Dog licking his penis.

Breed: Poodle Bischon mix
My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during walks!!!). We're going out of town tomorrow....what can I apply to stop the licking and prevent a problem?
Gerri

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Toby is having this uncomfortable problem!

The most common reason for a dog to be licking his penis after grooming is some mild clipper burn. Usually if this is the case then we will see some red on his prepuce.

If you are seeing red in this area then you can apply some polysporin or neosporin, or even 1% hydrocortisone cream that can be bought over the counter a few times per day. While it won't hurt him if he licks it, it is best to keep him from licking the area. You can do this by using an elizabethan collar if you have one. (If not, a vet clinic can sell you one). Or, you can see if you can cover the area by putting a t-shirt on him.

It is important to make sure he is urinating ok. Sometimes licking the penis can be a sign of a serious urinary tract problem such as a stone lodged in the urethra. If he is trying to urinate but nothing is coming out then this is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

If he seems really uncomfortable and the creams are not working then he may need to see the vet in the morning. They can prescribe stronger medication to help. It really is a good idea to see the vet if he is quite uncomfortable just to be sure there is not something more serious going on. While it sounds like it could be clipper burn it's possible there is a more serious problem like something called paraphimosis where the penis is swollen and the dog can't get it back in the prepuce. This needs emergency treatment.

Similarly, if the problem is not clearing up by after the weekend then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope the poor guy is feeling better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie!!! I wasn't sure if I could apply regular "human" ointment. We do have a collar and I'll put it on him tonight. I'm pretty sure it's just razor burn...he was fine before.

Thank you SO Very much!!
Gerri

You're very welcome! Tell Toby I hope he is feeling better really soon!

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (10569 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (42224 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (13292 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (10061 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (26014 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (17589 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (20951 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (21046 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (15842 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (15118 views)