Pimples on dog's stomach.

Breed: Shih-tzu
Your Question: Edit Question
Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all over his stomach. He was extremely itchy and could not sit still. We brought him to our local vet and she seemed to think that it was an allergy and told us to change hi food, his bedding and anything else that we could think of. She gave him Benadryl and other antihistamines and it seemed to go away for a while. But, since then (December 2009) this has happened periodically every three months or so and we have tried everything to get rid of these pimple. They appear raised and sometimes puss-filled. He has even hes bleeding if he licks or scratches them. We try to keep a cone on him for most of the time that we can't watch him directly. Just last night, he had another outbreak and he didn't sleep. Our veteranarian cannot see him until Thursday morning...and we are at a loss to find ways to help him. I'm wondering if herpes could be the problem...as all of our antibiotics and antimicrobial creams have not helped. Please give me some advice... thank you!

Poor little guy...it sounds like he is really uncomfortable!

What you are describing does not sound like herpes. We don't really see herpes causing skin problems in dogs.

Although I can't say without seeing your dog, it sounds like he may be dealing with a bacterial skin infection. Most skin infections need something stronger than antibacterial creams. Some will need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics given orally.

Often if an infection clears up but then comes back again a few months later it is because we didn't treat for long enough the first time.

Another possible reason for a skin infection to come back is if we are dealing with a resistant bacteria. Your vet may do a test called a culture where they take some of the pus from a pustule and send it to the lab to find out exactly what is growing and exactly what medicine will cure it.

Some dogs who have chronic skin problems have them because of a thyroid problem. While this is not really common in shih-tzus it can happen.

I hope your dog feels better soon!

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (11977 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12381 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9265 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (4690 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9616 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (7950 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (14989 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (45375 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (19207 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7163 views)