounds like she needs some prescription meds.

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (7873 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9726 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5188 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19256 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (12683 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (21333 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (26820 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9838 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49520 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8210 views)