Licking at private parts.

Breed: Maine Coon
I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food diet 6am & Midnight and Wellness Canned 12noon and 6PM, He is eating and playing normally but over the last week we have noticed him cleaning his private parts more, my husband noticed when he used the litter box this morning that the fecal matter was dry and had some blood on it. Should he be seen? Trying to avoid taking him in.

Hi there Rebecca!

Maine Coons are wonderful cats but they often can have problems with their beautifully long coats.

From what you have described, most likely he is overgrooming himself to try to get rid of the fecal matter that is stuck to him. From experience this can be very difficult to get rid of!

In our practice I find we almost always have to shave the area to clean it properly. You may want to phone your vet clinic and see if they could have the technician staff shave Thunder. This way you can save money by not having to have a physical exam with the doctor.

I have found that bathing just makes matters worse. Plus, if we leave it too long, often the skin underneath gets infected and this is very uncomfortable.

Whenever a cat is grooming in this area I get a little bit concerned about urinary tract disease which can be serious, but most likely this is simply because of the poop issue.

I hope he does ok!

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (21800 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (12436 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (29278 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (12874 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (8550 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (14537 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (17142 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (12591 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (77022 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (7125 views)