Pimples on dog's stomach.

Breed: Shih-tzu
Your Question: Edit Question
Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all over his stomach. He was extremely itchy and could not sit still. We brought him to our local vet and she seemed to think that it was an allergy and told us to change hi food, his bedding and anything else that we could think of. She gave him Benadryl and other antihistamines and it seemed to go away for a while. But, since then (December 2009) this has happened periodically every three months or so and we have tried everything to get rid of these pimple. They appear raised and sometimes puss-filled. He has even hes bleeding if he licks or scratches them. We try to keep a cone on him for most of the time that we can't watch him directly. Just last night, he had another outbreak and he didn't sleep. Our veteranarian cannot see him until Thursday morning...and we are at a loss to find ways to help him. I'm wondering if herpes could be the problem...as all of our antibiotics and antimicrobial creams have not helped. Please give me some advice... thank you!

Poor little guy...it sounds like he is really uncomfortable!

What you are describing does not sound like herpes. We don't really see herpes causing skin problems in dogs.

Although I can't say without seeing your dog, it sounds like he may be dealing with a bacterial skin infection. Most skin infections need something stronger than antibacterial creams. Some will need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics given orally.

Often if an infection clears up but then comes back again a few months later it is because we didn't treat for long enough the first time.

Another possible reason for a skin infection to come back is if we are dealing with a resistant bacteria. Your vet may do a test called a culture where they take some of the pus from a pustule and send it to the lab to find out exactly what is growing and exactly what medicine will cure it.

Some dogs who have chronic skin problems have them because of a thyroid problem. While this is not really common in shih-tzus it can happen.

I hope your dog feels better soon!

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (11824 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (11489 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (14329 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10145 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4101 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4428 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (5481 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (5879 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7237 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (29041 views)