Incontinent after exercise.

Breed: Shepherd mix (rescue
Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have incontinence after heavy exercise. She'll normally jump in the river to cool off/drink after we play for 30 min or so and then go home. If I have to leave her for a while after play I have been finding signs of incontinence in her bed or other places. Sometimes quite a lot. It's only after heavy exertion and normally swimming after. Is she simply drinking too much water from the river after exercise? She seems to get overheated much easier this year than last.

Tim

Interesting question. There's no specific disease condition that I am aware of that would cause incontinence after exercise, but I have a theory.

When a female dog is having urinary incontinence in the bed and other resting places, the most common reason is something called USMI or Urinary Sphincter Mechanism Incontinence. You can read more about this condition and how it is treated in this article: USMI in dogs.

It's not a serious problem and can usually be controlled with medication (as mentioned in the article referenced above.) However, why would it be seen only after exercise? My theory is that after heavy exercise your dog would be more likely to have a deep sleep. The incontinence with USMI happens when the dog is really relaxed and the bladder just lets go. This could be what is going on.

Still, it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at a urine sample from Keeley to make sure that there is not some other reason. It's unlikely that this is related to an infection as usually there would be some straining and pain, but it's not impossible. The urine test will give an idea of kidney function as well. Dogs with kidney problems will sometimes have incontinence. But this really doesn't sound like a kidney problem to me.

If the tests are normal then the vet will likely prescribe some medication for USMI.

I hope that helps!

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (45034 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6361 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15239 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (71103 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (4979 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10449 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14001 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (24057 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6632 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (20593 views)