Cat is always hungry and stealing food.

Breed: unknown
hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4 months ago since then she has not stoped begging for food i thought it would die down after a while but she has got so bad she is stealing food of my childrens plates now i know she is geting more than enough. i feed her wet food and biscuits in the morning and same on the night but she allways steals my other cats food aswell could there be something wrong with her? thanks very much

This will be a hard question to answer without being able to examine Tinkerbelle.

There are only a few things that can cause a cat to be really hungry like this. If Tinkerbelle was an older cat that was constantly looking for food then I would be wondering if she has , but this is not common in a cat younger than 10 years of age.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a lot? If so, it is possible that she has diabetes. Many diabetic cats will be constantly hungry because their muscles cannot store energy properly.

Is she on a good quality food? If she is on a poor quality food then she may need more nutrients.

I'm assuming that the kittens are no longer nursing on her after 4 months. But, if the kittens are still nursing then this can cause her to expend a lot of energy. If this is the case then I would keep the kittens separate from her.

It may help to feed her kitten food for a while.

It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and also examine a stool sample to be sure there aren't any parasites.

I hope she feels better soon!

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (8902 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (11351 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (40867 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10801 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (14685 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15049 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (4828 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (10641 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (29087 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (7644 views)