Cat is always hungry and stealing food.

Breed: unknown
hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4 months ago since then she has not stoped begging for food i thought it would die down after a while but she has got so bad she is stealing food of my childrens plates now i know she is geting more than enough. i feed her wet food and biscuits in the morning and same on the night but she allways steals my other cats food aswell could there be something wrong with her? thanks very much

This will be a hard question to answer without being able to examine Tinkerbelle.

There are only a few things that can cause a cat to be really hungry like this. If Tinkerbelle was an older cat that was constantly looking for food then I would be wondering if she has , but this is not common in a cat younger than 10 years of age.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a lot? If so, it is possible that she has diabetes. Many diabetic cats will be constantly hungry because their muscles cannot store energy properly.

Is she on a good quality food? If she is on a poor quality food then she may need more nutrients.

I'm assuming that the kittens are no longer nursing on her after 4 months. But, if the kittens are still nursing then this can cause her to expend a lot of energy. If this is the case then I would keep the kittens separate from her.

It may help to feed her kitten food for a while.

It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and also examine a stool sample to be sure there aren't any parasites.

I hope she feels better soon!

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (16456 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (13954 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (37945 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (14674 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (18497 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (14344 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (20315 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (15380 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (12761 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (16312 views)