Cat is always hungry and stealing food.

Breed: unknown
hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4 months ago since then she has not stoped begging for food i thought it would die down after a while but she has got so bad she is stealing food of my childrens plates now i know she is geting more than enough. i feed her wet food and biscuits in the morning and same on the night but she allways steals my other cats food aswell could there be something wrong with her? thanks very much

This will be a hard question to answer without being able to examine Tinkerbelle.

There are only a few things that can cause a cat to be really hungry like this. If Tinkerbelle was an older cat that was constantly looking for food then I would be wondering if she has , but this is not common in a cat younger than 10 years of age.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a lot? If so, it is possible that she has diabetes. Many diabetic cats will be constantly hungry because their muscles cannot store energy properly.

Is she on a good quality food? If she is on a poor quality food then she may need more nutrients.

I'm assuming that the kittens are no longer nursing on her after 4 months. But, if the kittens are still nursing then this can cause her to expend a lot of energy. If this is the case then I would keep the kittens separate from her.

It may help to feed her kitten food for a while.

It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and also examine a stool sample to be sure there aren't any parasites.

I hope she feels better soon!

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (14196 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (11969 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (9415 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (64384 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (9753 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (12002 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (9477 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (10147 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (16926 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (18299 views)