Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog licking his penis.

Species: Dog
Breed: Poodle Bischon mix
Age: 5-8 years
My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during walks!!!). We're going out of town tomorrow....what can I apply to stop the licking and prevent a problem?
Thanks,
Gerri


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Toby is having this uncomfortable problem!

The most common reason for a dog to be licking his penis after grooming is some mild clipper burn. Usually if this is the case then we will see some red on his prepuce.

If you are seeing red in this area then you can apply some polysporin or neosporin, or even 1% hydrocortisone cream that can be bought over the counter a few times per day. While it won't hurt him if he licks it, it is best to keep him from licking the area. You can do this by using an elizabethan collar if you have one. (If not, a vet clinic can sell you one). Or, you can see if you can cover the area by putting a t-shirt on him.

It is important to make sure he is urinating ok. Sometimes licking the penis can be a sign of a serious urinary tract problem such as a stone lodged in the urethra. If he is trying to urinate but nothing is coming out then this is an emergency and he needs to be seen right away.

If he seems really uncomfortable and the creams are not working then he may need to see the vet in the morning. They can prescribe stronger medication to help. It really is a good idea to see the vet if he is quite uncomfortable just to be sure there is not something more serious going on. While it sounds like it could be clipper burn it's possible there is a more serious problem like something called paraphimosis where the penis is swollen and the dog can't get it back in the prepuce. This needs emergency treatment.

Similarly, if the problem is not clearing up by after the weekend then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope the poor guy is feeling better soon!

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you Dr. Marie!!! I wasn't sure if I could apply regular "human" ointment. We do have a collar and I'll put it on him tonight. I'm pretty sure it's just razor burn...he was fine before.

Thank you SO Very much!!
Gerri


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! Tell Toby I hope he is feeling better really soon!

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (6764 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (3334 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (6051 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (6812 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (40887 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (7992 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (11483 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (8621 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (56857 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (12686 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.