Regurgitating water.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. he just stops walking and water comes up. The last 2 days, I have had him on a boiled chicken and rice dinner as he's had loose stools. But he seems fine otherwise.

Could I be feeding him too much rice and chicken? I give him 1 cup cooked, white rice and 1/4 lb of boiled, boneless chicken breast.

He is tall and large for a cocker. he weighs 40 lbs and is probably 3-4 lbs overweight.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinion.

Alison

I'm sorry to hear that Basil is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing are not common ones. It is quite uncommon for a dog to just start regurgitating water.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a condition with the esophagus such as megaesophagus. But, it would be unusual for megaesophagus to just come on all of a sudden. Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus gets distended and does not swallow properly.

It is also possible that what you are seeing is just regular vomiting although it's hard to explain why it would be just water that is coming up. There are many causes for vomiting and obviously some are more serious than others. If Basil is bright and still wants to eat then feeding him small meals of chicken and rice is a good idea. But, if this goes on for another 24 hours or if he seems like he is unwell then I would have a vet see him.

The vet will probably want to take an xray to see if there is anything unusual with his esophagus. They may want to use a product called barium which helps us to see the esophagus easier on xray.

I hope that he is feeling better soon!

Thanks, Dr. Marie, for your quick response and insight. He's been off the chicken and rice diet for one day now and he hasn't had the regurgitation problem. It's very strange. But I will keep watching him closely and see if it comes back or worsens.

Alison

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61297 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16544 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (28139 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (13974 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34304 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (10938 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5102 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5045 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9359 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8342 views)