Dog licking his penis.

Breed: Poodle Bischon mix
My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during walks!!!). We're going out of town tomorrow....what can I apply to stop the licking and prevent a problem?
Gerri

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Toby is having this uncomfortable problem!

The most common reason for a dog to be licking his penis after grooming is some mild clipper burn. Usually if this is the case then we will see some red on his prepuce.

If you are seeing red in this area then you can apply some polysporin or neosporin, or even 1% hydrocortisone cream that can be bought over the counter a few times per day. While it won't hurt him if he licks it, it is best to keep him from licking the area. You can do this by using an elizabethan collar if you have one. (If not, a vet clinic can sell you one). Or, you can see if you can cover the area by putting a t-shirt on him.

It is important to make sure he is urinating ok. Sometimes licking the penis can be a sign of a serious urinary tract problem such as a stone lodged in the urethra. If he is trying to urinate but nothing is coming out then this is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

If he seems really uncomfortable and the creams are not working then he may need to see the vet in the morning. They can prescribe stronger medication to help. It really is a good idea to see the vet if he is quite uncomfortable just to be sure there is not something more serious going on. While it sounds like it could be clipper burn it's possible there is a more serious problem like something called paraphimosis where the penis is swollen and the dog can't get it back in the prepuce. This needs emergency treatment.

Similarly, if the problem is not clearing up by after the weekend then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope the poor guy is feeling better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie!!! I wasn't sure if I could apply regular "human" ointment. We do have a collar and I'll put it on him tonight. I'm pretty sure it's just razor burn...he was fine before.

Thank you SO Very much!!
Gerri

You're very welcome! Tell Toby I hope he is feeling better really soon!

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (12366 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (80500 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15349 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (22584 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (13286 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (13977 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (30976 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25365 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (17359 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (9146 views)