Incontinent after exercise.

Breed: Shepherd mix (rescue
Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have incontinence after heavy exercise. She'll normally jump in the river to cool off/drink after we play for 30 min or so and then go home. If I have to leave her for a while after play I have been finding signs of incontinence in her bed or other places. Sometimes quite a lot. It's only after heavy exertion and normally swimming after. Is she simply drinking too much water from the river after exercise? She seems to get overheated much easier this year than last.

Tim

Interesting question. There's no specific disease condition that I am aware of that would cause incontinence after exercise, but I have a theory.

When a female dog is having urinary incontinence in the bed and other resting places, the most common reason is something called USMI or Urinary Sphincter Mechanism Incontinence. You can read more about this condition and how it is treated in this article: USMI in dogs.

It's not a serious problem and can usually be controlled with medication (as mentioned in the article referenced above.) However, why would it be seen only after exercise? My theory is that after heavy exercise your dog would be more likely to have a deep sleep. The incontinence with USMI happens when the dog is really relaxed and the bladder just lets go. This could be what is going on.

Still, it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at a urine sample from Keeley to make sure that there is not some other reason. It's unlikely that this is related to an infection as usually there would be some straining and pain, but it's not impossible. The urine test will give an idea of kidney function as well. Dogs with kidney problems will sometimes have incontinence. But this really doesn't sound like a kidney problem to me.

If the tests are normal then the vet will likely prescribe some medication for USMI.

I hope that helps!

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (8889 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10399 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7301 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8045 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (14754 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5347 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (67886 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10881 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17358 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7440 views)