Cat is always hungry and stealing food.

Breed: unknown
hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4 months ago since then she has not stoped begging for food i thought it would die down after a while but she has got so bad she is stealing food of my childrens plates now i know she is geting more than enough. i feed her wet food and biscuits in the morning and same on the night but she allways steals my other cats food aswell could there be something wrong with her? thanks very much

This will be a hard question to answer without being able to examine Tinkerbelle.

There are only a few things that can cause a cat to be really hungry like this. If Tinkerbelle was an older cat that was constantly looking for food then I would be wondering if she has , but this is not common in a cat younger than 10 years of age.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a lot? If so, it is possible that she has diabetes. Many diabetic cats will be constantly hungry because their muscles cannot store energy properly.

Is she on a good quality food? If she is on a poor quality food then she may need more nutrients.

I'm assuming that the kittens are no longer nursing on her after 4 months. But, if the kittens are still nursing then this can cause her to expend a lot of energy. If this is the case then I would keep the kittens separate from her.

It may help to feed her kitten food for a while.

It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and also examine a stool sample to be sure there aren't any parasites.

I hope she feels better soon!

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (19719 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (19962 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8643 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13347 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (9334 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (54363 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10203 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (52511 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (18367 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (8536 views)