Licking at private parts.

Breed: Maine Coon
I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food diet 6am & Midnight and Wellness Canned 12noon and 6PM, He is eating and playing normally but over the last week we have noticed him cleaning his private parts more, my husband noticed when he used the litter box this morning that the fecal matter was dry and had some blood on it. Should he be seen? Trying to avoid taking him in.

Hi there Rebecca!

Maine Coons are wonderful cats but they often can have problems with their beautifully long coats.

From what you have described, most likely he is overgrooming himself to try to get rid of the fecal matter that is stuck to him. From experience this can be very difficult to get rid of!

In our practice I find we almost always have to shave the area to clean it properly. You may want to phone your vet clinic and see if they could have the technician staff shave Thunder. This way you can save money by not having to have a physical exam with the doctor.

I have found that bathing just makes matters worse. Plus, if we leave it too long, often the skin underneath gets infected and this is very uncomfortable.

Whenever a cat is grooming in this area I get a little bit concerned about urinary tract disease which can be serious, but most likely this is simply because of the poop issue.

I hope he does ok!

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (70222 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7883 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (9531 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (9267 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (31629 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (41013 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (15600 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9896 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (10262 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (5775 views)