Bumps around anus.

Breed: Labrador
Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She has always had itchiness, and started getting some bumps (pimple sizes) in the area of her vagina and anus..but now it is the worst ever. She drags herself around the carpet or grass to try and deal with it. I took her off prednazone 2 years ago, I gave her benadryl for a few months,but it makes her sleepy. For the past 15 months I have used topical anti-itch creams. How can I relieve her itch and prevent this swollen area?

Oh, the poor girl. That sounds really uncomfortable!

The most common reason for a dog to be irritated around the vulva and anus is allergies. Often it can be food allergies, but not always.

If the skin is *really* inflamed then the itchy allergic skin may have gotten infected. If this is the case then she will need a prescription of oral antibiotics from your vet.

I find that benadryl does not work that well for dogs with allergies. It may work for mild allergies, but not when a dog is this itchy. The drug that works the best for me is indeed prednisone. I have a number of dogs in my clinic that are on an extremely low dose of prednisone every other day long term for their allergies.

It may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about trying hypoallergenic food. Don't waste money on over the counter "allergy" foods, but rather use a prescription one like Hill's z/d or anything else that your vet prescribes. If you do use hypoallergenic food then you need to feed ONLY that and nothing else. One little treat here and there can cause serious allergies even if a dog is on hypoallergenic food.

There are other things that can cause itchiness in this area, so it is best to have your vet see her again. She could have anal gland problems. This wouldn't cause her vulva to be irritated, but then if she was rubbing her bum on the floor enough it could irritate her vulva as well. There are also immune conditions such as perianal fistulas that can do this, but what you are describing doesn't sound like that.

There really isn't an at home solution that is going to fix her problem. Steroid creams can give a little bit of relief, but it sounds like she needs some prescription meds.

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9723 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5648 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4792 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5414 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (13706 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (15956 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (44867 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5656 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (23575 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5632 views)