Licking at private parts.

Breed: Maine Coon
I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food diet 6am & Midnight and Wellness Canned 12noon and 6PM, He is eating and playing normally but over the last week we have noticed him cleaning his private parts more, my husband noticed when he used the litter box this morning that the fecal matter was dry and had some blood on it. Should he be seen? Trying to avoid taking him in.

Hi there Rebecca!

Maine Coons are wonderful cats but they often can have problems with their beautifully long coats.

From what you have described, most likely he is overgrooming himself to try to get rid of the fecal matter that is stuck to him. From experience this can be very difficult to get rid of!

In our practice I find we almost always have to shave the area to clean it properly. You may want to phone your vet clinic and see if they could have the technician staff shave Thunder. This way you can save money by not having to have a physical exam with the doctor.

I have found that bathing just makes matters worse. Plus, if we leave it too long, often the skin underneath gets infected and this is very uncomfortable.

Whenever a cat is grooming in this area I get a little bit concerned about urinary tract disease which can be serious, but most likely this is simply because of the poop issue.

I hope he does ok!

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (16640 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (10852 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18909 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (12709 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20007 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30588 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6795 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9519 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (7899 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7134 views)