Pimples on dog's stomach.

Breed: Shih-tzu
Your Question: Edit Question
Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all over his stomach. He was extremely itchy and could not sit still. We brought him to our local vet and she seemed to think that it was an allergy and told us to change hi food, his bedding and anything else that we could think of. She gave him Benadryl and other antihistamines and it seemed to go away for a while. But, since then (December 2009) this has happened periodically every three months or so and we have tried everything to get rid of these pimple. They appear raised and sometimes puss-filled. He has even hes bleeding if he licks or scratches them. We try to keep a cone on him for most of the time that we can't watch him directly. Just last night, he had another outbreak and he didn't sleep. Our veteranarian cannot see him until Thursday morning...and we are at a loss to find ways to help him. I'm wondering if herpes could be the problem...as all of our antibiotics and antimicrobial creams have not helped. Please give me some advice... thank you!

Poor little guy...it sounds like he is really uncomfortable!

What you are describing does not sound like herpes. We don't really see herpes causing skin problems in dogs.

Although I can't say without seeing your dog, it sounds like he may be dealing with a bacterial skin infection. Most skin infections need something stronger than antibacterial creams. Some will need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics given orally.

Often if an infection clears up but then comes back again a few months later it is because we didn't treat for long enough the first time.

Another possible reason for a skin infection to come back is if we are dealing with a resistant bacteria. Your vet may do a test called a culture where they take some of the pus from a pustule and send it to the lab to find out exactly what is growing and exactly what medicine will cure it.

Some dogs who have chronic skin problems have them because of a thyroid problem. While this is not really common in shih-tzus it can happen.

I hope your dog feels better soon!

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (44910 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (11034 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (20932 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (39358 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (29306 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (12544 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (9570 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (20033 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (22935 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9418 views)