Regurgitating water.

Breed: American Cocker Span
Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. he just stops walking and water comes up. The last 2 days, I have had him on a boiled chicken and rice dinner as he's had loose stools. But he seems fine otherwise.

Could I be feeding him too much rice and chicken? I give him 1 cup cooked, white rice and 1/4 lb of boiled, boneless chicken breast.

He is tall and large for a cocker. he weighs 40 lbs and is probably 3-4 lbs overweight.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinion.

Alison

I'm sorry to hear that Basil is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing are not common ones. It is quite uncommon for a dog to just start regurgitating water.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a condition with the esophagus such as megaesophagus. But, it would be unusual for megaesophagus to just come on all of a sudden. Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus gets distended and does not swallow properly.

It is also possible that what you are seeing is just regular vomiting although it's hard to explain why it would be just water that is coming up. There are many causes for vomiting and obviously some are more serious than others. If Basil is bright and still wants to eat then feeding him small meals of chicken and rice is a good idea. But, if this goes on for another 24 hours or if he seems like he is unwell then I would have a vet see him.

The vet will probably want to take an xray to see if there is anything unusual with his esophagus. They may want to use a product called barium which helps us to see the esophagus easier on xray.

I hope that he is feeling better soon!

Thanks, Dr. Marie, for your quick response and insight. He's been off the chicken and rice diet for one day now and he hasn't had the regurgitation problem. It's very strange. But I will keep watching him closely and see if it comes back or worsens.

Alison

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (23111 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8765 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (10192 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11957 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19784 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (5399 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (8476 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (8391 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (19517 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (10381 views)