Submissive urination.

Breed: cockapoo
I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked out. I have owned big dogs in the past. The rescue thought he was 2-3 yo. Since I've had him home, I have noticed that he does not seem to drink very much, despite water being readily available. He also only urinates maybe twice a day, even though I walk him many times. He seems to get distracted when we walk, getting a scent, and then losing it. The problem is he has submissive urination, and pees when he's excited. I am so tired of cleaning up urine and going for walks. I read that this condition is out of his control. I do not yell at him, but it is frustrating that he begins to pee and I take him out and nothing happens.
He has one testicle, which the vet says is "empty". She thought that he might have been recently neutered.
He also does not like the crate, and I've been slowly getting him in it when he eats. I don't want him urinating in my bedroom or bed. I can't leave my house.
What can I do to entice him to pee outside and eliminate this issue. Any additional help getting him to accept the crate would be great.

Bless you for adopting Bailey!

I don't usually get too worried about a dog not drinking much (unless it is combined with a lack of appetite and lethargy). Some dogs need less water than others.

If your vet feels he was recently neutered then he still may have some testosterone in his system. This could be why he gets distracted easily on his walks. If this is the case it should get better over the next few weeks.

I definitely agree that submissive urination can be frustrating. There are a number of things you can do to help curb this habit though:

• The first thing I would do is have your vet do a urinalysis on his urine just to be sure there is no medical problem. If there is any sort of inflammation in his bladder then this can make the submissive urination worse.

• Not making a fuss of him. If we can reduce the amount of excitement, then this can reduce the bad behavior. So, try to make no eye contact. Bend down to his level and put your hand out for him to smell. He should get used to you being near him and not have to urinate.

• You may want to try something called stay training. To do this, you teach the dog to go to a particular corner of the room on command and sit and stay. Once this is accomplished, you practice telling him to stay and then go near him and then go away. Do this repeatedly and he should get the idea. Then, the trick is getting him to repeat this during a time when he might be more excited. So, when you come home after being away for a while, tell him to go and sit in his corner and then quietly come in the house. Once you have been in for a while you can release him from the stay. This should greatly reduce the urinating.

• It will also help to teach him to urinate on command outside by saying a code word such as "hurry up" whenever he is peeing. Then, when he finishes his pee reward him with a treat.

• If he does urinate inside, do not punish him. He will think he is being punished for urinating (and likely not understand that it is because he urinated inside) and then he will not want to urinate with you when you take him outside.

Regarding his crate, lots of good experiences are the best thing. Find something he likes, like a toy kong stuffed with peanut butter, or some other type of treat and make sure he can only have that treat when he is in the crate.

Start with small stays in the crate and gradually work up the amount of time he is in there.

If he is really anxious about being in the crate then you may need to have a behavioral consult with your vet to talk about anti-anxiety medications. These are usually only needed for a few months until he adjusts and then we can often wean dogs off.

I hope this helps!

I will be heading offline now (you caught me just before bed) but if you have more concerns I will check in again in the morning.

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (19007 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (12325 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (31540 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (7054 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (19759 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (51694 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (11577 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (12342 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (37751 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (15278 views)