Regurgitating water.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. he just stops walking and water comes up. The last 2 days, I have had him on a boiled chicken and rice dinner as he's had loose stools. But he seems fine otherwise.

Could I be feeding him too much rice and chicken? I give him 1 cup cooked, white rice and 1/4 lb of boiled, boneless chicken breast.

He is tall and large for a cocker. he weighs 40 lbs and is probably 3-4 lbs overweight.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinion.

Alison

I'm sorry to hear that Basil is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing are not common ones. It is quite uncommon for a dog to just start regurgitating water.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a condition with the esophagus such as megaesophagus. But, it would be unusual for megaesophagus to just come on all of a sudden. Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus gets distended and does not swallow properly.

It is also possible that what you are seeing is just regular vomiting although it's hard to explain why it would be just water that is coming up. There are many causes for vomiting and obviously some are more serious than others. If Basil is bright and still wants to eat then feeding him small meals of chicken and rice is a good idea. But, if this goes on for another 24 hours or if he seems like he is unwell then I would have a vet see him.

The vet will probably want to take an xray to see if there is anything unusual with his esophagus. They may want to use a product called barium which helps us to see the esophagus easier on xray.

I hope that he is feeling better soon!

Thanks, Dr. Marie, for your quick response and insight. He's been off the chicken and rice diet for one day now and he hasn't had the regurgitation problem. It's very strange. But I will keep watching him closely and see if it comes back or worsens.

Alison

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (9035 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (14056 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (12332 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (6321 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (42168 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (14364 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (34807 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (13552 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (15962 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (9956 views)