Lumps on hamster.

Breed: bear hamster
Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones grow every day. right side of her belly became bigger. I took her to a vet and she said it's probably cancer, but no one checked my hamster for mites or other parasites. is that something I can do? Can it be not cancer?

Hamster can hardly walk and I don t know should I put her to sleep? I just feel I cant do it/

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Niusha is having these problems. Hamsters are definitely prone to cancer. And a hamster that is older than a year is definitely an older one. (On average they live about 18 months.)

There is a type of virus that can cause lumps on hamsters. However, the lumps that form are actually cancerous. You can read more about this type of situation here: Polyoma Virus.

There are some parasites that hamsters can get but they don't usually cause lumps. They can cause scabby areas and if the scabby areas get infected then I suppose you could see some small lumps. But I would say that cancerous tumors are by far the more likely diagnosis.

There is no harm in asking your vet to do a test called a skin scraping to look for parasites. But, if a parasite is causing this much disease then there is usually an underlying reason for this such as cushing's disease which is very serious.

If Niusha is hardly able to walk then she is probably very uncomfortable and euthanasia really is something that should be considered. Euthanasia is not painful. She will not be aware of what is happening. In cases like this we have to think of what is best for the animal and if she is not enjoying life and has very little hope of improvement then this may be the decision that has to be made. Your vet really should be able to advise you on whether euthanasia is the best decision.

I know this is hard. But it does sound like there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

Can i send to you her lump pictures?

Sure! Send me photos at photos@askavetquestion.com.

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (27488 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (7754 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (23152 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (8481 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (8287 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (9452 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (10254 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (8474 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (65346 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (18414 views)