Regurgitating water.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. he just stops walking and water comes up. The last 2 days, I have had him on a boiled chicken and rice dinner as he's had loose stools. But he seems fine otherwise.

Could I be feeding him too much rice and chicken? I give him 1 cup cooked, white rice and 1/4 lb of boiled, boneless chicken breast.

He is tall and large for a cocker. he weighs 40 lbs and is probably 3-4 lbs overweight.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinion.

Alison

I'm sorry to hear that Basil is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing are not common ones. It is quite uncommon for a dog to just start regurgitating water.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a condition with the esophagus such as megaesophagus. But, it would be unusual for megaesophagus to just come on all of a sudden. Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus gets distended and does not swallow properly.

It is also possible that what you are seeing is just regular vomiting although it's hard to explain why it would be just water that is coming up. There are many causes for vomiting and obviously some are more serious than others. If Basil is bright and still wants to eat then feeding him small meals of chicken and rice is a good idea. But, if this goes on for another 24 hours or if he seems like he is unwell then I would have a vet see him.

The vet will probably want to take an xray to see if there is anything unusual with his esophagus. They may want to use a product called barium which helps us to see the esophagus easier on xray.

I hope that he is feeling better soon!

Thanks, Dr. Marie, for your quick response and insight. He's been off the chicken and rice diet for one day now and he hasn't had the regurgitation problem. It's very strange. But I will keep watching him closely and see if it comes back or worsens.

Alison

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6898 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (14339 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (25359 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8988 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (17815 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (14503 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (18885 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (16445 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (12494 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (24650 views)