Incontinent after exercise.

Breed: Shepherd mix (rescue
Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have incontinence after heavy exercise. She'll normally jump in the river to cool off/drink after we play for 30 min or so and then go home. If I have to leave her for a while after play I have been finding signs of incontinence in her bed or other places. Sometimes quite a lot. It's only after heavy exertion and normally swimming after. Is she simply drinking too much water from the river after exercise? She seems to get overheated much easier this year than last.

Tim

Interesting question. There's no specific disease condition that I am aware of that would cause incontinence after exercise, but I have a theory.

When a female dog is having urinary incontinence in the bed and other resting places, the most common reason is something called USMI or Urinary Sphincter Mechanism Incontinence. You can read more about this condition and how it is treated in this article: USMI in dogs.

It's not a serious problem and can usually be controlled with medication (as mentioned in the article referenced above.) However, why would it be seen only after exercise? My theory is that after heavy exercise your dog would be more likely to have a deep sleep. The incontinence with USMI happens when the dog is really relaxed and the bladder just lets go. This could be what is going on.

Still, it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at a urine sample from Keeley to make sure that there is not some other reason. It's unlikely that this is related to an infection as usually there would be some straining and pain, but it's not impossible. The urine test will give an idea of kidney function as well. Dogs with kidney problems will sometimes have incontinence. But this really doesn't sound like a kidney problem to me.

If the tests are normal then the vet will likely prescribe some medication for USMI.

I hope that helps!

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (48135 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (11563 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (27878 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (11816 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (8261 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (26039 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (7977 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (11189 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9016 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (23926 views)