Incontinent after exercise.

Breed: Shepherd mix (rescue
Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have incontinence after heavy exercise. She'll normally jump in the river to cool off/drink after we play for 30 min or so and then go home. If I have to leave her for a while after play I have been finding signs of incontinence in her bed or other places. Sometimes quite a lot. It's only after heavy exertion and normally swimming after. Is she simply drinking too much water from the river after exercise? She seems to get overheated much easier this year than last.

Tim

Interesting question. There's no specific disease condition that I am aware of that would cause incontinence after exercise, but I have a theory.

When a female dog is having urinary incontinence in the bed and other resting places, the most common reason is something called USMI or Urinary Sphincter Mechanism Incontinence. You can read more about this condition and how it is treated in this article: USMI in dogs.

It's not a serious problem and can usually be controlled with medication (as mentioned in the article referenced above.) However, why would it be seen only after exercise? My theory is that after heavy exercise your dog would be more likely to have a deep sleep. The incontinence with USMI happens when the dog is really relaxed and the bladder just lets go. This could be what is going on.

Still, it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at a urine sample from Keeley to make sure that there is not some other reason. It's unlikely that this is related to an infection as usually there would be some straining and pain, but it's not impossible. The urine test will give an idea of kidney function as well. Dogs with kidney problems will sometimes have incontinence. But this really doesn't sound like a kidney problem to me.

If the tests are normal then the vet will likely prescribe some medication for USMI.

I hope that helps!

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6592 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16625 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10226 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (6104 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (25336 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14847 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (16483 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7395 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (17318 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7912 views)