Pimples on dog's stomach.

Breed: Shih-tzu
Your Question: Edit Question
Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all over his stomach. He was extremely itchy and could not sit still. We brought him to our local vet and she seemed to think that it was an allergy and told us to change hi food, his bedding and anything else that we could think of. She gave him Benadryl and other antihistamines and it seemed to go away for a while. But, since then (December 2009) this has happened periodically every three months or so and we have tried everything to get rid of these pimple. They appear raised and sometimes puss-filled. He has even hes bleeding if he licks or scratches them. We try to keep a cone on him for most of the time that we can't watch him directly. Just last night, he had another outbreak and he didn't sleep. Our veteranarian cannot see him until Thursday morning...and we are at a loss to find ways to help him. I'm wondering if herpes could be the problem...as all of our antibiotics and antimicrobial creams have not helped. Please give me some advice... thank you!

Poor little guy...it sounds like he is really uncomfortable!

What you are describing does not sound like herpes. We don't really see herpes causing skin problems in dogs.

Although I can't say without seeing your dog, it sounds like he may be dealing with a bacterial skin infection. Most skin infections need something stronger than antibacterial creams. Some will need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics given orally.

Often if an infection clears up but then comes back again a few months later it is because we didn't treat for long enough the first time.

Another possible reason for a skin infection to come back is if we are dealing with a resistant bacteria. Your vet may do a test called a culture where they take some of the pus from a pustule and send it to the lab to find out exactly what is growing and exactly what medicine will cure it.

Some dogs who have chronic skin problems have them because of a thyroid problem. While this is not really common in shih-tzus it can happen.

I hope your dog feels better soon!

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8176 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (24771 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8489 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14980 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21950 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9720 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (23235 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (32209 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (21089 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (20407 views)