Lumps on hamster.

Breed: bear hamster
Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones grow every day. right side of her belly became bigger. I took her to a vet and she said it's probably cancer, but no one checked my hamster for mites or other parasites. is that something I can do? Can it be not cancer?

Hamster can hardly walk and I don t know should I put her to sleep? I just feel I cant do it/

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Niusha is having these problems. Hamsters are definitely prone to cancer. And a hamster that is older than a year is definitely an older one. (On average they live about 18 months.)

There is a type of virus that can cause lumps on hamsters. However, the lumps that form are actually cancerous. You can read more about this type of situation here: Polyoma Virus.

There are some parasites that hamsters can get but they don't usually cause lumps. They can cause scabby areas and if the scabby areas get infected then I suppose you could see some small lumps. But I would say that cancerous tumors are by far the more likely diagnosis.

There is no harm in asking your vet to do a test called a skin scraping to look for parasites. But, if a parasite is causing this much disease then there is usually an underlying reason for this such as cushing's disease which is very serious.

If Niusha is hardly able to walk then she is probably very uncomfortable and euthanasia really is something that should be considered. Euthanasia is not painful. She will not be aware of what is happening. In cases like this we have to think of what is best for the animal and if she is not enjoying life and has very little hope of improvement then this may be the decision that has to be made. Your vet really should be able to advise you on whether euthanasia is the best decision.

I know this is hard. But it does sound like there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

Can i send to you her lump pictures?

Sure! Send me photos at photos@askavetquestion.com.

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (18113 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (16360 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (8107 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (5903 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (5041 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (13973 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (3599 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (11384 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (5068 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (13782 views)