Cat is always hungry and stealing food.

Breed: unknown
hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4 months ago since then she has not stoped begging for food i thought it would die down after a while but she has got so bad she is stealing food of my childrens plates now i know she is geting more than enough. i feed her wet food and biscuits in the morning and same on the night but she allways steals my other cats food aswell could there be something wrong with her? thanks very much

This will be a hard question to answer without being able to examine Tinkerbelle.

There are only a few things that can cause a cat to be really hungry like this. If Tinkerbelle was an older cat that was constantly looking for food then I would be wondering if she has , but this is not common in a cat younger than 10 years of age.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a lot? If so, it is possible that she has diabetes. Many diabetic cats will be constantly hungry because their muscles cannot store energy properly.

Is she on a good quality food? If she is on a poor quality food then she may need more nutrients.

I'm assuming that the kittens are no longer nursing on her after 4 months. But, if the kittens are still nursing then this can cause her to expend a lot of energy. If this is the case then I would keep the kittens separate from her.

It may help to feed her kitten food for a while.

It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and also examine a stool sample to be sure there aren't any parasites.

I hope she feels better soon!

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12776 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10935 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (9077 views)

Vomiting after eating. my pet vomits after eating since 20 days with brownish in color,faeces is loose with... (8549 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31947 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5566 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12910 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6971 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (40706 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (7213 views)