Cat is always hungry and stealing food.

Breed: unknown
hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4 months ago since then she has not stoped begging for food i thought it would die down after a while but she has got so bad she is stealing food of my childrens plates now i know she is geting more than enough. i feed her wet food and biscuits in the morning and same on the night but she allways steals my other cats food aswell could there be something wrong with her? thanks very much

This will be a hard question to answer without being able to examine Tinkerbelle.

There are only a few things that can cause a cat to be really hungry like this. If Tinkerbelle was an older cat that was constantly looking for food then I would be wondering if she has , but this is not common in a cat younger than 10 years of age.

Does she drink a lot of water and urinate a lot? If so, it is possible that she has diabetes. Many diabetic cats will be constantly hungry because their muscles cannot store energy properly.

Is she on a good quality food? If she is on a poor quality food then she may need more nutrients.

I'm assuming that the kittens are no longer nursing on her after 4 months. But, if the kittens are still nursing then this can cause her to expend a lot of energy. If this is the case then I would keep the kittens separate from her.

It may help to feed her kitten food for a while.

It's a good idea to have your vet examine her and also examine a stool sample to be sure there aren't any parasites.

I hope she feels better soon!

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (14533 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (79997 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11044 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (18567 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (9501 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (21801 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (51871 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (11211 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (37497 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (7431 views)