Dog licking his penis.

Breed: Poodle Bischon mix
My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during walks!!!). We're going out of town tomorrow....what can I apply to stop the licking and prevent a problem?
Gerri

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Toby is having this uncomfortable problem!

The most common reason for a dog to be licking his penis after grooming is some mild clipper burn. Usually if this is the case then we will see some red on his prepuce.

If you are seeing red in this area then you can apply some polysporin or neosporin, or even 1% hydrocortisone cream that can be bought over the counter a few times per day. While it won't hurt him if he licks it, it is best to keep him from licking the area. You can do this by using an elizabethan collar if you have one. (If not, a vet clinic can sell you one). Or, you can see if you can cover the area by putting a t-shirt on him.

It is important to make sure he is urinating ok. Sometimes licking the penis can be a sign of a serious urinary tract problem such as a stone lodged in the urethra. If he is trying to urinate but nothing is coming out then this is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

If he seems really uncomfortable and the creams are not working then he may need to see the vet in the morning. They can prescribe stronger medication to help. It really is a good idea to see the vet if he is quite uncomfortable just to be sure there is not something more serious going on. While it sounds like it could be clipper burn it's possible there is a more serious problem like something called paraphimosis where the penis is swollen and the dog can't get it back in the prepuce. This needs emergency treatment.

Similarly, if the problem is not clearing up by after the weekend then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope the poor guy is feeling better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie!!! I wasn't sure if I could apply regular "human" ointment. We do have a collar and I'll put it on him tonight. I'm pretty sure it's just razor burn...he was fine before.

Thank you SO Very much!!
Gerri

You're very welcome! Tell Toby I hope he is feeling better really soon!

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8093 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (10950 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (20365 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12655 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (10723 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (8936 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9265 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (35125 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5172 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4916 views)