Licking at private parts.

Breed: Maine Coon
I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food diet 6am & Midnight and Wellness Canned 12noon and 6PM, He is eating and playing normally but over the last week we have noticed him cleaning his private parts more, my husband noticed when he used the litter box this morning that the fecal matter was dry and had some blood on it. Should he be seen? Trying to avoid taking him in.

Hi there Rebecca!

Maine Coons are wonderful cats but they often can have problems with their beautifully long coats.

From what you have described, most likely he is overgrooming himself to try to get rid of the fecal matter that is stuck to him. From experience this can be very difficult to get rid of!

In our practice I find we almost always have to shave the area to clean it properly. You may want to phone your vet clinic and see if they could have the technician staff shave Thunder. This way you can save money by not having to have a physical exam with the doctor.

I have found that bathing just makes matters worse. Plus, if we leave it too long, often the skin underneath gets infected and this is very uncomfortable.

Whenever a cat is grooming in this area I get a little bit concerned about urinary tract disease which can be serious, but most likely this is simply because of the poop issue.

I hope he does ok!

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10821 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8794 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10345 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (64209 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11388 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (8125 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43826 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15340 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19967 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13782 views)