Dog licking his penis.

Breed: Poodle Bischon mix
My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during walks!!!). We're going out of town tomorrow....what can I apply to stop the licking and prevent a problem?
Gerri

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Toby is having this uncomfortable problem!

The most common reason for a dog to be licking his penis after grooming is some mild clipper burn. Usually if this is the case then we will see some red on his prepuce.

If you are seeing red in this area then you can apply some polysporin or neosporin, or even 1% hydrocortisone cream that can be bought over the counter a few times per day. While it won't hurt him if he licks it, it is best to keep him from licking the area. You can do this by using an elizabethan collar if you have one. (If not, a vet clinic can sell you one). Or, you can see if you can cover the area by putting a t-shirt on him.

It is important to make sure he is urinating ok. Sometimes licking the penis can be a sign of a serious urinary tract problem such as a stone lodged in the urethra. If he is trying to urinate but nothing is coming out then this is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

If he seems really uncomfortable and the creams are not working then he may need to see the vet in the morning. They can prescribe stronger medication to help. It really is a good idea to see the vet if he is quite uncomfortable just to be sure there is not something more serious going on. While it sounds like it could be clipper burn it's possible there is a more serious problem like something called paraphimosis where the penis is swollen and the dog can't get it back in the prepuce. This needs emergency treatment.

Similarly, if the problem is not clearing up by after the weekend then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope the poor guy is feeling better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie!!! I wasn't sure if I could apply regular "human" ointment. We do have a collar and I'll put it on him tonight. I'm pretty sure it's just razor burn...he was fine before.

Thank you SO Very much!!
Gerri

You're very welcome! Tell Toby I hope he is feeling better really soon!

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (5978 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (7460 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (12715 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (6982 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (8698 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (7087 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (6071 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (13017 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (7654 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (9677 views)