Vomiting diabetic cat.

Breed: DSH
Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid almost daily. He gets two shots of insulin a day, one pill of eltroxin and we feed him wet food(Wellness Brand) when ever he is hungry. He was on Metacam for some rear legs/hip issues but we recently took him off that and that has seems to help a little with the vomiting. He eats quite a bit and has no problems going to the bathroom. He is slow and old but is there anything we can try before I have to take him to our vet.To me it seems like its a problem digesting. Anyways...any help would be appreciated!!

Dean

Hi Dean and thanks for your question.

Vomiting cats can be very frustrating! There are a great many possible reasons for a cat to vomit every day. While I won't be able to say for sure why Indy is vomiting and what you can do about it, I can give you a few ideas.

Sometimes vomiting can be because of hairballs, even if what is coming up doesn't look like a hairball. It's possible that there is a hairball in the stomach that is occasionally blocking over the outflow of the stomach. It won't hurt to try a hair ball medication such as Laxatone to see if this helps. I usually recommend giving it daily for 5 days and then twice weekly. However, some of these hairball medications can possibly cause changes in a diabetic cat's insulin levels so you should check with your vet first to make sure this is ok to do for Indy.

Is it definitely eltroxin that Indy is on? This is a thyroid medication that is meant to increase the thyroid level. The only time I ever put cats on this medication is if they have had radioactive iodine therapy on their thyroid gland and their thyroid level becomes too low. Cats really don't become hypothryoid on their own. If a cat is on eltroxin then they need to have their T4 level checked regularly. It's possible that the thyroid level is either too high or too low and either of these could cause vomiting. Don't change the medication dose though without having blood tests done first.

You can also ask your vet about using a medication called famotidine (pepcid). It is a good antacid that helps many cats with vomiting issues.

Many cats who vomit regularly have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), even if they have normal bowel movements. However, treating this is difficult in a diabetic cat because we treat this with steroids which are not easy for diabetic cats to handle. But, if there is IBD, sometimes we can see changes in B12 or folate levels on bloodwork and these can be supplemented to help.

Here is another thought. It's likely not this, but did you know that there was a recall on some wellness brand foods in the last few months? You may want to check and see if your food is on the list. Here is a list of the recalled Wellness foods.

And finally, has Indy had his glucose levels checked recently? Vomiting can be a sign of getting too much or not enough insulin. You can ask your vet whether doing a glucose curve may help.

I'm sorry I don't have a direct answer for you. (If I could solve the problem of chronic vomiting in cats I'd be rich!) But hopefully this information helps!

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15109 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (16241 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (6450 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (7384 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (96541 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (9905 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (70547 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (19764 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (14729 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (42019 views)