Licking at private parts.

Breed: Maine Coon
I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food diet 6am & Midnight and Wellness Canned 12noon and 6PM, He is eating and playing normally but over the last week we have noticed him cleaning his private parts more, my husband noticed when he used the litter box this morning that the fecal matter was dry and had some blood on it. Should he be seen? Trying to avoid taking him in.

Hi there Rebecca!

Maine Coons are wonderful cats but they often can have problems with their beautifully long coats.

From what you have described, most likely he is overgrooming himself to try to get rid of the fecal matter that is stuck to him. From experience this can be very difficult to get rid of!

In our practice I find we almost always have to shave the area to clean it properly. You may want to phone your vet clinic and see if they could have the technician staff shave Thunder. This way you can save money by not having to have a physical exam with the doctor.

I have found that bathing just makes matters worse. Plus, if we leave it too long, often the skin underneath gets infected and this is very uncomfortable.

Whenever a cat is grooming in this area I get a little bit concerned about urinary tract disease which can be serious, but most likely this is simply because of the poop issue.

I hope he does ok!

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (18340 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7985 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (10173 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (13380 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10678 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7994 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (39811 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9198 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67686 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (45516 views)