Pimples on dog's stomach.

Breed: Shih-tzu
Your Question: Edit Question
Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all over his stomach. He was extremely itchy and could not sit still. We brought him to our local vet and she seemed to think that it was an allergy and told us to change hi food, his bedding and anything else that we could think of. She gave him Benadryl and other antihistamines and it seemed to go away for a while. But, since then (December 2009) this has happened periodically every three months or so and we have tried everything to get rid of these pimple. They appear raised and sometimes puss-filled. He has even hes bleeding if he licks or scratches them. We try to keep a cone on him for most of the time that we can't watch him directly. Just last night, he had another outbreak and he didn't sleep. Our veteranarian cannot see him until Thursday morning...and we are at a loss to find ways to help him. I'm wondering if herpes could be the problem...as all of our antibiotics and antimicrobial creams have not helped. Please give me some advice... thank you!

Poor little guy...it sounds like he is really uncomfortable!

What you are describing does not sound like herpes. We don't really see herpes causing skin problems in dogs.

Although I can't say without seeing your dog, it sounds like he may be dealing with a bacterial skin infection. Most skin infections need something stronger than antibacterial creams. Some will need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics given orally.

Often if an infection clears up but then comes back again a few months later it is because we didn't treat for long enough the first time.

Another possible reason for a skin infection to come back is if we are dealing with a resistant bacteria. Your vet may do a test called a culture where they take some of the pus from a pustule and send it to the lab to find out exactly what is growing and exactly what medicine will cure it.

Some dogs who have chronic skin problems have them because of a thyroid problem. While this is not really common in shih-tzus it can happen.

I hope your dog feels better soon!

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (5742 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (20665 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (19820 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (12819 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (14219 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (15026 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (28974 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (30836 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (17901 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (23868 views)