Regurgitating water.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. he just stops walking and water comes up. The last 2 days, I have had him on a boiled chicken and rice dinner as he's had loose stools. But he seems fine otherwise.

Could I be feeding him too much rice and chicken? I give him 1 cup cooked, white rice and 1/4 lb of boiled, boneless chicken breast.

He is tall and large for a cocker. he weighs 40 lbs and is probably 3-4 lbs overweight.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinion.

Alison

I'm sorry to hear that Basil is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing are not common ones. It is quite uncommon for a dog to just start regurgitating water.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a condition with the esophagus such as megaesophagus. But, it would be unusual for megaesophagus to just come on all of a sudden. Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus gets distended and does not swallow properly.

It is also possible that what you are seeing is just regular vomiting although it's hard to explain why it would be just water that is coming up. There are many causes for vomiting and obviously some are more serious than others. If Basil is bright and still wants to eat then feeding him small meals of chicken and rice is a good idea. But, if this goes on for another 24 hours or if he seems like he is unwell then I would have a vet see him.

The vet will probably want to take an xray to see if there is anything unusual with his esophagus. They may want to use a product called barium which helps us to see the esophagus easier on xray.

I hope that he is feeling better soon!

Thanks, Dr. Marie, for your quick response and insight. He's been off the chicken and rice diet for one day now and he hasn't had the regurgitation problem. It's very strange. But I will keep watching him closely and see if it comes back or worsens.

Alison

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9144 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9575 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13373 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (160348 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (49937 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10398 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (39631 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10673 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (91070 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (40343 views)