Lumps on hamster.

Breed: bear hamster
Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones grow every day. right side of her belly became bigger. I took her to a vet and she said it's probably cancer, but no one checked my hamster for mites or other parasites. is that something I can do? Can it be not cancer?

Hamster can hardly walk and I don t know should I put her to sleep? I just feel I cant do it/

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Niusha is having these problems. Hamsters are definitely prone to cancer. And a hamster that is older than a year is definitely an older one. (On average they live about 18 months.)

There is a type of virus that can cause lumps on hamsters. However, the lumps that form are actually cancerous. You can read more about this type of situation here: Polyoma Virus.

There are some parasites that hamsters can get but they don't usually cause lumps. They can cause scabby areas and if the scabby areas get infected then I suppose you could see some small lumps. But I would say that cancerous tumors are by far the more likely diagnosis.

There is no harm in asking your vet to do a test called a skin scraping to look for parasites. But, if a parasite is causing this much disease then there is usually an underlying reason for this such as cushing's disease which is very serious.

If Niusha is hardly able to walk then she is probably very uncomfortable and euthanasia really is something that should be considered. Euthanasia is not painful. She will not be aware of what is happening. In cases like this we have to think of what is best for the animal and if she is not enjoying life and has very little hope of improvement then this may be the decision that has to be made. Your vet really should be able to advise you on whether euthanasia is the best decision.

I know this is hard. But it does sound like there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

Can i send to you her lump pictures?

Sure! Send me photos at photos@askavetquestion.com.

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (11296 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9254 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (8276 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (43814 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (27732 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8227 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5353 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15577 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (7370 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (12122 views)